1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Child of Bhaal: A BG2 story

Discussion in 'Creativity Surge' started by Shura, May 27, 2002.

1. Shura Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Here's my attempt at fanfic, folks. Do tell me what you think.

“ Ah, so the child of Bhaal has awoken…” a menacing voice roused the big man from his stupor. Opening his eyes, he saw that he was in an iron cage. An elven mage sneered down at him from beyond the bars of the cage.

“ It is time for more…experiments…” The mage mused. Raising his hands, he began to chant. Searing agony ran through the man’s body, sending him into terrible convulsions. He screamed his defiance as he threw himself against the bars again and again, seeking to wrap his huge hands around the mage’s neck.

“ The pain is only temporary…” the cold words sent shivers of terror down his spine. With a final anguished gasp, the child of Bhaal crumpled to the floor of his cage, seeking sanctuary in unconsciousness.

The sound of the cage door swinging open roused him again. Insistent hands tugged at his arm in a vain attempt to get him to his feet. With a roar of rage, he swept the hands away at lunged forward. His hands closed around a slender neck and he heard a gasp of barely suppressed terror.

“ Sol! It’s me, Imoen! Calm down!” His childhood friend said hurriedly. Blinking his eyes, Sol saw that it was indeed his insipidly cheerful companion. He relaxed his grip.

“ Sorry…I…” His apology was waved aside as Imoen pulled him out of the cage. He had almost succumbed to the dark rage that he was so susceptible to.

“ We have got to get out of here, Sol!” She was stating the obvious. Freed from his cage, Sol felt his confidence and strength returning, along with his disdain of his softhearted friend. If their positions were exchanged, he would have left her without a second thought. He found his spells sitting at the back of his mind, seemingly eager to be called upon to wreak their trademark havoc and destruction and he grinned.

“ Are you listening to me at all?” Imoen demanded. Sol snarled at her, more than a little irritated by her constant pestering.

“ Do you know where our equipment is being kept?” He asked. She shook her head.

“ All of our stuff has likely been pawned. But there is a storeroom to the north where we might get some gear.” She informed him. Sol nodded in acknowledgement and started off to the north before a cry of rage halted him. Turning his head, he spotted the eccentric ranger Minsc struggling futilely against the bars of the cage that held him. The two companions walked over.

“ Arghh! Minsc will be free! These bonds will not hold my wrath! Butts will be liberally kicked in good measure!” He raged. Sol stroked his chin, evaluating the situation. The dull ranger would be a worthy companion in their bid to escape from the elven mage that had imprisoned them so easily.

“ Where’s Dynaheir, Minsc?” The invoker’s mighty spells would readily come in handy. The ranger wailed wordlessly at the mention of his witch. He pounded on the bars again and again with his hands, knees and even his head. Imoen squeaked at his ferocity.

“ Dynaheir…! I will cave in their skulls for what they have done! They killed her, you see…? Killed her as I watched!” Minsc moaned.

“ Minsc! That is horrible! I am so sorry for you!” Imoen said, tears coming to her eyes. Sol cursed under his breath. The invoker was the one thing that kept the insane ranger under control and coherence. Without her, Sol was more than a bit reluctant to take the ranger along.

“ I won’t cry for the dead! I won’t! Ok, maybe a little, but I will staunch the flow of tears with righteous fury! Lullaby and goodnight, evil! Minsc will make you pay…!” Sol had enough of his raving. Waving his hand, he dismissed the sight of the trapped ranger from his attention.

“ Let’s go, he said to Imoen. The girl protested but Sol would not be budged. She had always followed his lead and this time would be no exception.

“ You…have brushed me aside with your words! You won’t help…Boo can see it now! You do not intend to cut my chains!” Minsc roared in fury. “ You only intend to yank them! I will make sure you do not live long enough to abandon more friends! I will…I will…I will do all of this as soon as I get these bars open! RRAAAARRGH!!! The bars! They bend and twist with my berserker strength! Minsc and Boo are free! Now you will…now….” Sol watched in amazement as the ranger worked himself into a berserker rage, tearing the bars aside with his great strength. A dozen excuses came into his mind. He had no wish to battle the ranger now. Minsc calmed down inexplicably though.

“Ooooh, you are a smart one. I understand now! You said what you did just to get me mad! Mad enough to break free! You are as smart as Boo sometimes! Now we can resume our adventures together! There are friends to avenge and evil to smack about the face and neck, right Boo?” The hamster squeaked, as it appeared from a pocket in the ranger’s tattered tunic.

“ Yes…yes…glad to have you on board, Minsc…” Sol offered weakly.

“We shall have fistfuls of sweet, sweet justice, and our enemies will be stains beneath our feet! What…yes but…but…alright. Boo tells me that I am raving again. I did not notice a difference, but I shall heed his words nonetheless. Come, we must go now. Yes, Minsc and Boo and you, together again. Beware villains! I will force justice down your evil, evil throats!” The ranger proclaimed. The child of Bhaal slapped his hand over his eyes, suppressing a growl of mounting frustration. He belatedly recalled the ranger’s strange companion, a hamster called Boo.

“ By the devils, let us be off!” Sol cried out, flustered and more than a bit resigned. He noticed an elven woman regaining consciousness in a cell next to Minsc and a wry smile came over his face. He strode over to her cage and sneered down at her.

