1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Child-Rapist Priest John Geoghan killed in prison

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Blackhawk, Aug 26, 2003.

1. Blackhawk Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

I don't know if everyone heard that good news, but John Geoghan - a convicted child-rapist Catholic priest - was "put down" in prison.

If you are unfamiliar with John Geoghan, he was a priest at the Boston Archdiocese where he assaulted at least 147 children.

He was sentenced to prison for at least one of these crimes.

On August 25, 2003 another prisoner was able to kill him. He was stranged to death. Unfortunately, he was not gang raped before he died.

My questions for this topic is this:
    • Did this pedophile get a light punishment for his crimes?
    • Did the prisoner that killed him merely do what the state should have done in the first place?

[ August 26, 2003, 19:53: Message edited by: Blackhawk ]

2. Morgoroth

Morgoroth Just because I happen to have tentacles, it doesn'

I think this is very very wrong. Yes his crimes were horrible and yes he may have deserved this fate, but I just don't think it should work like this. You throw him in the prison and then let the prisoners beat him to death? Is that justice?

When one is thrown in the prison and the it is suspected that something like this would happen the state should be obliged to protect the criminal no matter what they did no matter who they were. I think it's sad to see people who think this is right, because it's not. Criminals should suffer the punishment they get in court and none other.

In Finland there was a similar case a couple of years ago I do not remember the conviction the man got but he was thrown in prison anyway, but as the state suspected that something like this might happen in prison he was put under protective custody and there he was allowed to suffer his punishment without getting beaten or killed. This is how it should be done IMHO...

3. Eze Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Rapists should be castrated or shot. That's all I say.

4. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    My first reaction was amusement that a convicted murderer felt morally outraged enough to kill him.

My second reaction was this is a good arguement for capital punishment of murderers: Just because you put them behind bars doesn't mean everyone is safe from them.

Do I care that he was killed? Not really, but that wasn't his sentence. He should have done his nine years and if no other trials put him away for longer, then been unable to live anywhere because nobody would sell or rent him a place.

5. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    Yes, justice is revenge of the mass, and because bubba had probably more mass he would be justified :D

Some people are a danger to society, killing cost less and releases us from him, and him from us.

I do not say that he was a monster, more that he was invalid.

6. Tiamat Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

A quick death is far more than scum like him deserves. He should've done his 9 years as someone's priestly b*tch. I think the State shouldn't've killed him, but 9 years was far too light a punishment, as was what the man actually got. Rape is an unforgivable crime, especially the mass-rape of children. It needs a worse penalty than death.

7. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I for one think it's a shame he was killed in prison. Sad, really.

I'm a firm believer that the punishment should fit the crime. Our current justice system is far too light. If people don't fear punishment, they're more likely to commit crimes. It's a fact of human nature. The solution? Punishment fits the crime.

You kill someone? You die.

You rob a bank for $10,000 because you don't want to work? You're now forced to work as a janitor in the very bank you robbed until the amount you stole - plus interest - is paid off.

You spend the last 30 years raping and abusing children who trusted you and saw you as a father figure? You spend the next 30 years getting cornholed and beaten by your new cellmate Ramone, the 300lb bull queer who makes you call him "Daddy." "You'd be a hoe lot prettier wif no teef, b*tch!" THAT'S justice.

It really is a shame.

8. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Adored Veteran

Media:
    Being from MA this is a really big deal here.

Now the arguing over whose fault this is has started. Some inmates are saying that this has been planned for months and that the guards were told. The guards union is saying that is complete crap and that it is the commonwealth's fault for not hiring enough guards.

A lawyer who is representing some "victims" who are suing the diocese is all upset for now he can't call Geoghan has a witness.

What a circus.

9. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Personally, I believe everyone convicted of rape should be made infertile in an irrevocable way. What if he proves innocent later, you might ask? Then he shouldn't have been sentenced in the first place.

In some cases society needs to administer death penalty, and yes, it looks like a majority-voted murder in many cases. Even more so looks putting criminals in a forgotten hole where other monsters dwell and administer justice to one another. Yes, it makes me feel good when I hear about child rapists getting mounted in prisons, but I know that it's not right. I won't say if they deserve that or not, they have never been sentenced to such a punishment, period. Even if they actually were, that would still be unjust. Sex in any shape can't serve as punishment, period. Heh, this still can't make me pity them. I only believe it's unjust and should be prevented, just because we're not such animals as they are. Oh well, even animals don't do such things.

Another thing is that the guy should have been rotting in that prison for ages already, not for nine months.

The greatest scandal is: who the hell let him continue serving as a priest knowing what was going on?! They let him consecrate the Eucharist knowing in what unholy state he was.

