1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Buying healing from temples

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Blog, Apr 22, 2005.

1. Blog Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Cure Light Wounds:
    50 gold for 8 HP

Cure Serious Wounds:
    150 gold for 17 HP

Cure Critical Wounds:
    200 gold for 27 HP

Heal:
    750 gold for all HP

The middle two spells are simply not worth it! Either buy cure light wounds or heal, depending on how many HP you need to recover.

750/50 = 15. Can buy 15 cure light wounds before having to pay more than a heal spell.
    15*8 = 120. Can cure up to 120 HP before having to pay more than a heal spell.

So if you need to recover under 120 HP, buy all cure light wounds. If over 120 HP, buy the heal spell.

2. Jechor Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Makes sense, but really, given the obscene amount of gold you get in the game, and if you sell weapons and armor you have no use for, and even making all the specy weapons and selling the completed ones. You really don't have to worry about spending gold at the temples or how much it costs, IMHO. Then again I tend not to ever use temples, unless somehow my cleric gets level drained, or I have get caught out heading back to the city, and I get hit at night by a vamp, and get level drained and haven't got lesser restorations memorised.

I just think temples really are there I guess for soloing with no cleric or druid spells, or you have a character die really early and have no way of resurrecting them.

3. Shrikant

Shrikant Swords! Not words! Veteran

Once you get the Ring of Regeneration, healing aint much of a problem anyway.
    otoh how many NPCs get to 120HP? A Human warrior with 18Con and maxHP/level gets 126HP at L9. Heal also is pretty much useless when you look at it that way.

4. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    I agree with your math there, although I admit that I have never done the calculation. Like some others have mention, I can't remember the last time I went to a temple for the purpose of getting healed. I always check the "rest until healed" option, so every time I rest to memorize spells everyone is fully healed. Also, I usually have a few spell slots for my cleric memorized as some type of healing spell for after battle healing. I sometimes buy scrolls of resoration at temples (in case my cleric gets drained and can't cast the spell from memory), or go there for some quest-related purpose, but never for the purpose of healing, as an inn costs as little as 1 gp.

5. Chickavalier Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

and how about ring of Gaxx? it regenarates 1hit/3sec. how wonderful.

6. Jechor Gems: 4/31

From memory there's like 2 rings of regen, an ioun stone of regen, and the ring of gaxx with an ac bonus. That's 5 regen items, though IMHO, you still do need your cleric to have some healing spells in case of emergencies.

7. Deuce Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

@Jechor,

I beleive that's 4 items (unless you're expoliting to get 2 rings of Gaxx). I'd blame it on the Holy Grail if I were you ;) .

8. Jechor Gems: 4/31

Okay I can't count at 2-3 am in the morning ;)

9. Blog Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

I had to go revive someone and it just caught my eye.

But yes, I agree that given the regenerative items, spells, potions and loads of money, this isn't really important. Thought you might like to know anyhow.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.