1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Classic gaming -- Castlevania Symphony of The Night for PSX

Discussion in 'BoM Blogs' started by Disciple of The Watch, Apr 16, 2010.

1. Disciple of The Watch

Disciple of The Watch Preparing The Coming of The New Order Veteran

I'm testing the waters for interest in PSX reviews, and what better game to pick on the PSX than THE VERY BEST Castlevania game EVER, running neck-and-neck with Super Castlevania IV, which is also a superb game.

In SoTN, you play as Alucard, which is the son of Dracula. HOWEVER, the first part of the game, which is the ending of Dracula X, BTW, you play as Richter Belmont and fight Dracula. The better you fare in this fight, the better Alucard's attributes will be. Not going to spoil anything. Anyways, once you kill Dracula as Richter, the game will begin as Alucard, and for a short period, any monster will take one hit to kill. You'll be making your way into the castle, then Death will take away all Alucard's equipment... that MF'ER!

You then proceed to explore the castle, and the story will unfold as you do. Again, I am not going to spoil anything, but there is a fake ending:
    If you kill Richter, you get the fake ending. This fooled a lot of people to think this was the true ending of the game, until realizing that the goggles must be equipped, and that you must exorcise Richter from Shaft's control by shattering the green orb. DON'T KILL RICHTER IF YOU WANT THE REAL ENDING, AND TO PROCEED WITH THE SECOND HALF OF THE GAME.

SoTN has a varied selection of enemies, and the areas are awesome too... a library, caverns, an Arena, the Clock Tower. As for the enemies, some have perticular weaknesses and/or resistances, and you'll need to adjust on the fly. Undead, for example, will be weak against Holy, and so will devils/demons, but both are strong against dark. The Wood golem is weak against fire, and so on. SoTN has a quantity and variety of items, ranging from weapons, armors, amulets, rings, shields, food (which is used to heal), and of course there are also relics, which grant Alucard special powers, and can be activated/deactivated at will.

SoTN is an incredibly hard game to find, but if you are ever lucky enough to FIND a copy, BUY IT! It's an AWESOME game, and a COLLECTOR'S ITEM. This is a fine game I recommend to Castlevania fans, and even Metroid fans, as both games are non-linear. You are free to explore, but certain parts will require a perticular upgrade, relic, weapon. As I said, the story unfolds during your exploration of the castle.

Symphony of the Night is my #1 pick for Timeless Classics. I love this game, and would pick it up anytime.

2. Alavin

Alavin If I wanted your view, I'd read your entrails Veteran

Just like to add that this is available on Xbox Live Arcade. I vaguely remember discussing with someone on here (could have been DotW? I have a bad memory) about whether Aria of Sorrow was better than Symphony of the Night - my choice was the former. Now that I've had much more of a chance to get to grips with it on my Xbox, SotN wins hands down. And it's only like £5 on XBLA. Bargain.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.