1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Character Creation + more

Discussion in 'Planescape: Torment (Classic)' started by Rawgrim, Jul 29, 2012.

1. Rawgrim Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

So I just finished Baldur`s Gate 1 for the first time in loads of years. Needing something new, I go through my old games. I find Planescape Torment. A game I have started before, but never gotten far into (I know. Shame on me). So finally, I have decided to finish this game. Now...from what I hear this is not the same as the other infinity games. Its more dialogue based (if I remember correctly). I remember Wisdom being the most important stat, but thats it.

So what I am asking is advice on character creation, and basically what NOT to do. Party members to look for. Maybe a quest or two to do early. Things like that. Just to get me started on the right track. Any help would be most welcome.

2. Darion

Darion Resident Dissident Veteran BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Well, shouldn't have mentioned you never finished it! Now everyone will hate you! ;)

Anyway!
    I suggest you invest in the following attributes the most. Wisdom, Intelligence, Charisma.

This will guarantee that you will have lots of cool dialog options and hidden goodies. Remember, taht PS:T is text-heavy and most things happen in dialog.
    Game is not as combat heavy as BG or even IWD.

As for the party: I always liked to Have Fall from Grace; Morte; Annah, Dak'kon, Mordon.

Everything else is up to you.

3. hannibal555 Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Media:
    You get one stat point per level up and on top of that some bonus points throughout the game, so don't push one single stat too high in the beginning.
    Wisdom is important but 15 to 17 should suffice in the beginning.
    Intelligence opens some new dialogue options as well, 15 should be a good value.
    The rest is up to preference.
    Sure, Charisma opens some more options, too, but compared to Wis and Int only by a small degree.
    Dex is nice for better armor (especially since there's no armor for TNO in this game), better thieving skills and some added option when interacting in some rare circumstances. If I recall correctly, 13 should suffice for the interaction parts.
    Con gets you more HP plus a boost to regeneration.
    Last but not least Str is nice to have, especially for people like me who aren't this good playing as a mage (if you pump Str don't put points over 18, let it get directly to 19 via story stat gains. Otherwise you'd have to invest points inbetween 18 and 19).
    You see, it gets quite stressful to decide on the best build in the beginning ;), but seriously, almost every build will do, just enjoy the game and don't neglect Wis and Int.

4. Rawgrim Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Yeah, thats why i was kind of hessitant. Usually when playing rpgs, I toss points into the important stats for the class. However, this game is way different. More like a point and click adventure game, in some ways. I got the impression that fighting etc isn`t that important at all.

5. Darion

Darion Resident Dissident Veteran BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Well considering that Death's not much of an issue, I'd say you're right!

6. hannibal555 Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Media:
    Although in some rare places, it can get quite annoying, without sufficient melee ability.
    Like the modron maze, e.g.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.