1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Bush Calls for Gay Marriage Ban

Discussion in 'Alley of Lingering Sighs' started by Clixby, Jun 4, 2006.

1. Bassil Warbone Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

In my case, my reaction to statements such as the one made by Yulaw9640 and others like it is not because I am so vehemently opposed to Homosexuality, but rather having my beliefs and my country berated in such an insuting manner. Most of the extremism on the anti gay marriage side comes about because they dismissed out of hand as bigots and hate mongers. I have gay friends and they understand how I feel. My best friend has been in a committed gay relationship for 15 years.I have tremendous respect for thier commitment to and love for each other and I think thier relationship deserves respect and recognition. But on the other hand I consider Homosexuality a grave sin and thier relationship sinful but no more sinful than my fornications other sexual behavior. I do not parade my sexuality in front of them and the accord me the same respect. we respect each others lives. I have put my life and fortune on the line for them many times, if that is being bigoted hate monger then so be it.

2. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    Don't forget the corrolary to Murphy's law, which states: If you try to make everyone happy, no one will like it.

Isn't that the truth. From what I can see, it appears that the change in perspective occurs with the baby boomer generation. People older than the baby boomers are generally against any type of recognition for gay couples and people the baby boomers age and younger are generally much more accepting.

One of the main reasons that this vocal minority (speaking of the over 60 crowd) views are still the official law of the land is because the over 60s crowd are the most likely voters. Therefore, their election numbers are far greater than their actual numbers. It's a fairly linear relationship when you look at the graphs - the older you are the more likely you are to vote. That's also why it's so hard to make changes to Social Security - again, you don't want to piss off the people most likely to vote in the next election.

The point of all this is I think that gay marriage is going to be viewed in a generation's time the same way that inter-racial marriages were viewed as recently as a generation ago. Every year that passes there are more voters that are the baby boomers age or younger, and fewer that are older than the baby boomers. I don't know when the critical point will be reached, but I'm inclined to be believe soon rather than later. I'd say less than 10 years.

3. Daie d'Malkin

Daie d'Malkin Shoulda gone to Specsavers

Prize for most sensible thing goes to.....

Probably because my religion is the State Religion.

I'm in favour of gay partnerships, I just cannot call them a marriage because my church doesn't. They're a marriage in all but name, so why bother with the name at all.

Final point is that I'm not really in favour of marriage at all, homo or heterosexual, because I don't see the point. If I know I love someone, I don;t need a service to proclaim it. But then again, I'm young- I'm sure I'll change my mind when I find that special someone willing to cook and clean for me :D

4. Drew

Drew Arrogant, contemptible, and obnoxious Adored Veteran

Media:
    Really? Well, we don't have a state religion in the US. Many would, however, argue that Christianity is our state religion. Whatever. Even if Christianity in general were our state religion, it wouldn't mean that gays shouldn't Marry.....since there is now at least one Christian denomination (that I know of.....there could be more) in the US that performs them.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.