1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Cheney shoots fellow hunter...

Discussion in 'Alley of Lingering Sighs' started by Bion, Feb 13, 2006.

1. Bion Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Though apparently grief didn't stop him from notifying Karl Rove right away. :shake:

2. Drew

Drew Arrogant, contemptible, and obnoxious Adored Veteran

Media:
    He called Karl Rove because Mr. Rove is such a caring nurturer. How dare you imply otherwise! :)

3. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    Drew, how dare you imply Mr. Rove and Mr. Cheney are engaged in a homosexual relationship! If I were either of them, I'd sue you for slander!

4. Drew

Drew Arrogant, contemptible, and obnoxious Adored Veteran

Media:
    AMaster, how dare you take my words out of context just so you could make a joke. This is a serious issue and no one should be poking fun at it. Inexcusable. I would never do something like that. :rolleyes:

5. NonSequitur Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Except that said statement took a while in coming. Remember, T2, that Cheney has a long history of ducking blame. I don't think he's exceptional or alone amongst politicians in that respect, just prominent amongst them.

Had he said it almost immediately after the story broke, I would have been surprised, but I probably would have said something along the lines of "good to see a politician copping it for making a mistake". This is not something he should lose his job over - even the staunchest opponent of Cheney couldn't seriously suggest he intended to shoot the guy.

True, but I'd imagine that goes hand-in-hand with the basic maxim that you identify the target before shooting... at least, when you're not about to be shot yourself.

Of course they make perfect sense. That has nothing to do with being accountable for your actions, though.

6. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    I think that much is obvious. Cheney was definitely irresponsible in his actions - perhaps even negligent and stupid. But there is a huge difference between negligently shooting someone and deliberately shooting someone. Here's another question though. What would have happened if Whittington (sp?) had died? At that point, wouldn't it be necessary to bring some charges against Cheney? It would seem like at least negligent death could be charged.

7. CĂșchulainn Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

This didn't take long

8. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
  9. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    A word from the "liberal" media:

Sounds about right to me...

http://dailynightly.msnbc.com/2006/02/the_week_that_w.html

10. NOG (No Other Gods)

NOG (No Other Gods) Going to church doesn't make you a Christian

Media:
    If the news actually covered important things in an honest perspective and didn't try to skew every story (at least so it sounds more exciting), then I may agree with them. But then I'm reminded of a spring about six years ago when the NATIONAL news covered every single shark attack on the east coast, talking about a 'shark attack frenzy' and construing that this was a catestrophically large number of attacks. A year that actually had FEWER shark attacks on the east coast than any other year within 5 years of it either way!
    Or how about the next year when local news did the EXACT SAME THING with school bus crashes?
    Lets face it, people, the news, liberal or not, is a bunch of soulless ratings-zombies that will do anything, say anything, and show anything to get more people to watch them, just as long as they can't be held legally responsable.

11. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    ...which still puts them a step above politicians ;)

12. NOG (No Other Gods)

NOG (No Other Gods) Going to church doesn't make you a Christian

Media:
    Most of the time, but not always. Politicians are more likely to promise something they never intend to/know they can't achieve then to lie about what is currently going on. Of course, there are exceptions.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.