1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Celestial Fury

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Mierin, Dec 30, 2000.

1. Rasalgethi Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Crawl, I like a lot the Staff of Magi especially against large groups of creatures : I come inside the groupe invisible, appear then disappear quickly, so the creatures surround me... then, 1 or 2 Solar Fires do some nice damages :).

It's a nice method I use with my Solo Sorceror.

Then the +5 and dispell abilities are nice too... hmmm and Spell Trap... well, ok I stop here ;).

2. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    I give just the global direction for weapons of mass destruction (The only real mass-destructors are mages; no fighter can don that much damage that quick to so many victims):
    Some more exotic stuff, nontheless quite handy:
    -Flamethounge: Druid´s forrest
    -Firesword +1: in Waukeens Promenade
    -Belm (scimitar, 1 extra attack, 1W8 + 2 or 3/ Druid´s forrest near a cow)
    -Skullcrusher (?!); mace +4/ underdark
    Good fun chopping monsters

3. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Skullcrusher is +3 if I remember right. My Anomen has it. Very cool mace.

4. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Heh... I wasn't gonna step into that trap again... Last time I got ripped a new one... :)

5. Ragusa

Media:
    [​IMG] You´re right Tal, I mixed it up: Skullcrusher does 1w6+4 damage, +2 extra damage against humanoids and has ETWO-3, but it is a mace +3.
    Numbers tend to confuse me.

6. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Veteran

Well I think Celestrial Fury is a very powerfull Off-Hand-weapon. It does much damage, is fast and very important: it stuns... so with a few + on katana and 2-wepon-style it's very powerfull in the off-hand. While the character is stunned, its easy to hit him some more with the Flail of the Ages or the Equalizer in the main hand. Powerfull against druids and sorcerers too.

7. JohnnyV Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

My char. a paladin uses long sword, hammer, two handed sword so no katana for him.

Minsc uses two handed sword and mace (hey I didn't waste his points in mace Black Isle did) so no katana for him

jaheria can't use it

anomen can't use it

I'm not giving it to jan or aerie.

so I sold it. I sure wish it was a scimitar for jaheria or a long sword. oh well.

8. Ragusa

Media:
    About flamethounge: Did anyone else use it? I think it performed quite well against undead (better that daystar), so I´m surprised that I seem to be the only one who likes it.

9. Sorl Guest

Daystar has that once a day spell (holy something) streamlined against undead which killed 6 vampires in one go (second time into the cementry). I don't think flametoung can best that. I had Nalia equipped with flame for a long time but now it tends to be daystar (she only melees in dire need (allways gets her gown dirty)).
    And melee fighting is for cheating cowards anyway.

[This message has been edited by Sorl (edited January 10, 2001).]

10. Ragusa

Media:
    Melee fighting is the only way for kill for a kensai-thief, Sorl. Doubtless, backstabbing is unfair cowardry (but it´s pretty cunning, isn´t it?, especially with AC -4).
    Of course, the on real heroes in the game are snipers and mages firing spells and arrows from a safe sanctuary.

11. Sylvus Moonbow Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

"Of course, the only real heroes in the game are snipers and mages firing spells and arrows from a safe sanctuary."

LOL!

I'm glad that's a joke.

Syl...

12. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Joke? What's so funny about that? Everyone knows that bows are the weapon of choice for the heroic adventurer...

13. Sylvus Moonbow Gems: 21/31

LOL!

Oh BTA you are just as funny too!

Hehehehe

Hohohohho

Hahahahah

Oh me oh my!

Syl...

14. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    Heh... I thought you'd like that! :)

15. Sorl Guest

Fight A: (anonymous mage vs. anonymous monster)
    Standing unprotected face to face with a fierce enemy (ok at calling distance :) ), knowing his first hit will be the last one you will feel, weaving up a spell that might stay him for a second - but then may not - a second spell to bring down his defenses, he's upon you now (carrying that heavy platemail shield, helm twohanded weapon somehow doesn't slow him compared to you), so you nimbly and just barely avoid his first blow, jump behind him, run a few steps, cast your second attackspell acid arrow, just barely get if off before his katana bytes through the staff you defendingly hold before yourself. A close one; you're thrown down, but you see him stagger from the acid injected into his veins; you creep away backwards as fast as you can, but his ugly hateful face comes nearer and nearer. He topples over forward screaming in pain, you use your chance fire a magic missile at his unprotected face and so end his miserable life.

