1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Clams

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Lazy Bonzo, Aug 13, 2003.

1. Dyacea Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

That's quite an interesting site.

Don't look at me! I'm the kind of person who (used to) read dictionaries for fun! (And the ingredients on food packaging...)

2. Shell

Shell Awww, come and give me a big hug!

Media:
    How can a clam be happy? It's like saying 'Oh, that mussel looks happy' There's no way to tell if it is or not. They don't smile or anything

3. Mystra's Chosen Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Hopefully I won't get the IotW plaque for ressurecting this...

Anyway, I just thought I should add that I think the phrase came from the little slit that separates their shell in half looks like an EXTREMELY big smile.

PS: Do clams make pearls? If so, what is a pearl made of and how do they make them? If not, then what is a pearl made of and how do Oysters make them?

4. Apeman Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

Well IIRC pearls are made of sand that at a point gets into the clam/oyster. That sand transform after a period of time into a pearl.

5. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] Sand gets into an oyster and irritates it so it makes this weird stuff that surrounds the sand and hardens.

and maybe the clams are happy because they are loved and talked about on SP :love: :p :spin:

6. reepnorp

reepnorp Lim'n Lime Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Maybe they are all just happy 'cause all their enemies are getting turned into Clam Chowder.

7. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    [​IMG] I can't help but feel that the reason this thread was resurrected is that Rotku mentioned it as a Memorable Moment, and he in turn mentioned it because of my Gathering story in CS. I'm so proud. :D

Or maybe it's just my over-inflated ego working overtime. :rolleyes:

8. Rotku

Rotku I believe I can fly Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

It still makes me laugh everytime I read it :lol:

9. Master of Nuhn

Master of Nuhn Wear it like a crown Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Garfield-comic

Yes, that one is old...

10. Mystra's Chosen Gems: 22/31

@ 8people...

Only one more post until you get the Rogue!!!

BTW, how the hell does that (sand) turn into that (pearl)?!?!

Oh yes. And this was resurrected because of the Memorable Moments thread.

Splunge still has an over-inflated ego though :)

11. Rotku

Rotku I believe I can fly Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

I'm quiet sure that it is the pressure inside the clam, mixed with some kind of chemical the clam lets out. When sand and time are added to that a pearl is formed.

12. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Actually, a pearl is formed inside an oyster, not a clam. The process begins when an unwanted bit of sand gets inside. The oyster get irritated and, as a defense mechanism, starts to coat the sand with the "stuff" (I think it's called nacre, but I am probably sadly mistaken). Over time, the oyster continues to coat the sand until it gets round but, for some reason, does not stop when it's round -- presumably it's still irritating, just less so.

13. Loerand

Loerand My heart holds no fear for death

@DMC:

If your explanation is right(wll I know it is), then there must be a little piece of sand in every pearl!

Ahhh, new discovery :eek:

14. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Actually there are oysters, mussels and clams that can make pearls.

Also, there doesn't have to be sand inside the pearl, it could be any irritant, including a parasite :) Cultured pearls have a spherical object implanted so that the resulting pearl is symmetrical.

Pearls are made of nacre, which is a slick form of calcium carbonate glued together with some kind of organic gluelike material (I forget the name of it) that the mullusks secrete.

Since the stuff is slick, it reduces the irritation of whatever is causing the problem.

They also coat the inside of their shell with this stuff, and that's how you get... Mother of pearl!

15. dman18 Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

In the Orient (saying that 'cause i cant remember what country) they have manufactuaring plants that make pearls. What they did was take clams/oysters/mussels and placed a little peice of something, maybe a piece of real pearl, into these mollusks, but only 1 out of every 20 or 200 (cant remember) produced a perfect pearl, and think of how many pearls go into making a pearl necklace. Thats almost cruel.

16. Mystra's Chosen Gems: 22/31

Well, they will probably do something with the imperfect pearls. Maybe they'll be made into cheaper necklaces or something. I imagine perfect pearls (do they call them flawless?) are very expensive and you can buy relitively cheap pearl necklaces.

17. teekc Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

From what i know, Japanese and Chinese definately rear clams to harvest pearls. Yes, they do put a little something inside those clams. To wait for a harvest is very long, 20~30 years, i think.

For Chinese, pearls don't just end up in decorative necklaces. Some ugly ones could become expensive Chinese medicine. Dowager Chi Xi of Ching dynasty took lots of pearl powder and this pushed the fame of pearl as medicine. (i think) Pearl powder belongs to 'ying' therefore are good at counter 'yang' sickness. Some believed that it contributes to longevity too.

Yes, for your record, if you are interested, i did take pearl powder before, i had a fever than.

[ December 02, 2003, 21:09: Message edited by: teekc ]

18. Lazy Bonzo Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

[​IMG] Who'd have thought my idle brain's querying post could have produced two pages of clams (not literally).

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.