1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Can I kill the level cap?

Discussion in 'Neverwinter Nights (Classic)' started by Hemogobbler, Jul 6, 2002.

1. Hemogobbler Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] This thread has degenerated a bit, and gone considerably off topic. Some of the comments I made in reference to the single player scenario supplied with the game were taken as though I were talking about the game engine. I was not aware at first that some of the things which annoy me were decisions made by the scenario's creators.
    I am now thinking about writing a module of my own instead of just bitching online.

Getting back on topic:

I still hate the level cap, and haven't given up on hacking it to death. I guess I'll start with obvious things like searching for the xp table in the executable with a hex editor.

Does anyone have suggestions on how to hack this pig? Is there a way to decompile the source code?

2. Pyro Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Let me guess, you dont know what your talking about when you say hack do you? I have yet to meet a single person who would refer to using a hex editor anything close to being cracking/hacking. And since you have to ask if there is a way to decompile the code, would you really be able to use it?

3. Fingol se'Lineriol Gems: 1/31

about the level cap thing......i played on the "HardCore D&D Rules" difficulty setting, the second highest setting, and i was LVL 20 even before i got to Luskan...pretty sad if u ask me....anyhow...i've heard that when u defeat the last boss he gives an amulet that requires LVL 24 to use.....that alone screams "Sequel/Expansion" which would take off or raise the LVL cap......here's hoping it comes out soon....

4. Hemogobbler Gems: 1/31

Pyro: I have met with some success by hex editing parts of other games. To answer your second question, yes, I think I could. Also, I was asking for constructive advice, not random abuse by bitter people. If you have anything useful to contribute I would be happy to hear it.

5. Wildfire Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

I think this section of the End User License Agreement that you agreed to upon playing the game is of particular relevance here:

Take careful note of the bit about decompiling...

[This message has been edited by Wildfire (edited July 13, 2002).]

6. Hemogobbler Gems: 1/31

[​IMG] Thanks for the heads up wildfire, But none of the games I've modified have ever left my computer. If I do figure out a way to beat this I guess I won't be able to post it.

Seems strange though since level cap removers were created and distributed for Baldurs Gate and Arcanum, as far as I know there wasn't any legal action taken. Do you know of any cases where that sort of agreement was actually enforced?

7. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    No. Nobody cares if you make it, especially with a game like NWN which will basically get reassembled and put back together a billion times by a million people before it dies. If you make a cap remover, send it to SP and I'll host it.

8. Invoker Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

The level 20 cap annoys me to some extent since if you multiclass a pure spellcaster (even for a few levels), then you've pretty much given a lot of high level spells which you can not gain through adventuring. Other than that, I'm good with it. For reasons stated above, I think almost everyone saw this level 20 cap coming :)

9. Waezlur Gems: 1/31

Ok, this has probably already been said, but since the primary motivation for the level cap is said to be that there were no rules available (for higher-than-20lvl-characters) at the time NWN was being made, why did they have to make a cap for the total number of levels? Why not allow a lvl 20/20/20 fighter/sorcerer/cleric or whatnot? I guess the answer can be found in the players handbook (which I haven't got yet)-but I think a triple classed character approaching level 20 in all his classes is insanely powerful, and should be handled by the specific rules for epic-level characters. Think about it; a character with level 20 in threeclasses is more or less a god. He is certainly more powerful than Elminster, the Simbul, Blackstaff or any such character from the books.
    There you go, I answered my own question!
    Anyone got the epic-level handbook and knows what the rules say?

10. Syrel Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

[​IMG] Actuelly i think that even a triple class char with all levels 20 made from 3rd addition still couldn't take Elminster since Elminster was created in 2nd addition and is much higher then lev 20 :)
    Although i've seen several different places listing his level anywhere from lev 26 to lev 40+ so i'm not sure what level is real but he is far more powerfull then anyone at lev 20 at anyrate :) although if you go and get a nice 1st addition super char then you can do some serious dmg :D

11. Waezlur Gems: 1/31

:yot:
    If I remember correctly from my dusty old 1st edition of Forgotten Realms, Elminster's level is 26. The Simbul has higher level (30 I think) but is portrayed as runner-up after Elminster as the most powerful wizard in the Realms. Dunno how that figures, but Elminster is several centuries old and has quite a few tricks up his sleeve.
    I still think a level 20/20/20 multi-class character is a monster - the level total is 60! What about a cleric/wizard/sorcerer? 3 sets of the highest level spells.
    Yuch!

12. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    The rules are for character levels up to twenty, not class levels.

13. Mr Writer Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

[​IMG] Im Lost whats the diffrence?

14. Wildfire Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

Character level is the total level of your character, i.e. if you had a Ranger (12) Rogue (2), his character level would be 14, whereas his class levels are 12 and 2.

15. Zorac Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Elminster for example is a Ftr1/Rog2/Clr3/Wiz20/Acm5/Epic4 which means a character level of 35.
    Similar for the Symbul Sor20/Acm2/Wiz10 which makes her a 32 level character.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.