1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Charles Darwin is too controversial for the U.S.

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Saber, Sep 20, 2009.

1. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    That's what we're saying.... :)

2. Drew

Drew Arrogant, contemptible, and obnoxious Adored Veteran

Media:
    What you're saying, sure. It isn't what everyone has been saying.

In the end, the problem here lies with the fact that the faithful tend not to rail against those who see no reason to believe in God (and, as a result, do not), but against those fervent atheists who's certainty mirrors or exceeds their own. Most of the atheists posting here do not carry such certainty, have little desire to push their view onto other people, and back in the day, would have been considered agnostic rather than atheistic. I don't know when or why the definition of atheism broadened to include people like us, but I blame Richard Dawkins. :)

3. Sir Rechet

Sir Rechet I speak maths and logic, not stupid Veteran

While Darwin's theory might not be perfect, it doesn't really even have to be. It still gives a pretty good explanation for the stuff that can actually be observed, such as experiments with banana flies. Denying the theory is fine and dandy, but doesn't really matter as long as the person denying it doesn't provide a BETTER alternative to it.

As a parallel: Gravitational theory holds pretty well whether or not you know the gravitational constant down to the umpteenth billionth decimal. Apply some relativity theory for minor corrections when extreme velocities and/or distances are involved, and it covers pretty much everything you'd realistically apply it to. (Big Bang and stuff like that tends to break more than a few rather basic assumptions about how things work anyhow, so it's buyer beware if trying to apply it there.)

4. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    Ours is a militant faith.

Yes, it is a faith. NOG, when Drew claims otherwise, he's lying. Because he likes deceiving you. He's mean like that. Our faith? Even has a theme song. Behold:

Frankly, I'm unsure why you didn't already know all of this. It's not hard to research.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2015
  5. NOG (No Other Gods)

NOG (No Other Gods) Going to church doesn't make you a Christian

Media:
    Wow, not only are the lyrics bad, so is the music. Why am I not surprised? :p

6. Iku-Turso Gems: 26/31

Media:
    That's what I kept wondering during the period of my life when I earnestly listened to gospel-music.

LKD likes this.
  7. pplr Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

Media:
    Taste in music be drawn by either the style of the music (beat and so on), the lyrics, or both in the very least.

I don't listen to most symphony or opera, but I don't hold it against the people who do. Music is about taste in some regards.

On the other hand lyrics can be more about a message, and then you ask yourself do you agree or at least find it a reasonable POV.

My older brother (years ago when we were both living under the same roof) had a (punk?) rock album that included a song that I thought had a great beat & background music but had lyrics that struck me as narrow-minded anti-immigrant bias.

About the lyrics for that song (didn't make them all out), does it serve to point out the abuses done by some religious groups/people (fleecing the flock)? Or attempt to use these to portray all religious people as doing this?

Are all Democrats and Republicans as corrupt or open to corruption as William Jefferson (I believe that was the name of the Louisiana congressman with money in his freezer) or George W. Bush?

Are all white people members of or sympathizers for the KKK (you can probably insert many ethnic groups with their own extremist bigots here)?

Last edited: Oct 6, 2009
  8. AMaster Gems: 26/31

Media:
    Because you're a dirty theist who probably enjoys clubbing baby seals. Wait, I just remembered one of our secondary theme songs, which touches on a subject that was discussed on this very page

Of course, the song we use to woo potential converts is this:

Now, who can possibly resist such an appeal? Only the inhuman, that's who.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2015
  9. NOG (No Other Gods)

NOG (No Other Gods) Going to church doesn't make you a Christian

Media:
    Tell me, was it southern gospel? Because that would explain it. ;)

Does it worry anyone else that that actually sounds really fun right now? Darn you, AMaster, you've twisted my mind!! :mad: Either that or it was the Gladiator episode of Deadliest Warrior...

10. Iku-Turso Gems: 26/31

Media:
    @NOG: Well, it wasn't. It was something the kids these days like to listen. Somehow, the lyrics were always a little...embarrassing...

11. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

This reminds me of the South Park episode where Cartman took a love song and turned it into a Gospel song.

Judge: It sounds like you . . . really well, love Jesus.

That episode was blasphemous as hell. I'm probably damned for watching it. But it really, really cracked me up.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.