1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Cleric is missing all the time (BG2)

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by ShinichiWTB, Jun 3, 2012.

1. ShinichiWTB Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I'm playing cleric (priest of helm) in single player mode.
    Cleric is missing all the time. Cannot pass the first combat with memphits.
    (yes I know, I can use some spells or choose different class but that's not it)

Cleric has str 18, and using mace with one proficiency slot. I simply cannot pass this first combat. restarted few times. same problem.
    Can't hit anything. Imoen is hitting from time to time but also missing VERY often.

Is it a bug or something else (is the cleric buggy??).

p.s.
    I have official patch installed. ;)

2. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    Those memphits are difficult for clerics, thieves and mages. Not so much the electrical ones, but all the other ones found in the dungeon. Use your spells, that's what they are for.

Although your cleric shouldn't be doing any worse than Imoen, he shouldn't be doing any better (save for better HP and a lower AC, but we're talking offense, not defense). Try enabling the options to show you the die rolls and see if you are just having bad luck or if you really are having a harder time hitting than Imoen.

3. ShinichiWTB Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

OK. Thanks for the info.

I must admit that I was quite suspicious about cleric HtH combat with those memphits when I saw so many missed attacks (many critical misses also - simply not probable).
    I was watching closely and never saw a single hit. :D So cleric has a 100% miss. :D
    Imoen was slightly better but not much. Not to mention that I've died in a first combat few times. :D
    I wanted to see if cleric can defeat memphits in close HtH combat.
    Obviously not. ;)

Can you tell me where is the option to enable die rolls?

4. gorgon82 Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

HtH? Why not just go to the room with the golem, just NW of your cell and grab some weapons and armor? I've only ever used HtH with a monk.

5. Gafgorkion Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Veteran

He technically meant melee combat, not hand to hand, since in his first post he said he was using a mace.

As for turning on the die rolls, there should be an option for it in the main menu. I also suggest doing this, because it shows exactly when you get an attack roll which is probably less often than you think so you aren't missing as many attacks as you think.

Remember that one round is six seconds long. A cleric only gets one attack per round, so he is only getting one attack every six seconds. Visually on screen he swings his mace more often than that, but that is just to make it more exciting to watch because it would be too boring if he just stood there doing nothing and only swinging his mace every six seconds. So not every swing is an actual attack roll.

Also is there any reason you decided to not take Minsc and/or Jaheira? As fighter classes, they will have a much better THAC0 than your cleric. Your cleric is level 8 I assume? That's a base 16 THAC0, and with 18 strength, your total THAC0 is only 15. Minsc at level 8 would have base 13 THAC0 and with 18/90 strength and weapon specialization his total THAC0 is 10, which is much better. Not to mention he gets two attacks per round versus your cleric's one attack per round.

6. damedog Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Resourceful Veteran

Cast Draw Upon Holy Might and your cleric should hit things just fine. Or you could use the Seeking Sword ability that Clerics of Helm have. I think it gives you 3 attacks per round.

7. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    By HtH combat, do you mean melee combat? I thought you were using a mace. In AD&D, HtH combat means physical combat without a weapon, although it is often hand-to-claw. I'm not trying to yell at your or be condescending, just trying to point out the correct terminology. Just like everything you meet in a dungeon is called a "monster" even if it is a member of the human race of lawful good alignment.

If you were indeed using HtH combat, no wonder you were getting creamed. Only the Monk can pull it off well. Everyone else gets a -4 penalty.

As for how to turn on that option, click on the disk icon near the bottom-left of the screen, then click on "gameplay" then "feedback" then "to-hit rolls". You might want to enable everything on "Feedback".

Then your combat will look like this:
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 20, 2015
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.