1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Can I play a necromancer?

Discussion in 'Diablo 1 & 2' started by Eyebreaker7, Feb 29, 2016.

1. Eyebreaker7

Eyebreaker7 Someone clean my litter box ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Thanks dmc
    That kinda makes wands useless in melee then so why have that property?

2. Eyebreaker7

Eyebreaker7 Someone clean my litter box ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Took on Diablo late last night / early this morning. Definitely harder than Duriel. A LOT harder. First thing was a fire nova. BAM minions gone. Re-summon clay golem. BAM clay golem gone with another fire nova. This time it almost killed jabby (merc) as well.
    Gave jabby a healing pot and proceeded to go in for the attack. BAAAAAAAM. Lightning hose (or whatever it's called). Jabby and I both dead. This happened a few times before killing Diablo. I would cast decrepify and then spam poison nova while jabby and a clay golem attacked physically. When I DID finally kill him there was actually a clay golem still alive somehow . Lol.
    I burned through over a dozen full rejuve pots before it was over. I didn't need any vs. Duriel. Duriel was a joke. I was a joke to Diablo. Lol.
    I did get Sigon's boots though so I'm happy. Now I just need the rest. I've been on the look out for Sigon's stuff. Will be happy if / when I get the full set :tie:

3. Eyebreaker7

Media:
    What do YOU use for attacking with a summoning necromancer? A melee weapon? Missal weapon? Spells?
    So far I've been using a melee weapon but it's a crappy one but it is for the angelic set. It's socketed with a perfect emerald so it does a little damage. It won't be useful much longer. I've also be playing with a crappy damage bow that does explosive ammo so I've been keeping it as well. I know I should be using different equipment but what should I use instead?
    I do spam poison nova now and then if there's a large group and want to get it done quick. I also spam corpse explosion at times. Such a fun spell. But boy is it messy. Lol.

4. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Attack??!! Attack??!! What is this attack thing you are discussing? My necromancer does not attack. He buffs his nails and spams curses while his minions attack.

5. Paracelsi

Paracelsi Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Interesting visual image, considering Xul (the canon necromancer):

[​IMG]

So... manicures. Scythe or dagger? How about pedicures? Do you use Decrepify to give your hair more volume as you pull off that "Look at me, I'm a badass" pose?

Last edited: Apr 15, 2016
  6. Eyebreaker7

Media:
    Where do the bodies go?? Most of the time if I go to town and come back the bodies are gone. Also what is even MORE annoying is when I go into a room a couple of screens down the hallway and then go back to get more/replacement skelies, the bodies are gone?? Is there a gremlin following me around just to aggravate me??

7. Eyebreaker7

Media:
    Why do you hate assassins?
    Sorry for the slight necro. Started up an assassin last night & remembered this statement. Not sure if I will go with traps or martial arts.

8. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    I found them to be underwhelming in the melee aspect and the pseudo-caster type (trap focus) was like a gimped real caster. In short, they were weak at everything that I tried and I felt mostly annoyance when I was running them. I did quite a bit of build research and just wasn't impressed by any build.

9. Eyebreaker7

Media:
    dmc it says Veteran under your name. Does it mean you've been here so long you've acquired that title or are you a military veteran?

10. dmc

Media:
    @T2Bruno is the military veteran, not me. Although I will say during the Bush presidency when I was moderating the Alleys, I felt like I might have taken some shrapnel . . . :p

I'm guessing it just means that, vis-a-vis membership in this website, I'm as old as dirt!

11. Eyebreaker7

Media:
    Well @T2Bruno thank you for your service and any sacrifices you had to make.

12. Paracelsi

Paracelsi Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    IMO the best way to play an assassin is to specialize in having as many things going off in your screen as possible, much like the druid. With most classes you basically stick to having a primary/secondary skill, in part because their skills lack variety/versatility (IE, require significant skillpoint investment in other skills to be useful) or because shared cooldowns prevent you from spamming different types of skills.
    Assassins have a summon (Shadow Warrior/Master), "spells"/traps (Death Sentry), debuffs (Fade/Burst of Speed), passives and charge up/finishing arts. Many of these skills require either zero or not a lot of points in other skills to be useful, many of them do not have a shared cooldown with other skills and you can have at least one from each category active at any time.

AFAIK, people play builds like trapsins out of convenience. Cast Summon Shadow Warrior, activate Cloak of Shadows, drop Lightning Sentry/Death Sentry, run around a bit, repeat. You could probably watch a Netflix video and not die/miss a lot of dialogue while doing that. In multiplayer you basically just drop Death Sentries.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2016
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.