Good thing is they at least finally sacked him. One can't annul his Holy Orders (they can divest him, take the office from him etc, but can't remove the state of being of a priest), but he was an ex-priest from there on. Mr Geoghan, not Fr Geoghan.

[ August 26, 2003, 23:09: Message edited by: chevalier ]

10. JSBB Gems: 31/31

Personally I agree with the sentiment that his sentence was not sufficient given his crimes, and in fact at some emotional level I can't help but approve of the actions taken by his fellow inmate(s) but I really can't condone such vigilante justice.

If there is to be law and order then it must apply to everyone and can not just be ignored when we feel it is convenient. If his punishment was not sufficient then that indicates that legal reform should be sought and not that people have the right to take matters into their own hands.

Around here there are many people who feel that, despite such a penalty not being allowed under Canadian law, convicted murderer Paul Bernardo should have been executed. There are nearly as many people who feel that the protection that Bernardo is receiving in prison should be relaxed to allow one of the other inmates to perform an unsanctioned execution, but I just don't think we can call ourselves a just or civilized society if we allow our laws to be bent in such a manner.

11. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    I agree with Death Rabbit.

The severity of the crime should fit the severity of the punishment.

Murderers should be met with equal force. Capital punishment is something that I am strongly for. Ithink any guys on this forum that are from Britian like me will agree that the law system here is a joke. A very poor one.

The country is overflowing with asylum seekers. Within 10 years the British Citizen by Blood / Non-British Asylum Seeker ratio will be MORE non-British people that actually British people. This is a major concern for me and something should be done about it. Perhaps abit Right Wing, but there we go :p

The British economy is struggling because we spend FAR too much of the countries (rather limited) resources on making Jails 'safe' and providing for the wrongfully incarcerated. I say 'wrongly' incarcerated because, murderers, rapists and paedophiles fill our prisons and are looked after very well. One particular prisoner, a murderer by the name of Ian Brady declared he NEVER wants to leave prison. This is wrong.

I worry for my country :'(

Maybe abit off topic, but hey! I fancied a rant! lol

12. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31

Adored Veteran

Media:
    @Morsmordre

Here in the states we also are having large immigration problems. One of our biggest problems is that new immigrants have no interest in assimilating and becoming Americans. They just want to live here with their own people and transplant there culture to the states.

How we handle this problem is going to get more and more sensitive and tricky. Are the European countries faced with the same issues?

13. Blackhawk Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

[​IMG] We are a nation of immigrants.

Naturally when people come to the United States, they will speak the language of their parent state and follow the same traditions. The move to being "American" sometimes takes decades.

In the process America changes too. Our tolerance and liberty is what makes us strong.

But I know what you are referring to. There are immigrants to the United States that create small communities that hate the United States. Its ironic and a tad odd.

Mostly the these immigrants are from Middle Eastern states which typically are run on hate, oppression and intolerance. In time they will let go of their hatred. Their children will certainly be more humane than their parents.

Now back on topic....

I don't know where Geoghan is from. I really don't care either. No culture on this planet is so depraved as to find his behavior acceptable. ... with the exception of the Church itself :evil:

14. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    I'm on the same lines as Tiamat and Eze here.

15. Khazraj Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Blackhawk says.

"But I know what you are referring to. There are immigrants to the United States that create small communities that hate the United States. Its ironic and a tad odd.

Mostly the these immigrants are from Middle Eastern states which typically are run on hate, oppression and intolerance. In time they will let go of their hatred. Their children will certainly be more humane than their parents."

You know that it takes two to tango? There are a lot of people in the world who hate because they can. Even in the US. Why? It seems that the US is run on hate if recent events have any weight.

16. Mithrantir Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Then this man should have been raped everyday for nine years and if he was sentenced to more he should have been raped everyday for the duration of his sentence. That would give him a good insight to what the children he abused felt, and propably since he was a priest (given he was imbued with the philosophy of a priest he would never try something like raping achild again
    Now that he is dead i think he got away too easy. :mad:

17. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    Wait wait, why are you all trying to get revenge?

He that dies pays all debts
    -- Shakespeare's Stephano (The Tempest)

[ August 27, 2003, 12:12: Message edited by: Morgoth ]

18. Morgoroth

[​IMG] Why do everyone seem to want prisons to be mini-hells? From my point of view I see prisons as correctional facilities where criminals should either be prepared for their new life outside or be locked away preventing them from doing harm. Even the most vile criminals are still human beings and should be treated as such. Violence only creates more violence.

19. Mithrantir Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

I agree with you but reality is different and we proceed with these facts :(

20. Morgoroth

True, the reality might be different indeed. But we should strive towards changing it rather than encouraging it.

[ August 27, 2003, 15:32: Message edited by: Morgoroth ]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.