1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Cave battle problems

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale 2' started by hootpad, Nov 17, 2009.

1. hootpad Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

[​IMG] So uh yea.

I'm at that spot right after you solve the rock puzzle in IWDII (end of chapter 3)

However here's the problem. I did all that etc etc I met with the troops from Neverwinter, however instead of greeting them and moving into the cave (for the first Dragon fight) they immiediatly turned into the 'dopplegangers' so I defeat them no problem.

However, instead of the Cave battle being 2 seperate battles like its supposed to be now when I go in the cave there are 2 WWs plus their wyverns. A rediculous task for a cpl lvl 11s, and I've alrdy tried to go down the hole but it says I must defeat them first. I'm pretty sure I did something earlier in the game to make the Neverwinter troops attack me right away.

Is that they way it's supposed to be or did I **** up?

Any help is appreciated.

2. crucis

crucis Fighting the undead in Selune's name Veteran

You didn't necessarily do anything wrong. It's just one of the possible options for that situation. I've had to do it both ways, though admittedly it's easier to deal with the dragons separately.

3. hootpad Gems: 3/31

Welp, that being the case I guess I'm screwed. Dont know how I'm gonna kill everything at once =/

Sucks to be me I guess.

4. kmonster Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Veteran

Don't bother. There are several ways to win this battle, try different tactics.

If you tell us your party composition you'll get more detailed advice.

5. hootpad Gems: 3/31

Human Paladin of Mystra(1)/
    Monk of the Old Order(1)/
    Sorcerer(x)
    (2 of em)

Human Bard(5)/
    Dreadmaster of Bane(4)/
    Druid(x)

Deep Gnome Monk of the Old Order(1)/
    Dreadmaster of Bane(20)/
    Illusionist(9)

Deep Gnome Rogue(2)/
    Paladin(1)/
    Illusionist(x)

all around lvl 11 or so

6. spmdw45 Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

I had that happen to me too--I also didn't deliver the trapped letter and had to fight the doppelgangers, I wonder if it's related. The thing that makes the combined battle hard is that the second dragon pops up at the BACK, bypassing your decoy. Well, that and the fact that the dragon breath Slows you and can't be Evaded. Anyway, hopefully you have enough Hide skills and Invisibility spells of various sorts that you can make everyone invisible, turn off AI ("A" key), attack one of the dragons with your decoy so they all focus on him (probably need many Mirror Images and/or healing potions for him), and THEN turn AI back on and/or do your normal long-range missile attacks on the dragons. It should be quite doable.

-Max

7. hootpad Gems: 3/31

I dunno, anymore tactics or tricks that might work in this situation are appreciated

---------- Added 2 hours, 10 minutes and 53 seconds later... ----------

Wow, I beat it somehow. Only took like 2 hours. Thanks to those that helped.

8. Fly2tHeSkY

Fly2tHeSkY Southern Comfort Veteran

You know, I never actually got to experience that. I always gave the fake letters to the dopplegangers and thus got to butcher them in the 'near death' state. So if you don't trick them, they end up attacking you at the SAME time as the dragons do?

9. hootpad Gems: 3/31

No what happens is, technically the battle is supposed to go like this.

You talk to the soldiers, yadda yadda, then run in the cave to kill one WW and some wyvrns.

Then you're supposed to go back outside and find out that they are dopplegangers, kill them, then go back inside to fight another WW and some more wyvrns.

For some reason, some people get attacked immiediatly by the dopplegangers only to go into the Cave to see that the spawn is twice the size as it should be.

10. coineineagh

coineineagh I wish for a horde to overrun my enemies Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] The wyverns are easily 'frozen' with Chromatic Orb, taking them out of the picture. That leaves the 2 wyrms. They have weak magic resistance, meaning offensive spells can get through. But it's easiest to just buff up beforehand.

11. crucis

And they're probably vulnerable to flame damage.

12. Sir Rechet

Sir Rechet I speak maths and logic, not stupid Veteran

Hey, that's extra wyrm and DRAGON spawns for more kill exp! Surely beats the lousy quest exp you get by delivering the letters earlier on.

Is this double spawn a random glitch or something you could actually count on happening? ;)

13. spmdw45 Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

@Rechet,

That wasn't how it happened for me.

See Doppelgangers when first entering outside map. A fight starts, I don't remember if I could have avoided it.
    No wyrms outside. Go in the cave.
    One wyrm and some wyverns. Attack!
    One round into things, the second wyrm (who would normally have been fought before entering the cave) show up on the edge of the map and attacks from behind.

So, I didn't get more monster EXP, just got to fight them all at once instead of separately.

-Max

14. hootpad Gems: 3/31

Yea that's how it was for me.

2 wyrms and a dragon attack from the front then another dragon spawns at the cave entrance all at once.

15. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

That has never happened for me. I have always fought the dopplegangers, then the White Dragon and crew outside and then another inside the cave. I should try running directly into the cave next time. I would love to fight 2 Dragons at once. AWESOME! That is what these games are all about, the great, epic battles. The Dragon being the King-Daddy of them all! Now I can fight 2 at once. Thanks for the idea! Only if there was a way to fight 2 Reds at once.... maybe in BG2?

16. crucis

Agreed. I don't think that there are any additional dragons or wyrms. It's just that you may face them in a single battle, or split into two separate battles. I don't know if there's any difference in possible XP. I suppose that having to face them in a single battle may be worth some more XP in that the challenge rating may be higher with 2 dragons and more white wyrms, than in the two smaller battles.

17. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

With the 3rd edition rules, I would say yes, the CR should be higher. But I doubt the game adjust for that instance. Though, that would be a nice addition to the game if it did.

18. hootpad Gems: 3/31

Well it being my first time running through IWDII (played IWD years ago) it was quite an epic battle to say the least. I had to go back to town and buy like 20k worth of potions and just roll heals constantly 1-6.

I killed both wyrms then went outside saved, and then went back inside to finish the dragons.

I spent about 2 hours figuring out how to approach the situation. For a first timer it was deefinetely the hardest battle yet.

19. Sir Rechet

Sir Rechet I speak maths and logic, not stupid Veteran

I haven't noticed any CR modifications whatsoever during the test runs, so I'd be extremely surprised to find any in the future.

The only thing that changes, based on your party's average level, is the amount and type of mobs you meet. But once that's decided, you'll always get the same tabled amount of exp per kill for a given mob whether you fight them alone or together with their ten identical brothers and sisters.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.