1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

"Choice"

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by chevalier, Feb 26, 2007.

1. Abomination Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

A minimum of 19% and a max of 40% suffer from this, according to the article you mentioned. I was asking what constitutes psycological tramua and you mention one example. Are you saying that PTSD is the only form of psycological tramua?

2. Rallymama Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Media:
    When one is trying to prove a point, any little fact that supports that point can (and most likely will) be stretched and bolstered until it appears unimpeachable. Sorry, SA, one study does not convince me to do any more than look for more studies. That's an example of my "unquenchable thirst for knowledge." Looks like the generational unawareness you accuse me of cuts both ways.

You say that you have
    You see this as a good thing. Someone else might see indecisiviness or the inability to commit to a course of action and actually follow it through to completion. It's a matter of perspective.

I was about to rattle off my own list of degrees and interests, but I have no need to show off. My credibility has been well established where it really matters; whether or not some faceless phantom of the internet needs to bolster his ego by putting on his own airs instead of letting his accomplishments speak for themselves is no concern of mine.

@NOG: Thanks for clearing that up for me. It always helps to have some understanding of another's background when reading posts in the Alleys. I must admit, though, that I'm curious as to how much of your reading is neutral and how much comes from a Christian point-of-view. There's nothing wrong with that, of course, I just like to have an idea of the source. It's like hearing the smae story reported on Fox, and then on NPR, and then later on the BBC. Three stations, three slants - which is the most accurate?

[ March 15, 2007, 03:09: Message edited by: Rallymama ]

3. Shadow Assassin Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Nakia, I did reference where I got them at the bottom of the quotes. They are American Psychological Association, Child Trauma Academy, and David C. Reardon, Ph.D. of the Elliot Institute. I'm currently waiting on replies back from a couple friends who are psychologists and 2 websites I sent emails to in order to get their opinions on the matter. I'll probably ask a few others as well. Remember not all studies are simply volunteers coming in, but instead researchers seeking them out. I'm sure some studies are skewed to an extent, but we can only hope that the thesis takes that into account.

As far as PTSD is concerned what I'm saying is that it's simply the disorder associated with psychological trauma regardless of it's form. As far as what is caused by it varies widely. Think of it as a very general title to describe alot of different traumas. Kind of like Mammal describes a vast amount of different animals(not the best comparison, but it kinda works).

Rallymama I look at both sides. One can only truly argue their views if they know what the opposition has available to them. I was merely using myself as an example when defending my peer. I would like to go further into this, but it would be hijacking the thread again. If you want to discuss something simply pm me, but a flame war is just pointless.

Oh, and here's some more published info for you.
    [ March 15, 2007, 04:14: Message edited by: Shadow Assassin ]

4. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    In between some unnecessary digs and personal attacks, there are interesting points being made in this thread. Let's focus more on the interesting points and less on the personal attacks.

Anyone wants to start a thread on whether the present generation is more inquisitive than any other, has more ADD/ADHD than any other (we called it hyper when I was a kid), is just smarter, or is, in fact, the same as any other generation during its youth, is welcome to do so.

I really think that some of the personal attacks are out of line here, so tone it down. Thanks.

5. Morgoroth

Morgoroth Just because I happen to have tentacles, it doesn'

http://www.afterabortion.org/

This would appear to be the source of SA's research. Now I don't know if it's just me, but I would not take research that comes from a pro-life organisation with an obvious agenda too seriously.
    :rolleyes:

EDIT: Just to note, it's not that it should be discounted alltogether but when an organisation with a political agenda releases studies supporting their cause it's only natural to be a bit skeptical. ;)

6. Shadow Assassin Gems: 13/31

That's just one of the sources, the more recent ones. There are quite a few more. Which is why I said multiple sources.
    No, it would be a source. Stark difference there. The sources range from the APA to pubmed.gov to my psychology textbook "Psychology and the challenges of life." So do me a favor and please read everything before making an assumption or conclusion on the rest of it.

7. Rallymama Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Media:
    Those studies draw only one concrete conclusion, as I read them: It's far better to prevent unwanted pregnancies up front than to have to deal with the consequences later. Well, DUH! I hope taxpayer money wasn't spent to come up with that little gem of common sense. :rolleyes:

Will most women who have had an abortion regret it later? Probably, to some extent. The real question then becomes, will that regret reach such epic proportions as to have a debilitating effect on her life? I don't think so, and nothing cited above has given me any reason to alter that opinion.

Face it, any decision we make has some impact on how life proceeds, no matter how tiny. Every path we choose means that countless paths were not chosen. Many of those paths will closely parallel the one we're on, but there's no way to tell. You deal, and keep moving forward.

8. NOG (No Other Gods)

NOG (No Other Gods) Going to church doesn't make you a Christian

Media:
    @Rally:
    The answer is wide and various. Obviously, the theological interests were developed by religious texts, mostly Christian, but not all. The majority of the scientific interests have been supported by text books, internet research, talks with people knowledgable in the areas, educational programs on TV, schooling, and magazines like Popular Science, Science, Scientific America, and even some National Geographic.

In other words, if the question is 'Where did you learn all this?' my answer is 'Yes.'

As for SA's posts, most of the stuff I saw there doesn't actually talk about the likelyhood of a young girl having a traumatic reaction to abortion. Most simply say that, if she does have one, it will probably be worse than if she were 35 when she had it. The only really relevant part I saw in the last grouping was that the biggest risk factor for a traumatic experience was a feeling of being forced. Gee, how forced do you think this poor girl feels?

9. Shadow Assassin Gems: 13/31

NOG, thank you for pointing that most obvious fact out. if you read the articles I posted the main point I was trying to get across is the impact on a woman due to forced abortion. NOT abortion itself. I know atleast one of my articles stated that forced abortion was viewed by the women as the ultimate abuse(not in those exact words).

OH, and by the way, I was right.

Links to the stories on her suicide threat and admittance into a psychiatric hospital:
    http://www.christianpost.com/article/20070225/26007_13-Year-Old_Threatens_Suicide_After_Parents_Force_Abortion.htm
    http://www.catholicnewsagency.com/new.php?n=8693
    http://www.wnd.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=54486
    http://www.lifeissues.net/news.php?newsID=00017803&topic=

10. NOG (No Other Gods)

NOG (No Other Gods) Going to church doesn't make you a Christian

Media:
    This is depressingly true. The American mainstream media didn't issue word one on this, what many would consider a major event in a very controversial issue nation-wide.

What's worse is, reading those articles, it seems adoption was never even considered as an option. It is like the idea never even entered their heads. When did the 'life at all costs' mentality get replaced by the 'if I can't have it, no one can' mentality?

I must say, though, her reaction is evidence of a better response than I would have guessed. It means she hasn't emotionally shut down, but is rather processing the event. The fact that that processing leads to a suicidal conclusion is unfortunate, but I hope and pray she can get through this.

Unfortunately, the damage done to her relationship with her parents, and possibly her sense of the government, may well be irreparable. Only time will tell.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.