1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Coffee

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Gaear, Apr 5, 2012.

1. Master of Nuhn

Master of Nuhn Wear it like a crown Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Do you mean Keurig? (You Americans really tend to screw up the the order of those characters. ;) :D ) Btw, "keurig" is Dutch for neat/proper/respectable. :D

We have similar coffee makers here. I've got a "Senseo", it's not very fulfilling. My best friend has a neat machine that really makes awesome espresso's. You know: put beans in it and black gold drips out.

2. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

My fault. I started the Kuerig line... yes, it should be stated as Keurig.

The attachment to use ground beans that you grind yourself actually doesn't come close to a nice pot of a fresh grind.

3. Master of Nuhn

Master of Nuhn Wear it like a crown Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Oh, nevermind that. That was just me nitpicking (and taking the chance to make fun of Americans/English speaking people :p ;) )

I have a simple, regular coffee maker as well, but I only use it when I have visitors. It works best when I make at least 4 cups and when I make 4 cups of coffee for myself, the last one has already been evaporated or reduced/thickened to tar.

4. Arctic Daishi Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Media:
    I very rarely drink coffee, but when I do it's usually at a coffee house or when they do free coffee Thursday at my college (once a month). I don't really have a preferred way of having my coffee though and I am perfectly fine with drinking it black.

5. Vorona

Vorona Shadow-Whisperer

I don't know what it is either. But there is a difference in coffee flavor depending on what kind of apparatus you are using. I've found that Melitta cones make the best coffee (but apparently, French presses are good too -- I haven't tried one yet). Basically, the cone has holes in the bottom, and you put a filter and coffee in it. Then you pour boiling water over it and it drips into the cup.

You'd think a drip machine would do the same thing, but drip machine coffee is not as good as Melitta coffee -- even if I use the same exact coffee. I also once had a Gevalia coffee maker that made coffee into two travel mugs. God, that stuff was awful. I'm not sure if it was the travel mugs or the coffee maker.

I haven't found any Keurig coffee I like. I tried it for awhile, since our school has a Keurig machine, and at least that way I could have coffee that wasn't burned (they leave the pot on continuously throughout the day) later in the afternoon. But over time, I realized I didn't really like it.

I like teas and tisanes, too. The only "tea" I really don't like is Rooibos. Lately, I've been really enjoying green teas of various types/flavors.

6. Master of Nuhn

Media:
    This is basically how a standard electric coffee maker works here. Are American coffee machines usually different?

7. Vorona

Vorona Shadow-Whisperer

No, it's not different in America. But it still tastes different. Maybe it has something to do with the place you put the cold water into that changes the flavor of the water before it hits the coffee? It really surprised me that there was a difference in taste since, as you say, it's basically the same thing. The only difference is that you boil the water separately, not in the coffee maker.

Master of Nuhn likes this.
  8. Master of Nuhn

Media:
    Never gave it much thought, but I'm sure you're right. Many coffee machines work differently. Some heat the water while it's being pumped towards the filter. Others boil it first and then pump it away. Different materials are used. Temperature might differ. Cone shaped or cylinder shaped filters... I guess there's a lot of factors, yeah. :) And here (because we all use tap water for everything) the water quality is also a factor, of course.

I'd like to try an old fashioned Italian percolator and see if it's any good. For some reason I never tried one.

9. Gaear

Gaear ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful

Media:
    [​IMG]

:D

10. Master of Nuhn

Media:
    :D You look way different than the pics on your profile, AD. :p

11. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    On the subject of :coffee:

It is said that beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. Likewise, coffee is proof that God believes in us and expects us to be productive the following day. If a hangover is punishment for overindulgence in the former, the latter is surely one's atonement.

No gentleman drinks coffee that can be purchased at Wal Mart, unless he has no other choice. The road through Moria is preferable to Folgier's.
    See also: coffee vending machines; petrol station coffee; instant coffee.

A gentleman recognizes the crassness and wastefulness of Keurig coffee makers, but keeps his disdain to himself.

A gentleman eschews cream and sugar in his coffee generally, and only in small amounts if he must. A gentleman likes his coffee to taste like coffee, and thus does not sully it with condiments. In short, a gentleman orders it black. If he'd wanted a coco, he'd have ordered a coco.

If one insists on the impurity of condiments, a gentleman never sullies his coffee with the chemical sh*t storm that is powdered non-dairy creamers and artificial sweeteners. Only actual cream and actual sugar are acceptable, and only in amounts small enough not to mask the flavor of the coffee itself.

The caramel mocha frappacino: no.
    See also: white chocolate mocha; peppermint latte; absence of dignity.

When the means are available, a gentleman grinds his own beans and uses a french press.

A gentleman sees the purchase of a high-quality burr grinder and 16-oz. french press as a worthy investment.

A gentleman explores his neighborhood and city for an independent coffee shop that offers a wide, curated selection of coffee and tea, notes the location to his friends, and shows appreciation for their artisanship by his regular patronage. In his spare time, he finds a second location, for emergencies.

A gentleman doesn't encourage the ubiquity and sliding standards of Starbucks by giving them his money unless, naturally, he has no other choice.

Lastly, if a gentleman can utter, without jest or irony, the phrase "I like my coffee like I like my women – hot, black, and strong," he has indeed won at life, and is entitled to be greeted with the firm, respectful salute normally reserved for 4-star generals.

/endcoffeesermon

Last edited: Mar 20, 2013
    WurstBane, Dice, Vorona and 3 others like this.
  12. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Oh man, I so wanted to rep you for that post DR, but it won't let me. So I guess the simple "thanks" button will have to suffice.

By the way, a gentleman may use cream or half and half if available in small amounts so long as it does not actually mask the taste of the coffee (unless such masking is required due to the fact that the coffee was obtained from one of the unmentionable sources), but would prefer to avoid milk, especially milk that has been tampered with in order to reduce its fat content, which must be given wide berth similar to a leper or plague victim.

Sugar is for children.

:p

Death Rabbit likes this.
  13. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I suppose the cream thing works. Milk, never.

Believe it or not, grass-fed butter (a teaspoon, tops) makes for amazing coffee, especially if it's a full-bodied dark roast.

14. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Espresso with no milk or sugar and definitely none of that non dairy creamer stuff that some people seem to use.

Master of Nuhn likes this.
  15. Master of Nuhn

Media:
    Habemus Caffeinator! :pope: :coffee:

16. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I think the only thing I put in coffee is Bailey's.

I was flying home in uniform back ... a long time ago. I was in my summer whites and there was a flight attendant who was hitting on me. The plane was nearly empty and we were playing card and drinking coffee -- mine was magically infused with Bailey's at every refill. After about three or four of these came a somewhat masked proposition that I had to gently turn down ... he just wasn't my type.

17. Vorona

Vorona Shadow-Whisperer

Death Rabbit -- I've always aspired to be a gentleman. Looks like I'm on the right path, at least in regards to my coffee consumption!

18. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    I can't hack pure black coffee. It's too harsh to the taste buds. I love it with Bailey's in, or cream, or a generous glug of milk - but not black, bleurgh.

19. Death Rabbit

Media:
    What a poof.

Harbourboy likes this.
  20. fastfritz Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Coffee improvment

I used to travel 5-6 days a week and McDonalds was always convenient and I liked their Egg Mcmuffin but their coffee tasted like they bought the airlines left over coffee and then rewarmed it. It really was almost undrinkable and bore no resemblance to coffee but was remarkably like hot bilge water. I now avoid it whenever possible but can at least drink it. It used to be a -2 on a scale of 10 now its a 3-4.:cool:

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.