1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Bush Wants to Destroy Checks and Balances

Discussion in 'Alley of Lingering Sighs' started by Aldeth the Foppish Idiot, Feb 2, 2006.

1. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    The short answer is because I don't trust Bush. He has long since used up all my trust. For a more detailed answer, I will once again agree with you that a line item veto would be a great way to reduce pork. That is one example of a responsible way to use a line item veto. However, it's not like that line item veto would only be allowed to be applied to appropriation bills.

I can think of examples of compromises made in the House and Senate that have nothing to do with spending (at least not directly). Look at the deal that was made regarding Supreme Court Justices just this past year. The Dems agreed not to fillibuster if the Neo-Cons didn't pick any really far to the right. OK, maybe that's not the best example because it's not a bill, but there will be issues in the next 3 years that we will likely see compromises on. For example, ANWR, increasing fuel efficiency, and the Patriot Act spring immediately to mind.

To think the line item veto could not be misused (and I still fail to see why anyone could possibly think that Bush wouldn't use it as a whipping stick) is being openly dishonest.

True, it was available for his use for about two years - from about the middle of 1996 through the middle of 1998. This power was given to him by Congress which, at the time, was controlled by Republicans. Obviously, the Republicans felt that they could trust Clinton not to abuse it. On the other hand, that was in the midst of the dotcom boom, and you didn't need to be a genius to have a profitable economy at the time. A chimp could probably perform the task OK. Now with all the tax cuts and the war in Iraq, a line item veto sounds like a great way to reduce pork. If I could only convince myself that that would be the main use of it, I'd be OK with it. But unfortunately, I can't.

2. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    Oh, dear. I actually managed to find acceptable middle ground with another poster in an online political debate? I do believe that's the first time that's happened.

I think I'm disappointed with myself.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.