1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Capture of Bin Laden

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Dorion Blackstar, Feb 24, 2004.

1. Dorion Blackstar Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

So we keep hearing news reports of that they are closing in on Bin Laden.What effect do you think his capture might have for The War on Terrorism.

I also was wondering, if he is captured before the next election do you think this will gaurentee the eletion for Bush.I think it will.The Country is so divided right now that something like that would swing just enough votes to Bush to secure a victory.

2. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I would just like to say one thing. How could Bin Laden's capture ever be a boon for anyone? He has been on the run for more than two years. No matter how many people will lavish praise upon his captors the hunt for Bin Laden has been nothing but a dismal failure. Sadly I think the Bush regime is going to get a huge boost when Bin Laden is captured and many people will forget that he managed to evade capture for more than two years. The same really goes for Saddam, how on earth can it be a feather in the hat for anyone to capture Saddam 8 months after the war was declared to be over? Especially since the main objective was to get to him.

3. Morgoroth

Morgoroth Just because I happen to have tentacles, it doesn'

Well the last thing I heard of the "siege" in Pakistan was that USA denied the whole thing, so I doubt there is really anything going on there and well if they manage to capture Bin Laden (which I doubt) it will of course be a big victory for Bush and the republicans.

4. Varied Sundries Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Bin Laden has been in custody for months, even years. The Bush administration will trot him out in front of the public ever so conveniently before the next election.

Gee, I wonder how that will swing the polls?

5. Khazraj Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Who is Bin Laden?

6. Baronius

Baronius Mental harmony dispels the darkness ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

According to USA officials, Bin Laden is hiding in Pakistan (I cannot remember what part did they say exactly) and that intelligence satellites are checking the area. If the intelligence agencies give out such info to the public, then certainly Bin Laden will learn it too that they know where he is. So Laden should be in trouble now, with decreasing escape possibilites. On the other hand, such info can be a misinformation either, in order to cover the fact that they are close to Bin Laden, and do not want to make Laden suspicious (so in the latter case, Laden is not there where they say he is)

What would happen if Laden were captured? I am not American, so I am probably not good in this, but my opinion is that if Laden was captured, it still would not guarantee the re-election of Bush.

7. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    Perhaps not guarantee, but it would go a long way. It would be a validation for the war in Afghanistan (the term war used loosely here), and would give a sense of closure to the attacks of 9/11. So yeah, I think it's a big deal, and would go a long way in Bush's re-election campaign.

8. Pac man Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

It doesn't matter if they capture him or not. If he's gone, another one will step forward, and after that another...and another. Bin Laden is a trendsetter, and unfortunately there are plenty of people who walk the same path as he does.

9. Baronius

Not really. He was (is?) a big spiritual leader of international terrorism, and had LOT of money. And he was a talent in his profession. There are not many similar people. All I can compare to him at the moment is perhaps Abu Nidal.

10. RangerFox Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

In the grand scheme of things it will be a pointless and wasteful chase.

One terrorist goes down, another 10 will step in to take his place, and be more dangerous and angry because of the capture.

11. Baronius

In order to avoid/decrease that, Bin Laden must not be made a martyr if possible. He should be brought to justice.

12. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    OK, it's possible that another terrorist will take bin Laden's place. In fact, one probably will. But that simply isn't the point. No "other terrorist" has been responsible for organizing dozens of suicide bombers, no "other terrorist" has been responsible for organizing the bombing of the U.S.S. Cole (sp?) and - most importantly - no "other terrorist" has organized the hijacking 4 different planes on the same day and crashed them into the WTC, Pentagon, and the ground. Only bin Laden did these things.

If you aren't an American, maybe you don't feel as strongly about these things, but to most Americans, we want this guy. The average American would much prefer to see bin Laden captured the Suddien captured.

EDIT: Spelling

[ March 01, 2004, 21:35: Message edited by: Aldeth the Foppish Idiot ]

13. Varied Sundries Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Speaking for average Americans, I'd rather see Bush put in the slammer.

