1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Classic gaming -- The end of

Discussion in 'BoM Blogs' started by Disciple of The Watch, Apr 19, 2010.

1. Disciple of The Watch

Disciple of The Watch Preparing The Coming of The New Order Veteran

Seeing as I'm running out of stuff to review, and judging by the lack of interest, I'll be putting Classic gaming reviews on the shelf effective now.

Obviously, I am the only enthusiast of older consoles and games, and that's fine with me. Obviously there is no place on SP for nostalgic gaming, and I've decided to pull the plug. Phone reviews will also be halted. Again, I choose to do so because of a lack of interest.

2. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Why give up due to lack of interest? I'm sure the reviews are of limited interest at any given time, but could be useful to any number of people in certain circumstances.

Besides, aren't blogs more for yourself than for others? :)

3. Disciple of The Watch

Disciple of The Watch Preparing The Coming of The New Order Veteran

BTA, lack of stuff to review was another reason. Some of those classic consoles does not come cheap, and I'm on a limited budget, so adding consoles to my collection is a very sporadic event. Adding games is more frequent, but even so it still remains an expensive hobby. I was lucky to find a Colecovision for cheap through acquintances, but under normal circumstances this is a console that fetches a pretty price. I saw a brand new one in box, with the original receipt to boot selling for $150. Atari 5200s don't come for cheap either, add to that the cost of a refurb controller or an adaptor for 2600/Master System/Genesis controller, and that makes for a hefty bill.

And when I cite "lack of interest", I was hoping to light up the vintage gaming spark, initiate a bit of discussion of the "did you know X, that Y does that", that kind of stuff. I wanted a place where classic games from our past would be appreciated, a place where the "Better graphics = better game" mentality is suspended. I whipped out the Colecovision last week while at some friend's, and those primitive, crude games, with a healthy dose of fog were a hell of a lot of fun, and the day blazed by without my realizing it.

That being said, I wasn't expecting groundbreaking success with those reviews, but I feel like I'm doing monologues, and while I am very fond of myself, I'm not too fond of monologues.

As for putting phone reviews under the axe, SP's not a phone forum, so my stuff founds like obscure techno-gibberish, and besides, I seldomly get my hands on new phones, and those I get are worthless to the techno-gadget phones that have became a standard. Nobody here other than me really gives a rat's ass about unlocking, other wireless standards, or what I think whatsoever, and I realized that, and I found another community of enthusiasts who appreciate this kind of stuff, so this new community has become the center of my cellphone-related interests, so I've decided to pull the plug on something that was of little interest to the SP community to begin with.

I'll still answer questions and/or share thoughts about specific phones, networks, etc on request, but effective right now, I'll no longer be upping new reviews. Call this the curtain call of the DotW blog... I'll go back to posting nonsense while under the influence and just chilling out on the boards.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.