1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Chainmail bikini and full plate thong

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by chevalier, Jan 25, 2005.

1. Hacken Slash

Hacken Slash OK... can you see me now?

2. toughluck Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

@Wirhe
    Ummm... I meant that I would design armour that would cover all the body, without exposing too much. Hmmm... Although proper reinforcing, sculpting, etc. of several areas would be very well in order... ;)

3. Shrikant

Shrikant Swords! Not words! Veteran

Anyone willing to volunteer chaining Chev to a bar stool and making him watch the latest hollywood offal called King Arthur?
    Chick medevial fighting in a g-string. :rolleyes:

4. toughluck Gems: 8/31

You know, just those three words:
    chick, fighting, medieval
    Using additional functional words derivations and inflections, you can make one statement which makes sense, and would be true, and many which would not:
    1. fighting for chicks in medieval - this one would be true, if we assume 'for' to be of broader meaning, to cover 'in honour of someone' as well.
    Now those false ones:
    2. chicks fighting in medieval
    3. medieval fighting chicks
    4. chicks fighting medieval
    5. chick medieval fighting (sounds just like bimbo mud wrestling ;)
    etc... I obviously have too much time on my hands... :roll:

5. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    I'm somehow not attracted to mediaeval-fighting young hens. :p

6. Shrikant

Shrikant Swords! Not words! Veteran

:lol:
    my thought s on that particular subject exactly.

7. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

it probably wouldn't chafe that much if you added furry/feathered stuff to the armor. kinda like furry handcuffs, everyone loves those :D

8. Foradasthar Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Style over purpose. Or purpose over style, so that purpose will become style. This is a rather extreme case though. Still, I lean towards purpose over style. Always when I design battlesuits etc I try to keep them realistic. Certainly there has to be a certain coolness factor involved but those are easy to implement. Such as the famous Appleseed's bot "ears" that just looked so cool, but the explanation for those was that in reality they' were antennaes, not ears.

In any case, I do find those bikini outfits disturbing. I've no problem with others who like them, but I'd rather see a functional suit of armor that still brought out the feminine beauty of the woman inside, than a half-naked woman that takes every bit of immersion out of the story / game / whatever. This may be at least partially because generally I find women with exotic clothing on far more attractive than simply nude women. And exotic definitely does not equal "as little as possible".

So really, the more "real" the image looks (even if it's fantasy, the same basic princibles still apply), the more convincing it is. Basically a chain mail bikini wearing woman with super-sized breasts and a needle thick waistline to me is like comparing a plastic model doll with a real sensual woman. Of course, by real woman I don't mean the regular sort. I believe in beautiful heroines to be sure, just not unrealistically so. It's kinda like reading a comic book with a computer nerd in it who only sits inside coding every day, yet he has the muscles of 3 old Arnold Schwarzeneggers combined.

Oh and I like the topic btw. Not something too rarely discussed, but in here it's probably not going to be ruined by fanatic feminist flames and get responded to by even worse flames by ignorant teenagers. ;)

9. Yirimyah Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Yeah, but guys, when was the last time we saw an ugly male PC? Note "PC" as opposed to character in general. These things are FANTASY. It's not real. Check Duke Nukem and the DOOM3 Marine. Biceps the size of real guys thighs. Hardly any avatars are ugly. The worst one is Gordon Freeman, and the concept artists for HL2 did a job on him anyway. Have a look at "Catwoman". Is the main character a woman covered in fur with claws, a tail, and six breasts? No, it's an actor-model in tight black leather with a whip. Because that's what people want to see. Movies and games are escapisim. It's that simple. Realisim is boring. Who wants to play "The Adventures of Charname Fighting To Win The Love Of The Girl Next Door"? Nobody. Except Sims players, of course.

People just want stuff that is different from normal life, and, well, games designers are mostly guys. If they were mostly girls we'd see more male armour designs like Henry the Eighth's armour. Here. http://www.chucklohr.com/ireland/photos.htm Yes, he looks like he was fighting against some of the above noted scantily-dressed female warriors.

Now that would be one WEIRD game.... Anyway. I'm probably :yot: here, so I'll shut up now.

EDIT: I meant to post http://www.chucklohr.com/ireland/images/Img_2708.jpg which is the actual image.

[ January 27, 2005, 23:58: Message edited by: Yirimyah ]

10. nior Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

The Nameless One, Planescape:Torment.
    Larry Laffers (sp?).

Of course, I'm just kidding with you. :D Hope you didn't take any offense with it. Peace.

11. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

Actually, it's because Selina Kyle was really drawn as a hot chick in the comics :p

12. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

You missed my point. *Wink* *Nudge* *Cough* *Cough* ;)

13. toughluck Gems: 8/31

Ummm... Er... So you... actually meant... something else... ironic, is it? Ummm... I still don't get it...

14. Cúchulainn Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

In reallife the ancient celts wore very little clothing. The males sometimes wore more armour/clothing but it was more about evoking fear into their enemy. It was not a sexist society as women were respected warriors. Some leather, hide and body paint was all that was needed.

15. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Wow, I saw Henry's armour, it was more revealing than any steel thong. What was his purpose? Scaring his enemies by showing off a huge package?

16. Ironbeard Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Actually it's a counter measure to the chainmail bikini, allowing enough space to avoid injury.

Perhaps the chainmail bikini was invented by armourers getting confused over competition in the studded leather market? :)

17. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Avoiding armour perforation and bone fracture.

Correct. Sometimes male Celts (don't know about females) fought even completely naked and covered in oil, so as to prevent themselves from being grabbed and held. It was a matter of style. The little leather obviously wasn't supposed to offer a full plate load of AC bonus. Scientifically speaking, the Celts relied on their DEX mod for that.

18. JSBB Gems: 31/31

I have seen Henry VIIIs suit of armour and it is quite amusing. It is blatantly obvious that it was never intended to actually be worn for any other purpose than for the King to go around showing off that he was a big macho guy... with an extra large package.

Even if we ignore the absurd looking codpiece - one would think that the fact that it is so large and round that it looks like a pot bellied stove might have caused Henry to decide that it would just make him look silly.

19. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    joacquin, actually, yes, that was one of the purposes... Back then phallic symbols had a way stronger effect than they do these days, and the King, as the best man in the land, had to have the biggest package by default. The effect was probably somewhat lost on the nobility since they all played the same game, but it quite certainly impressed the ignorant masses.

20. Cúchulainn Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

I still think this tradition has survived to this very day. Henry had a large codpiece, men these days have to have a big car, rifle, television to make up for other things :eek: And yes it still impresses the ignorant masses :roll:

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.