14. Hacken Slash

Hacken Slash OK... can you see me now?

@vs

Speak for yourself, not average Americans

15. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    I could not agree more. Maybe he and Bin Laden could be cell-mates.

But to be more serious, it is not a waste of time to bring someone to justice who masterminded the deaths of thousands of people. IMO, we should chase that smug little bastard to the edge of the world, if that's what it takes. :mad:

16. Register Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

And still you have an even more mass-murderer as your national leader. :rolleyes:

17. Chandos the Red

Media:
    Well, Shrub is not really competent, has little regard for the truth and is just a front man for corporate America. So, if it becomes a major crime for being mentally handicapped and not knowing the truth if it falls from the ceiling and lands on top of you, then I guess there is no reason to send him off to the big house. Of course, Cheney may be another matter, since kickbacks and bribes are crimes.

As for saying that Shrub is a mass-murderer that will require some explaining, since even I would not go that far.

18. ejsmith Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Dead or alive, when we get Binny, we'll just have to move onto the next one. I mean, it's not like there's a shortage of worthless sobs out there.

All Amerika really wants is some deterrance in there. We just want to help make it worth their time to leave us alone. And leave the Jews alone. And leave the Italians alone. And the Australians. And the Phillipinos. And the Canadians (dam our power grid for tying us with them!!!). And the British. And the Polish.

The can kill and maim amongst themselves like they've been doing for 800 years. I mean, that's cool with us.

However, I think they should stop sending us oil. If I really wanted to strike at the Great Satan, that's what I'd do. I mean, just sink oil tankers like it was Silent Service II. We'd adapt. And Christ himself knows that the whole world would feel the impact of their actions. Dude, they'd get the attention they've always wanted. I mean, everyone would be helping the Palestinians setup their state. Man, you'd convert that entire third world area into a paradise.

In comparison...

19. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    The capture of Bin Laden, maybe really in time for the coming elections to boost Bush's approval ratings (the thought they have him already and keep him as their joker for the elections isn't that far off), will produce what one might call a "national boner" - that is: safistaction, the long desired head on a spike and a good feeling - and a boost for Bush, but else?

Afghanistan will still be as unstable as it is today as Bin Laden yields no influence there anyway. The coming opium flood will still roll to the western world. The warlords will not be any less independent, ambitious and bellicose. The capture too will bring not much in the fight on Al Quaeda - if one wants to believe Gen. Peter Pace, vice chairman of the U.S. Joint Chiefs of Staff:
    So, getting Bin Laden will be a feelgood pseudo-victory, a PR boost for Bush, not so much a true breakthrough in the war on terror. It's not that the capture will be futile, but it's effect should not be overestimated, it'll be mainly propagandistic - in a way that there will be another wild haired, ushaved and humiliated bum being pulled out of a hole or cave ... reality tv footage guaranteed.

Bin Laden's capture, just like Saddam's, is an example how the US act globally but think locally, DCish. As with Saddam the "but now we have Bin Laden" line will smother any critical discourse of Bush's evident failures - justified and prudent critic will be perceived as spoilsport - again.

20. Chandos the Red

Media:
    Ragusa - I understand what you are saying, and I agree with some of it. But Bin Laden is a criminal. He should be pursued as would any other criminal who is a large part of such a crime as what happened in New York City on 9/11. The Nazi war criminals were chased, and still are, with a passion for justice. The same can be said for others who commit acts of mass murder, regardless of the country of origin.

With the elections coming, it is apparent that Shrub is looking for almost anything to help his failing presidency. He is in very serious trouble here. The timing just can't be argued with. Americans were being told that Bin Laden did not matter when Bush thought that the war in Iraq would make him look "tough on terror," which was the big red herring.

Now they are saying that they are questioning realtives to get some leads. I mean, COME ON, did it take them this long to figure that one out?

But of course the weather is a bit better for hiking around the mountains now also. :rolleyes:

http://www.freep.com/news/latestnews/pm18672_20040228.htm

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.