1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Buying at E-Bay

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by ToTaL, Jan 29, 2003.

1. ToTaL Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Hi!

I want to buy over e-bay for the fist time and i don't have any experience in buying over Internet. My question is, how can you be sure that what you bought over e-bay is what you want? Specifically i want to buy original Diablo II Expansion LoD (cough, cough ;) ). And I'm worried that those offers for 2-3$ aren't originals. Is there any refund if I'm not satisfied? Ok, 2-3$ i can afford to loose but that price will probably go up. 10-15$ is what they want the most.
    Also, do i have to pay something to e-bay?

2nd option wold be to buy at chips&bits, i know that would be the safest, but it would be the most expensive, so help me to save my money :)

Thanks!

2. Intentioner of the Damned Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

I've bought off ebay before. I don't think anyone would be foolish enough to sell pirate copies over such a large auction site such as ebay.

You pay nothing to ebay. Just to the seller. But remember, unless it says that postage and packaging is free, you have to pay the p&p stated AS WELL AS your winning bid.

I think there might be some kind of returns policy for if you aren't getting what you thought you would, but i think that only applies for extreme circumstances. But i've never needed it.

Try looking at the profile of the person you want to bid from. That user is rated by people who have bought from them in the past and it gives you an idea of how reliable the person is.

Hope this is of some use. Perhaps anyone else can add some more.

3. Elios Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

I've bought several things on ebay. one was an autographed picture of the original Enterprise autographed by the cast. I've also bought artwork done by my wife's deceased father and movie memorabilia of her great uncle and grandfather. Everything I have bought has been exactly what is was said to be. I have a friend who buys a lot of old toys and jewelry. He's never had a problem. In fact, on one occassion he purchased a spider broach with diamonds and other semi preciaous stones for around $1400, when he had it appraised it turned out to be worth about $120,000! The person selling obviously didn't know. Though I suspect that's rare.
    A lot of items have a reserve, meaning it has to go for at least a certain price. For example, say a ring is being auctioned on ebay. The seller sets a reserve of $500. If the final bid is say $350, the seller has the right now to sell that item. Its pretty obvious when an item has a reserve.
    You don't have to pay anything to ebay. All you have to do is open an account with them. Its pretty easy and you don't even have to supply a credit card since a lot of sellers will let you pay with a check or money order if you want. I've seen a lot of sellers who do a lot of selling on there offer a satisfaction garauntee or something like that.
    Keep in mind that ebay considers a winning bid as a contract. Your account is rated by people who sell to you. If you bid and then don't pay on a lot of items, they can give you poor ratings and then I think some sellers won't even accept your bids in that case.
    Not sure on whether the software is original or not. I'd assume it is since I don't think ebay supports illegal practices. It could be that the seller has a software store or something and is trying to unload overstock?
    (I was typing as Intentioner was posting :D )

[ January 29, 2003, 09:55: Message edited by: Elios ]

4. teekc Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

:whoa: Your wife must be some person. Could i ahhh... know who is she? and her father, great uncle and grandfather, of course.

[ January 30, 2003, 23:16: Message edited by: teekc ]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.