1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Can someone explain Bracers of Defense?

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Bowie, Mar 13, 2001.

1. Bowie Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

I've checked in the manuals of BG, BG2 and IWD and all they say about bracers are they're thick bands of metal or leather strapped to the forearm. Real helpful... I even checked the AD&D FAQ at this site but couldn't find it there either.

Anyway, if say I've got Bracers of Defense AC 8, and place them on a fighter with AC 0 without them what does this do? Set the AC for defensive rolls to 8, or bring it down to -2, or what? Again I'm confused. Thanks.

2. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I don't know for sure, but with the limited experience I have with them from these games, it seems like it's an either-or situation. Your armor class seems to be set to the better of the two: the bracers' AC or everything else you've got on. Then your AC bonus for Dex is applied.

I wouldn't be surprised if this is not correct though...

3. Slappy Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Somebody will probably explain this better than me but here goes,

Bracers of defence act like armour - chain mail, leather, plate, etc. If you put on some plate mail your character's armour class becomes 3 (see page the index at the back of the manual). If your character puts bracers of defence 8, his AC becomes 8. The lower the AC the better. However there are two points to bear in mind.

The first is obvious - bracers go on the arms, armour is worn on the body. This makes bracers ideal for your mages who can't wear (most) armour.

The second is that the game only uses the best armour type it doesn't add them together. So if you are wearing plate (3) and bracers (8) the game sets your AC at 3 and ignores the 8.

You also need to allow for the AC bonus that your character gets when dexterity gets above 14 (again see the manual index). The easiest thing to do is try the bracers on all of the characters to see which one gets the most benefit from them (it'll probably be a mage). Later in the game you can get Bracers of class 3, which are very useful for the likes of Imoen, and Nalia.

Hope this makes some sense. have fun with the game.

4. Jefe Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

[​IMG] Blackthorne, you're right. The difference is that you can use protection cloaks and rings w/ bracers, but not w/ magical armor. Also, the BG2 manual seems to indicate that magical armor gives a bonus to Saving Throws also, but in P&P D&D I thought that was only for protections cloaks and rings. Not to compund the issue though.

5. Da Punisher Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

A Magical armor doesn't give you extra bonusses on your savind throws. Only special armors like Keldorn's and I believe Valigar's. But when this is so, it will be written in the decription.

6. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Veteran

Well Bracers of Defence AC 4 act like an armor witch armor class 4. (Chain) When you wear a chainmail, and then use the bracers of defence AC4 you don't get a lower AC because the barcers give prtoection, not a bonus.

7. Jefe Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

[​IMG] Not to be contrary Punisher, but just so you know I wasn't blowing smoke.

BG2 Game Manual pg. 222 under heading magical armor. . . 'Furthermore, these armors grant some measure of protection against attacks that normal armors would not stop. Chain Mail +1, for instance, improves the chaacter's saving throw against the fiery breath of a dragon by 1. . . '

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.