1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Christmas List

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Mathetais, Nov 12, 2001.

1. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Well, since I see most of you will be shopping for stuff you can get from Amazon, I hope you will do it through the links on SP and brighten my Christmas up as well. :D

Just in case, the links: http://www.sorcerers.net/Games/index.php for games
    http://www.sorcerers.net/Books/index.php for books

and any other Amazon banners/buttons (those three on both of the pages above will do fine) you click on and then buy something through will earn me a 5% comission. Thanks!

Last edited: Dec 30, 2017
  2. Linael Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

[​IMG] :: The Watcher slides into the room, moping about, well, being a watcher really. Just then, some buds appear on it's smooth spherical surface and grow into limbs. The limbs extend and take on a sickly greenish hue. For moments, the thing flaps and flounders on the cold floor, whining repeatedly and then... There stands a newly minted Goblin, warily observing it's surroundings with glinting red eyes ::

The goblin then croaks his Christmas wish:
    " Me wanna go help Santa wit all da uvver Goblins "

ooc: For Myself, Immortality, I guess.

3. Sniper Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

[​IMG] Christmas present? A jolly good old fashioned wank!

4. Mathetais Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Tal - Shameless Self-Promotion .... I love it! :grin: :santa: (no smiley there?? ;) )

5. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] Athlon XP and GeForce3 graphics accelerator would be fine for me :D however, just like every year I'll be perfectly happy with the books I get (some kind of a family tradition, oh yes, and cheaper as well ;) ) the remaining surprise is just which books this may be ... :D ;)

[This message has been edited by Ragusa (edited November 13, 2001).]

6. Methylviolet Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Jesus isn't the reason for the season for me -- but I like Christmas trees. What I want for Christmas is to find everyone a gift that will delight them and make them think I'm wonderful. I agonize over this every year. Also, since I've been so good, I'd like to have enough money left over to buy *myself* what I want and won't get for Christmas!
    Hmmm... The three-volume set of Sambrook, the Sopranos second season, MTG interactive encyclopedia, maybe a dress...

7. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Veteran

I think people that don't believe in God but still celebrate Christmas are very stupid. Be consequent. Be christian and celebrate christian celebration-days. Or be not a christian and then also don't celebrate Christmas and the other christian days.

8. mark the beneficial shah Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

They were originally Pagan days.

9. DragonRider SkyWard Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

[​IMG] To bad for me that my family has a bad habbit of buying me all my stuff the year before when all the stuff is on clearence.:( All my presents are bought and hidden under the floor boards. Oops! Did I say under the floor boards? I ment in the sled. The one that santa drives...what's that? NO! Anyways I dont bother asking for anything much anymore, I just return every thing and buy other things.

10. Azardu Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

1. AthlonXP w/ mobo (why anyone would shutdown their cpu cooling system is beyond me ;))
    2. GeForce3 Ti-500
    3. Leatherman SuperTool (Lost my old one :()
    4. More RAM (Can you ever get enough of that?)
    5. All the Twisted Sister CDs on amazon I don't have.
    6. Money
    7. Custom Avatar ;)

11. Methylviolet Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

That was kind of harsh, Headbanger.

Why shouldn't anyone celebrate Christmas or any other holiday merely because they don't believe in God? Indeed, why not do as I do and celebrate *every* holiday there is? (That is, every holiday I know about.) Marking the passage of time with celebrations is a positive thing. If there were a God, I think my beautiful Christmas with my family would annoy him less than what false Christians like, say, Jerry Falwell get up to.

12. Azardu Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Well, you could always celebrate yuletide instead...

13. Mollusken Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Hey, Headbanger!

Claiming Christmas to be a celebration for Christians only is not a good thing to say. In fact, up here in the north we have been celebrating christmas for ages, a long time before we had monks and churches (when Thor and Odin ruled the north ;)). Is the tree a Christian tradition? No. Are the gifts a Christian tradition? No. Is eating good food a Christian tradition? No! At the end of December we have celebrated that the sun is turning, and things are becoming brighter up here as the days will be longer.

