1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Community Created Custom Content Compliance (C5): What is it?

Discussion in 'Neverwinter Nights 2' started by dunniteowl, Sep 11, 2006.

1. dunniteowl Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Hello, all, I have been a member for some time now without making much noise. I have been lurking quietly, which is very unlike me. Recently I have become a staff member of a place known as NeverWinter Citadel Project. It is a meeting grounds of sorts, similar in some ways to the Board`o'Magick, except that we also deal with Custom Content Creation and how it is to be implemented, done and what tools are useable for doing so.

With NWN2 just around the corner, I would like to invite you all to join in the discussion going on in this thread: Community Created Custom Content Compliance (C5): What is it?

The concept of having a set of standards and practices, is, I feel, an overall benefit to the community at large. The issues of having hard drive bloat from all the separate hak packs that may contain the same information, the issues related to installing all those hak packs and their potential to overwrite either OC material, other module information or the conflicts of resources with the same names. All these and more having a set of standards and practices that the community can support would go long way to making the installation and use of CC much easier for the majority of the community, the gamers who do not themselves develop CC, though who will use it. There are also many module makers out there who do not design CC, yet still look for it to use.

All of this is to be addressed in the ongoing discussion of standards. Included is the concept of whether or not the idea of standards would be in the overall best interests of the community.

I do hope that any of you that have an interest in the use or creation of CC for NWN2 stop on by and join in the discussion linked above. Clearly no single voice has the power to say, "This is the way we're going to do it, community-wide." After all, this is the highest level of ludicrous arrogance to even think that it could be carried out this way.

This is why it is so important to have as many people read it, ponder it, discuss it and make your points of views be known on this issue. I welcome you and consider that, as a part of the community, your voices and opinions are just as important as any others, especially when talking about something that has the potential to affect the community as a whole.

I percieve that this will positively affect the community that it intends to serve. Whatever we can do to make things easier in the long run for all users of Custom Content, the better the use of said CC will be. More CC that doesn't conflict with OC material, other CC and "plays nice" with the rest of it can only lead to making the world a longer lasting NeverWinter Nights 2 with more ease for everyone.

Once again, I invite you to come over and visit the Citadel and read the linked thread topic above. I thank you for your time and patience, as well as your attention to this matter of community wide relevance.

dunniteowl

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.