1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Canadian PM: New bill to BAN SIM/Cellphone locks in Canada

Discussion in 'BoM Blogs' started by Disciple of The Watch, Jun 29, 2010.

1. Disciple of The Watch

Disciple of The Watch Preparing The Coming of The New Order Veteran

As per the title, Bill C-560 could very well be foreseeing the END of cellphone locks. Those locks are what prevents a customer from using an old GSM phone, for example.

I agree. Providers regain the cash they lost selling a handset at "discount" price through a contract. Through the length of the contract, the handset is paid for, and if one decides to take their buisness to a different carrier, like say a competing GSM provider, then they SHOULD BE ABLE TO.

Removing a SIM lock is delicate buisness, and an unexperimented user might end up permanently locking the phone trying to unlock it. Like my old 3590, for example, which is hardlocked, meaning that even if I get the correct unlock code, the phone will reject it. I tried generic unlock codes, and shared codes, ignorant of the fact the phone would become hardlock after the fifth attempt. There you go, the phone I paid for now is a paperweight unless I get a new SIM from the same provider.

Some phones are downright a pain in the ass to unlock. The RAZR V3R, for example. This phone's bootloader and generation (Neptune LTE2) makes it require a testpoint to unlock, and it's a royal PITA to do, I know, I tried.

My V3R originally was a prepaid phone, and on prepaid, the phone costs full retail price. Since you're basically buying the phone outright, it's yours and you should be able to jump to a (compatible, of course) provider's network if you so damn well please.

Or my Samsung Hype. Rogers prepaid kit. Paid for the phone in full. I can't use it on Fido -- which is owned by ROGERS, BTW. This is bulls***.

Or, even more hysterical... the strange case of TELUS MIKE. MiKE is the name of the iDEN network provider in Canada. MiKE iDEN phones are SIM locked. Want me to pay roaming charges, I guess? You morons don't even charge LD for DC! Jump to the competition? IMPOSSIBLE, THERE IS ONLY ONE iDEN NETWORK IN CANADA!

*AHEM* But I digress. If this bill is adopted, it would bring a fresh air of desperately needed competition to the Canadian cellphone industry. Not that I give a <d>uck, being an iDEN user with no competition to go.

Too bad this bill will not apply to CDMA phones. Then again, diehard CDMA users do not care about locks... we own the keys to our CDMA phone's mind, body and soul, and used in conjunction with the proper tools, are a proof to break the widely spread myth about CDMA that CDMA phones CANNOT be used on ANY network other than the native network. Not going to elaborate on the procedure, but it works, I know that much.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.