1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Bush's Ultimatum: War Begins on 3/19/03?

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Mathetais, Mar 18, 2003.

1. Darkwolf Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

Yago,

I very rarely agree with Ragusa, but in this case I think that you are putting words in Ragusa's mouth. I have not seen Ragusa in any manner support Saddam, bin Laden, or terrorism. Ragusa does not agree with the US attacking Iraq for various reasons, but he/she (again, sorry I do not know if Ragusa is male or female) has not supported what the terrorists have done either.

2. Mathetais Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

I checked ... he's a boy ;)

3. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    Check the photoalbum ;)

4. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] Yago,
    in case that helps you understanding my post, I was very sarcastic about some hardliners in the US, the type who thinks that Oliver North is a pant wetting commie.

5. Iago Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

lol. oops. sorry. :(

You got me there. You're impression of a communist (i.e. everybody who's not in the ku-klux-klan) eating hardcore right-wing fanatic just .... ahm .... persuaded me.

Hm, I think this is making me not longer qualified to watch monty phyton and black adder anymore. :(

sorry

(ps. lol, dann bisch ano än dütschä. :cool: . das isch ächt peinlich für mich :(

ha jetze ächt dänkt du sägsch so än chriegswilde ami.

[ March 26, 2003, 22:23: Message edited by: Yago ]

6. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

I saw on CNN (so it MUST be true :p ) that the Republican Guard is coming out of Baghdad and heading south to engage the U.S.. The Americans will not have the benefit of such good air support because of the sandstorm, but I have serious doubts about the ability of the RG to last very long against the Marines. But they could surprise us . . .

7. Mathetais Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

We all know he is bad ... but it still shocks me!

[ March 27, 2003, 16:35: Message edited by: Mathetais ]

8. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    What did you expect? They are fighting an enemy which is more powerful than them in every aspect. If they are to have any hope of winning they can't play by the rules.

As for that "I've never seen anything like this. It's disgusting." comment... Well, the general that uttered that must have some delusional idea that there actually are rules in war that everyone will respect.

9. BOC

BOC Let the wild run free Veteran

Why do you think that this is strange? It is something that had happened in all wars in history. In WW2, for example, there were N.K.V.D. officers in all the soviet units, who had the right to shoot the soldiers who flee from battle. Also, I think that according to the rules of war, an officer has the right to kill a soldier, who flees, in order to maintain discipline and prevent other soldiers from doing the same.

10. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    That is not quite correct. The russian actually always had some two fronts. One against the germans and another one some 20km behind to kill fleeing or deserting russians. It is guessed they killed about 100.000+ soldiers over the war.

That's the bloody part of russia's glorious fighting and the courageous and almost stupidly stubborn fighting of the russians - they had no choice.

11. Iago Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Every military is allowed by its state law to kill its own soldiers if they flee.

The Romans called it "decimation". In cases were roman Legionaries fled the battlefield they were decimated, i.e. every tenth of them was executed.

Decimation is since then part of european style of warfare. The french, germans, british, russian and american armies all know this rule and all practiced it in the past. That's how they got their troops into the trenches of WW1. Everybody fights, no one runs.

It's war, those things happen in wars.

[ March 28, 2003, 14:24: Message edited by: Yago ]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.