You can go have your Christian Christmas without Santa if you like. We others have combined the Christianity with the celebrating of brighter times.

[This message has been edited by Mollusken (edited November 15, 2001).]

14. Spudsquisher Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

[​IMG] would anyone honestly trust a person with a big beard and shiny boots, who is often heard saying "hello little girl, sit on my lap and i will give you a present" ?

15. Firestorm

Firestorm Beeep, Beeep, ERROR Veteran

What is this? Jesus is the reason for Christmas? :confused: I always thought that people were celebrating my Birthday!? And here i was getting happy because people were so nice to me. :( now you've wrecked my christmas spirit!

16. Damona Silvercloud Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

So, are we sure that Jesus was born on the 25th? Wasn't He born sometime in January, or February or something? Didn't the old-time Christians just stick a holiday around the same day that the pagans celebrate Yule, so as to draw a bigger following? The Christmas tree? Well that's just a representation of the Tree of Life. Pine boughs, the Yule log, apples, wreaths, candles, Santa, especially things like mistletoe and holly are all just representations of ancient rituals, dating back from pre-Christianity.

I honestly appreciate the tenets of Christianity, because it, like most religions, has a good basis in truth. I just wish the meddling priests would have come up with their own Holy Days, and left the ancient feast days alone. Same goes for Easter and Halloween.

You may celebrate what you've been taught Christmas stands for, but throughout December and on the 25th, I will gather my family to celebrate Yule and pay homage to the Holly King.

[This message has been edited by Damona Silvercloud (edited November 15, 2001).]

17. Capstone Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

[​IMG] Good points, all. Jesus was actually born nowhere near Christmas. Come on, shepherds on the hills in the middle of winter? (Yes it does snow in the mountains around Bethlehem). Christmas on December 25th was instituted by Catholics who combined many elements of pagan worship into Christianity to make it easier on their new converts (no offense to anyone who might be Catholic). Dec 25th was the pinnacle of a Roman celebration for the sun god, which actually lasted twelve days. Gifts and feasts were a regular part of this celebration, although the tree wasn't a part of it for many centuries (introduced by the Anglos, IIRC).

Jesus was most likely born in the spring, as were the other lambs (He being God's sacrifical Lamb). That being said, my family still celebrates Christmas in December; nobody seems willing to give extra holiday time in April. ;)

18. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    My letter to the Santa :) (Hey, read Hogfather, after that, you will do so. Just in case...)

Throne of Bhaal
    Neverwinter Nights
    Icewind Dale
    Billy Idol Greatest Hits-CD
    Suomirokkia 6- CD a Finish Rock collection
    Harry Potter-Soundtrack (Hey, it's composed by John Williams!)
    Canto FInlandia-CD Finnish rock classics in Gregorian
    Episode 1-DVD
    Star by Star by Troy Denning
    Sea of Swords by R.A.Salvatore
    New floppies (They last like, a week, in my use...)

I think that's all.... And, of course I want cash. I'm lucky I also have my birthday soon... then it'll be Sweet Sixeen for a year... (Yes, I am a BIlly Idol Addict. So what?)

Ara
    (sniffles and hopes she will get thorough the Hell of having 12 courses in one semester...)

19. Sprite Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

- A deep fat fryer
    - A cocktail blender
    - A Calphalon dutch oven
    - Wedgwood "Sarah's Garden" serving dishes
    - A pair of Abyssinian kittens
    - A ruby tiara

20. Shralp Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

No, Catholicism did not add elements of pagan religions to Christianity. The early Church deliberately put Christmas on a pagan holiday in order to co-opt it. They did not know what date the Nativity was, so -- in their fight with paganism -- they tried to steal the pagan holiday. And it worked.

But Capstone is repeating a common (and thoroughly debunked) myth that the modern Catholic Church is a corruption of "real" Christianity and paganism. The seminal work on the topic was by Lorraine Boettner, and his (sic) ideas have been refuted several times, most notably in a book called Catholicism and Fundamentalism by Karl Keating.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.