1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Chrono Trigger: Resurrection -Discontinued

Discussion in 'Playground' started by Wordplay, Nov 23, 2004.

1. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

[​IMG] Project home

For those who do not know, this project was born to recreate one of the best known RPG games of SNES: Chrono Trigger.

I think Square-Enix just shot its own foot in its greediness, although I'm willing to bet that "something new and fresh" will not be so new and fresh in other parts but the name. ;) What do you think: should they have allowed the project to continue or was this a right decision?

2. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I am continuously amazed at the groups of people who dedicate enormous amounts of time to re-creating their favourite games, but considering every single one of them to date has been issued a "Cease and Desist letter" by the owners of the IP, I also have to wonder whether these people are living in vacuum, thinking that they, somehow, will be exempt and allowed to continue.

3. Wordplay Gems: 29/31

Yea, but think about Half-Life. Thanks to all the mods created for it you can say that it is still, about 6 years after it's release, bought in regular basis and played daily. Perhaps the owners of the IP are living in the vacuum too, for not realizing the value community efforts can bring both to the authors and gamers. ;)

4. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Games which are being heavily modded (with official blessing) are obviously another case altogether and have nothing to do with this discussion. Modding a game and recreating it are two very different things.

5. Wordplay Gems: 29/31

Are they really? In both cases, modding and recreating, users breathe more life into a stale subject, thus making it last longer and perhaps even reviving an old brand for new use, like in this case. By not allowing them recreate it Square-Enix missed an oppoturnity and thus I say they shot their own foot. It is pretty clear that they do not have any use for it, so why deny it from everyone then? Seems pretty greedy to me, like a child pulling all his stuff against his chest, shouting "Mine, mine!"

6. Taluntain

Media:
    From the perspective of modders they aren't very different, but from the perspective of whoever holds the licence, they are very different. If they aren't using it currently it doesn't mean they wouldn't use it in the future in some capacity. Saying that they're greedy for not giving it away because they're not using it right now is somewhat like arguing that it's ok to steal someone's car that's been standing unused outside for a few years, fix it up, and then drive around with it. Unless you're given permission to do that by the car owner, it's still stealing.

7. Sparhawk the Pandion Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

What about the Anonymous Game Developers and Tierra though? They made recreations of a couple of Sierra games and never got C&Ds, despite Sierra knowing about it. Still, any mod project that involves recreating another game has a high probability of shutdown, so I can't say I'm surprised.

8. Wordplay Gems: 29/31

It's stealing, but would it be better to trash it then after a year or two more, when the public dept. clears out all the dumped trash cars? Good purpose justifies the means when it comes to intelectual property, me thinks. But I have to agree that they should had done it like they do in sport games: change the names to something almost matching, like "Chrono Trigger" to "Chrunu Pointer" and tell people what game inspired them. ;)

Guess this is what they are doing now; changing sprites and names to something almost but not like. :spin:

[ November 25, 2004, 17:18: Message edited by: Wirhe ]

9. Taluntain

Media:
    Sparhawk the Pandion, I've never heard of them, so they can't have made a big impact. And considering Sierra is dead, it's not really surprising no one bothered them.

10. Greystar Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Just curious, why dont Square-Enix hire them, anyways? That would benefit both of them.

11. Wordplay Gems: 29/31

Simple:

If I were the manager of Square-Enix, I would make that project in-house by people I know -not by a weird fan-group doing some second class products when they have time.

12. egervari Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

This sucks. I just had stumbled across it for the first time and it would have amazing if they had actually got it finished. I know they weren't even a single percent done, but they were on a good start at least. I see all kinds of hobby games that look like crap or they try and use the code/engine from some other game that it wasn't meant for it, like the Unreal game for example (that will never be turned into Chrono Trigger). The musician is also amazing too. They had a lot of stuff going for them.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.