1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Clock/Calendar Project: The Radio Receiver

Discussion in 'BoM Blogs' started by Blackthorne TA, Jan 19, 2013.

1. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Well the first thing I needed was the WWVB receiver. I wasn't going to try to make one myself because that would be a whole project in itself and really not my specialty. I'm sure I would not end up with something that would work as well as what an expert made.

So, I looked around the web for some place that sold a WWVB receiver module and antenna. I found a few, but unfortunately none of them had any for sale now; the model that they had sold was now discontinued for some reason with no replacement.

I found one place that seemed to be a manufacturer, but they wanted more for a module and antenna than the cost of a cheap radio controlled clock that could be bought commercially, and I wasn't comfortable buying from such a place.

Instead, I took a chance and bought the cheapest commercial radio controlled clock I could find in the hopes that it would contain a WWVB module and antenna that would be easily extractable.

Here is a picture of that clock, brand new in its package:
    [​IMG]

And here is a picture of it opened up:
    [​IMG]

The picture is a bit blurry; I must have done it freehand. I think it's clear enough to see the antenna at the top, and to the left of the PCB you can see that the WWVB receiver is indeed a separate module soldered into the larger PCB. The red wires are Kynar wire-wrap wires I attached to the header pins of the module to probe to make sure I knew what each of them did.

Here is a picture after I extracted the antenna from the clips and glue:
    [​IMG]

And here is a better picture with the antenna extracted and the main PCB and LCD display removed from the case:
    [​IMG]
    In this one it's clear to see the small module attached to the antenna and the four small pins that are soldered to attach the module to the main PCB.

And finally, here is the antenna and WWVB receiver module completely extracted from the clock:
    [​IMG]

Those four pins are the interface to the module. Two are for power and ground. One is to enable or disable the receiver (probably for power saving since it's from a battery controlled clock). The final pin is the demodulated WWVB signal that I need to look at to determine the time code.

So that's how I got the heart of the radio controlled clock/calendar!

Next time I will discuss the other parts I used to complete the design.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 20, 2015
  2. Gaear

Gaear ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful

Media:
    Neat. :) Have you tried using your camera's macro mode for closeup shots?

3. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I haven't, but I'll check to see if it has one the next time I take a picture. It's just a little point-and-shoot thing. :)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.