1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Caution - Sharp Weapons Ahead

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by buzz142010, Apr 21, 2002.

1. Ok, since this is on the discution of weapons allowed, I have one that is extremely stupid(in my eyes anyway).

MC/DC Fighter-Mage can use swords, and all that.
    Mc/DC Fighter-Cleric can not use any bladed weapon.

Excatly why is a Cleric disallowed the ability to use a bladed weapon?
    They dont like to hurt other people, well..why are they allowed to use blunt objects? Those are capible to hurt people far more than bladed weapons.

2. Faragon Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

Well, wether you stab someone in the heart, or crush his chest with a sledgehammer. It really doesn't make much of a difference now does it? :) (Except for the nice splattering and crushing sound and flying around pieces of bone :grin: )

However, I have always detested the fact that my Fighter/Clerics aren't able to wield swords. It makes a bit sense. I mean, the cleric has a lot to do with undead. What hurts undead best? Blunts and Fire.

*crosses fingers and hopes for swordwielding clerics in IWD2*

3. corbulo87 Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

clerics cannot use bladed weapons because according to medieval history, warrior priests or chaplains or whatever made a vow never to shed the blood of another human, and so used huge fricking hammers to bash the living snot out of their enemies instead.

personally, i would like to see a two handed hammer brought into play. (1D10 crushing damage? OH YEAH!!!)

4. Yeah well, your going to shed blood if you smash someones head, or cut their head off with a sword. Personally I would like my dwarven Cleric to weild an ax.

5. Carmsyr+6 and The Varconia(moonblade)can easaly rock this world!

My favorite though is the carmsyr+6(padine the paladine,cavalier,is my main and his a paladine who know's how to use mean lean 2h sword's) :cool:

[One more post with 100 exclamation marks in it and you'll be IOTW-ized. And I seriously suggest you go read the forum rules which you've obviously missed upon registration.] -Tal

[This message has been edited by Taluntain (edited May 26, 2002).]

6. Errol Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Padine, by now i think...WE KNOW YOU PLAY A PALADIN!

Hurmm...didn't mean to sound rude but you babble on in every post about your Pally. And i'm sure my Ultimate Party could kick your Ultimate Party's ass anyday! :p:grin::rolleyes:

And please read the Forum Rules here about your exclamation mark use.

Other than that, Welcome to the message boards and hope your stay is a nice one.

I think the good ol' Quarterstaves are very underestimated. Let's compare Staffs and Short Swords:
    Short Sword
    - Average short sword speed factor is what? 4 or something.
    - 1D6 normal damage.
    - Light Weight.
    - Can wield two of them.
    - Can backstab if you're a thief

Quarterstaff
    - Average speed is 4 or 3, faster than most weapons anyway.
    - Easy to get hold of, Staff of Rhynn +3 available in Adventurers Mart chapter 2.
    - Light Weight.
    - With Two Handed Weapon Style they can become deadly indeed.
    - Can only wield one and no backstabbing.
    - You can get a Staff that creates food once per day.:p

-----------
    So for straight combat i would advise the Staff has a very healthy alternative to the Short Sword, Long Sword or even the Bastard Sword.
    And it certainly beats the Hammers/Maces/Flails anyday.

Staff of the Magi.....[drool]:love::money::grin:

Other good weapons are Crossbows, Darts (you'd be surprised), Ninja-To's and Scimitars.

*rant over*
    thats my lot, have a nice day.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 27, 2017
  7. Kull Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

The staff of the magi is terrific and in a class by itself (although it does little melee damage). Otherwise, I must disagree with Gopher. Staves are not the best weapon in melee - not even the staff of the ram +6, which is a very good melee weapon (but others are better). I've learned this from a lot of dueling and a lot of playing.

Edit: Of course, there are specific exceptions... The Staff of Smiting is one of the best weapons in melee - when your adversary is a golem!

[This message has been edited by Kull (edited May 30, 2002).]

[This message has been edited by Kull (edited May 30, 2002).]

8. TheBlackRose Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Hmmm. Here are some nice weapons from my previous 6-person game. They were kind of the 'clutch weapon' for each character.

Heartseeker was a nice weapon for my ToB archer who pretty much always hit, even without its THAC0-boosting abilities.

"The" Staff was useful in keeping Jan out of trouble.

My main tank, Korgan DWed two +3 axes, Frostreaver and Stonefire for a nice "Fire and Ice" combo. :) ;)

Valygar had Celestial Fury and Family Blade/Katana +3. When I switched him with Sola, Sola used the Ice Star Flail +4 and the FoA for some impressive bloodletting.

When Jaheira had to fight, she did it very well with either the Sling of Everard or Blackblood.

Finally, Imoen was a weakling of sorts in battle, but had her moments. Cutthroat +4, and Tansheron's Bow.

9. kemanmaldea Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

A note on Midevel history and Full plate armor. In many cases the guy in light armor (or none) one due to the fact the the joints in full plate are huge(and unprotected) as well as makeing the person Slow. So what you did was dodge his first atack and then get close enough to stab him in the armpit (sword arm) or back of knee (for escape). And if you did both it wasnt too hard to yank off his helm and dice his neck.

On topic the favorate wepon I have is a bastad sword called Foebane (Gotta love the healing action)

10. ywpark89 Guest

But what about the sword-dirk combo? I mean, there are some daggers that are pretty good. The life stealer(where the hell do you get that?) and if you have tdd installed, assasins quarry. Nice match with the Foebane.

11. Metsu Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Well, the life stealer dagger is from Baldur's Gate 1. Many items in BG2 are from BG1, since the programmers presumed that you might have them on your main-character when you import him/her from BG1.

12. Sir Daie Guest

Silver Sword, v. useful for killing stuff quickly.

13. Abyssal Knight Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Scimitars look the coolest when dual wielded.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.