1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Carsomyr question.

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Amdis, Jun 23, 2008.

1. Amdis

Amdis Note to self, claws are not toothpicks

[​IMG] Ok i installed the tactics mod from Westley Weimers mod website and started the game with a undead slayer. I picked the 2 handed weapon and 2 handed weapon style..plus crossbow.(Will not use one though till i can by that fire crossbow at Watchers keep.) But from what i saw so far i must say i like what the tactics mod does for the game.

Now it is a challenge again, like the fact that with this mod installed you will have really dangerous battles at De'Arnisse Hold and all kind of things like that. Because i like what that mod does for the game i started looking at the other mods on Westleys website. I was already using Ascension and now also the tactics mod.

But in the online readme from the mod Item Upgrade i read that the dispel magics effect and the magic resistance effect do not seem to work as they should. If i understand the readme correctly then the dispel magics effect isn't working and the magic resistance is not aded to the MR that you protoganist already has, but set at 50%. Meaning that if you hat already 20% MR then you should have 70% when wielding Carsomyr, but accordingly to the readme it is set to 50%.

So if the readme is correct(Which i assume it is. :) )then you lose 20% MR, does anyone know if this is indeed the case, or has this been solved?

2. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    That is the case. The item upgrade mod contains a version of Carsomyr that makes the MR additive and has the dispel magic functioning on each hit.

3. Amdis

Well in that case i'm of to download then. *sigh* :)

4. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    While you're doing your downloading, you might want to consider SCSII rather than Tactics. :)

(A bit off-topic, I know, but since you're enjoying the challenge of an older mod, you would probably enjoy a newer one even more.)

5. Amdis

Hmm you got a point there, i might just aswell take a look at that one, thanks Splunge. :)

Well i downloaded it, but tactics latest version isn't much older then SCSII. Still in my next game i will use SCSII just to see the difference between the two mods. :)

Last edited: Jun 23, 2008
  6. senex Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Does that mean the vanilla version ( fixpacked or baldurdashed ) doesn't dispel magic on each hit and if that's the case, how doeas the vanilla version work exactly?

7. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    It doesn't appear to. Adding the Item Upgrade Mod significantly improved the dispelling characteristics of Carsomyr (to be the same as Staff of the Magi). Without a fixpack, the SoA version of Carsomyr doesn't even do the right damage.

8. Shaitan

Shaitan Always forgive your enemies; it annoys them so

It's been years since Westley did something to that mod, only G3(?) has done some trial/error fixes to his older mods.

9. Amdis

That is weird? So it is because of G3(?) that on Westley site the date of the tactics mod is Mon Apr 28 14:12:35 CDT 2008?

10. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    According to the readme, the latest addition to Tactics was to update the French translation. Shaitan is right - SCSII is relatively new, and DavidW is updating it on a regular basis.

11. Amdis

Yeah and i have been...well studying the online readme from SCSII better, and it is starting to look more interresting by the minute. As i wrote before i like what the tactics mod does, but i already found something that i thought shouldn't be there.

When doing the Unseeing eye quest, you come to those caves with ghouls and such. With the magic spells aded to them from tactics they are better then the unmodded versions. But IMHO putting a powerfull lich at that place so early ingame is a bit over the top. I like it when it is challenging..but that is a bit to much i think.

From what i have read in the SCSII readme i believe it is more realistic in many ways, that is more realistic for my taste. I am seriously thinking of reinstalling BG2 and then install SCSII instead of Tactics. Please do not get me wrong, i am not saying tactics is a bad mod..not all, but after studying SCSII's readme i think that it is more for me then tactics. :)

12. starwalker Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

I've never had problems with Carsomyr not dispelling on each hit (barring certain things stopping the hit from getting through of course. But the MR isn't additive.

All I'm using basically is the patched game and ToB as well as some npc mods. I've got ascension and the monk parts of the oversight mod.

Edit: And part of the inconsistancies in the Damage would be based off the seemingly random alignment changes. But I don't agree with any of the alignment change mods or the personal morals put into them. Realistically bandits can be good(Robin Hood anyone?) and most of the populations should actually probably be true neutral because they commit about an average number of good and evil acts. With perhaps some politicians pushing towards lawful evil but the random alignments are easily justifiable if we consider that many of them are living their own lives and we only know minute instances to most of them.

But I could easily justify basically everything that I fight being evil in some way... Particularly with my paladin as being evil in some form except maybe the Fallen Paladins. Which means with Carsomyr I'd always be getting damage something like. 11-22 damage. +2 for my pips in two handed swords. and like +8 for my strength... Meaning I'm doing 20 to 30 damage easily each swing to EVERYTHING. Without the alignment changes that +5 to evil isn't coming to play against everything I fight which is a bit more realistic. Some of my criticals when that bonus damage against evil aren't counted are in the 30-40's instead of the 50-60's all the time.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2008
  13. Proteus_za

Proteus_za

I could be wrong, but I think that might be a result of the Always Highest Level Spawns in Dungeons Component. SCS II has a similar component, but is more configurable.

You see, when you are in a dungeon, the types of monsters that will spawn are based on your level. The Always Highest Level Spawns makes the toughest monsters spawn no matter what your level is, hence the liches. Just dont install the component.

In general though, I agree that I vastly prefer SCS II to tactics. Most of the components in tactics I would skip over, because I like to be irritated, not challenged. But SCS II is nicely configurable, and doesnt cheat much at all.

14. Amdis

I have tested SCS II and i realy do like the way it works...BUT unfortunately i do not have a high end computer and due to the length of the scripts i got a very..very noticeable lag in my game, so much as a matter of fact that the game became unplayable for me with SCS II. So unfortunately i hat to uninstall it. :cry:

Incase some one wants to know, i only have a AMD 1.15 GHz with 512 ram and a Geforce FX5200.

15. Silverstar Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

You might have tried playing a little with the configuration options. Those lags you experienced, were they only when a NPC (spell caster, generally) created for the first time, such as entering a new area or summoning a lich, perhaps? Such lags do tend to occur even in high-end PCs and is avoidable. Or did you have lags during everything, in and out of combat?

16. Amdis

Well it was actualy only when entering areas and things loaded for the first time or when a random encounter happened on the street,(The spawning part) other wise i didn't notice a difference. But when it happened it often felt like i hat to wait a minute or so, which ofcourse wasn't the case..it just felt that way.

When i entered a building it often took a while to load the area, and when i left that building the same thing happened. I seem to recall reading some where that the loading times would be a bit longer then normal when using SCSII but i didn't thought it would be that noticeable. That's why i thought my computer wasn't strong enough to handle the scripts.

But from what you wrote it seems that what happened to me also happens to those with a high-end machine...and as such is normal behavior for SCSII...Aaaahhh. :o

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.