Fight B: (anonymous fighter vs. anonymous monster)
    You confidently stand in armor and shield (AC -14, HP 120, THAC0 -5) wielding crom in yopur right. You know the enemy will get a hit in 2.5% of his attempts doing about 5 hp damage to you, so you have about 800 rounds, to mindlessly hack away at him doing an average of 50 hp damage to him every round. Not that you exactly know his hps but everything below 40000 is uncritical, considering you regenerate quickly. So suppressing a yawn you kill the enemy with two strikes, pull a hankerchief to pat off the two sweat drops wich formed and are off for the next monster.

So which fight takes more courage (not on the monsters side, mind you)???

Clearly the fighter standing safely in his mobile bunker pumped (in his AC, hps, to hit, to damage, ...) up by dozens of magical items, getting double strikes by his boots of speed alone, has the odds safely at his side.

The mage/sorcerer has got some defensive spells which take so long to cast that the first one is over while the poor bastard is still busy waving his hands around. He got allmost nothing to enhance his spellcasting capabilities (the drawbacks of having a perfect mind :)). So he relys on his exceptional brain and exceeding courage to defeat even the most terrifying of opponents at great personal risk.

I'm not saying that mages or sorcs are stupid loosers. They are proud warriors and fun to play :cool: . But they certainly do not have to step back to some uncivilized swordwielder who can't count to three just because he never needs more strikes against an enemy. Their spells may bridge a greater space than the longsword, but that does not neccessarily reduce their risk or courage.

Flame over

[This message has been edited by Sorl (edited January 11, 2001).]

16. Sylvus Moonbow Gems: 21/31

You guys! Such jokers! Next we'll be reading about archers. Good one Sorl! I loved it!

Syl...

17. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    [​IMG] You mean there are people out there that DON'T play an Archer class? I don't think so... After all, the Archer class is really the only worthwhile class to play, and everyone knows it...

18. Ragusa

Media:
    Hey Sorl, how about that:

Your weak little sorcerer is down in Irenicus dungeon, alone in the dark. You decided to learn some nice spells when you built up your character, skull trap for example.
    You go and meet this funny oger-magus and fry him with a few magic missiles. Then you head down that way to the bottle-people, wiping away six goblins with a skull-trap (as you will do three more times). It starts to bore you then, if don´t have any ambitions to annilhilate the whole goblin population of Faerun.
    Fortunately there is a bit of diversion in form of a few poor mephits. Hmm, which superior killing spell is appropiate? Acid arrow, hmm, always these decisions what needs to be made.

You may think it´s better to play it straight as a ranger with his longsword, but imagine: He´s blinded by the mephits, the goblin archers firer arrows at him while their comrades stop you in front of them, other mephits paralize you ore attack you with cold, fire or lightning...

He´s alone in the dark too.

19. Ragusa

Media:
    Excuse my poor typing.

20. Sorl Guest

[​IMG] Who's weak sorcerer??
    Mine's strong and prowd.
    I don't really get your point, my sorc isn't immune to being blinded. If you get blinded do as I do and charge a force attack in the direction you came from and slam the next door closed behind you. I have to household very carefully with my spells (you got a lot more arrows in your quiver and keep finding new ones on the way) lest I sleep 8 hours for 5 minutes of spell casting (not my style, especially in a dungeon, where my captor an admittedly strong spellcaster may at anytmie reappear (and killing him now would end the game and I payed as much as you did)).
    So I use darts and trowing-knives. I don't really mind fighters as long as they don't melee :). Actually I don't even mind that, these poor people don't know any better, they can't spellweave.
    Just don't say it's cool to hide behind tons of armor.

As for your assumptins concerning my relation to goblins:
    I'm chaotic good, so I don't kill for fun, I don't kill for money, I kill for the shear experience (and take the loot to balance my expenses) :D !
    Being such a pure soul, I never tire of learing, gaining more experience, and balancing even more of my expenses.

And yes, being a sorcerer means taking a difficult path in live. More difficult than a simple mage as I make spell decicions for life at every major turing point of my career. This mandates wisdom in addition to superior intelligence. As leader a high charisma is also necessary (thank the gods of chaos for that ring).

[This message has been edited by Sorl (edited January 12, 2001).]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.