“ Well, Harper, it seems like you are in a compromising situation.” He said. She moaned weakly. Sol called upon his magic, summoning a cantrip to mind. With his magic, he lifted the elf to her feet and threw her against the walls of her cage. She groaned in pain, but she was a lot closer to conscious thought now.

“ You…!” Jaheira muttered, her eyelids flickering in recognition. Sol laughed cruelly at her cowering form.

“ Where’s your precious husband, Harper?” The child of Bhaal asked scathingly. The two Harpers had attacked him and Imoen, in a bid to ‘maintain balance’ before all of them got captured.

“ I do not know…” Jaheira replied. “ They must have captured him as well! He was taken from me!” Sol chuckled. He enjoyed the sight of the haughty Harper so distraught.

“ Beg me to free you, Harper. Then maybe we can go find your precious husband together. A flash of anger gleamed in her eyes.

“ Never!” She cried. A dull click ended the conversation as Imoen unlocked the door to her cell. The Harper bounded out, a smug look on her face. Sol rounded on the girl angrily but she shrugged innocently. Once again, the child of Bhaal sighed in frustration.

“ A truce would be beneficial to both of us, Sol.” Jaheira offered. Sol was about to rebuff her but logic was on the Harper’s side. He nodded grudgingly.

“ But you shall keep in mind that I am the leader this time. Now move, slave!” Sol commanded. Jaheira glared at him angrily but she complied. The four companions came to the storeroom that Imoen led them to. Minsc and Jaheira hefted their weapons and shrugged on the cheap armor eagerly while Imoen armed herself with a mildly enchanted dagger she found in a secret compartment hidden behind a painting. Sol let Minsc have the only two-handed sword that they found. He was confident of acquiring weapons more suited to his fighting style soon enough. As for armor, the child of Bhaal disdained it. His sword skills were derived from the lands of Kara-tur, which emphasized precision and swiftness instead of defense. A true warrior would not be hit if he struck down his opponent first. Combined with his skill in magic, armor would be more of a detriment than an advantage.

Imoen, Minsc and Jaheira were discussing their escape plans loudly while Sol stood in silent contemplation. A wooden door to the north burst open, startling them. A mephit rushed in, all snarling teeth and fangs. Minsc and Jaheira hefted their weapons but they halted as Sol raised a finger and began an ominous chant. The mephit hesitated, uncertain as it sensed magical energy gathering into the focal point that Sol’s outstretched finger was.

“ DIE!” Sol snarled, his face contorted in rage. A mighty lighting bolt streaked from his fingertip and tore through the mephit’s flesh. It shrieked in agony and spiraled in the air. The bolt of energy bounced off the wall and returned in the direction it came from, incinerating the mephit utterly with a second hit. Imoen, Minsc and Jaheira gasped as the lighting bolt streaked towards Sol but it dissipated an inch from his body. He had estimated the length the lighting bolt would travel perfectly. His companions gasped in relief but he was in no mood to humor them.

“ Let us be off!” Sol said. He strode from the chamber, his expression as dark as the grin etched upon his face. His companions followed him, their footsteps wavering. The child of Bhaal paid them little attention. His captor was in for a nasty surprise.

2. zaknafein Guest

its amazing, someone has turned this overused storyline into something great. Its amazing consisering that I am sick to death of hearing this again and again but I think I might like this one.:)

3. Uytuun Gems: 25/31

Media:
    very nice, please keep on posting

4. Rolsuk Fryulee Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

[​IMG] Good stuff! But Jaheira is a half elf, not an elf.

5. ArchAngel Guest

[​IMG] very interesting. But don't you ever get curious about writing stories of someone else than superior sinister godlike dark sidish persons with a bad ass attitude? I would have thought it was exciting for a writer to explore new sides of his or her creative abilities. Especially one as good as you. Like Xaelifer for instance. It is for me anyway.

[This message has been edited by ArchAngel (edited May 31, 2002).]

6. C'Jakob Guest

This is among the best, if not the best, BG2 fanfiction I've read. Still, the same old plot is boring, given that anyone who's playing SoA knows whatever will go on. Like ArchAngel said, it's exciting to explore new sides of your creativity, add a little "twist" to the PC, or even the game.

7. zaknafein Guest

Yeah, I read this pretty good one where the author seemed to say "screw the story and the rules" and made the storyline waycool. Such as getting the Bhaal spawn a house, siege weapons and a bunch of other stuff that made it much more interesting

8. Shura Gems: 25/31

Your point is noted, Archangel. But Sol is what I would envision a child of Bhaal to be: Sinister, intelligent and powerful. Sarevok has to be the best example of a Bhaal Spawn and I have always envisioned the struggle among the half gods to be a clash among the most evil individuals of all.
    A kind hearted, goody two shoes couldn't probably be a Bhaal spawn that would rise to power, can he/she?

9. ArchAngel Guest

I easily follow your Point Shura. And in no way was I trying to show any discontempt to your skill. I loved the Shura story and I have it on print(paper).

Your writing is very interesting so I was just hoping to see you unfold your skills with other types of main characters. :)

This story is likely going to be interesting too, but I would hate to know that people think of it as a "from Light to darkness" wannebee. I am sure you have already thought of twisting the BG plot and I am anxious to follow this story. I hope you are too :)

[This message has been edited by ArchAngel (edited June 04, 2002).]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.