1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Burglars

Discussion in 'Sorcerous Sundries' started by Shell, Nov 18, 2004.

1. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I'm not sure but over here, I think "reasonable force" means anything, including killing him, if he's still on your property. A friend of mine once told me that his uncle shot a fleeing burglar that had taken a stab at him (pun not intended :p ) with a knife. His uncle had to drag/carry the corpse from the sidewalk back into the yard :D Forensic science in this country needs a lot of work...

@JSBB

ah-ha! That's what usually happens in spy novels ;) They were probably looking for microfilm or something like that :p

2. Carcaroth

Carcaroth I call on the priests, saints and dancin' girls ★ SPS Account Holder

@ Shell,

That's slightly debatable and can be contested in court. The DDA (Dangerous Dogs Act) only applies if it can be proved that the dog is dangerous. With some good animal psychologists if a dog is for all intents a purposes a lovely animal but was provoked by the burgler there shouldn't be a case to answer. However It can really hinder the dog owners case if they actually have warning signs up such as "Warning: German Shepherd" as it then looks like the owner is aware that the dog is dangerous.

3. Morgoroth

Morgoroth Just because I happen to have tentacles, it doesn'

Well I'm happy that your way is not the common way or the law around here then. ;)

4. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    It's outrageous that burglars sue their victims or could have been victims for damages if they manage to hurt themselves during the burglary. It's their bloody own risk if they choose to break into someone's house instead of honest work.

It reminds me of that LAN situation where I wrote a trojan and left it in a poorly protected (four letter password starting with "d") shared directory for hacker wannabie kids. It pretended to be a zip archive (wet.jpg, wild.jpg etc etc :good: ). The only thing it did was deleting a couple of files to deliver major annoyance to any Windows user (win.ini, system.ini, system.dat and something fourth), but they told stories about broken hardware certificates from service points. :rolleyes: They even threatened to sue me. :lol:

5. Hugo Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Chev, right on, *grin*
    IMO, whenever someone comes on *MY* premises, uninvited, without being able to disprove malicious intent (so, burglars and similar scum), excessive force is warranted, scumbags should get a job, and if you do it for the thrill, well, thrills are best when the danger is real eh?
    We've been burgled once, when I was still a very little kid. If I ever catch one in the act, I'll have a knife to his throat and make him call the cops himself.
    Scum
    :borg:

6. Lantus Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

I'm not sure where, but as far as i know in some countries it's legal to shoot an intruder as long as you've already warned them! that's what i call living! :)

7. Son of Bhaal Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

There was a guy who broke into an old ladies home by climbing up the conservatory to the upstairs, problem was, he never made it to the upstairs window and fell right through the glass and broke his arm on the way down...OUCH! He then took out a court case against the woman for having an "unsafe" structure, milked her for about £10,000 compensation and got away with the attempted breaking and entering!! CRAZY!!

8. JSBB Gems: 31/31

As an update, a few minutes after I left my house on Saturday I received a call from my new alarm company saying that someone had set off my new alarm. I quickly returned home and sure enough found signs that someone had tried to break in. The shoe prints on my A/C unit looked the same as last time but the little bugger split without even getting in. I imagine the addition of the alarm gave him/her a bit of a shock.

Given the timing I know it has to have been one of the kids who were out playing on my street who must have decided to break in when he/she saw me leave. I am willing to bet that the little rat was trying to show off to his/her friends after telling them about how he/she broke in the first time.

9. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Can't the police track him down considering you have a shoeprint?

10. JSBB Gems: 31/31

The police really can't be bothered given that (a) nothing was actually stolen and (b) the criminal is obviously a minor and thus pretty well guaranteed to get at most a slap on the wrist as punishment if a case could actually be proven in court.

Heck, the first time around I actually had a near complete handprint on my window and the police still couldn't be bothered after I told them nothing was taken.

11. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
  12. Jaguar Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

Veteran

They should at least arrest him and make hime think twice about it. You know, the old juevie scare.

Damn gentle RCMP.

13. San Ti Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

well last year i was studying in brighton (still doing so) and i had a aprtment rented with some friends from greece.well one night we had a party and at around 4pm everyone was drunk someone came in and looted the whole place while we were all in the house.thing is that some people saw him and they said to me that he said that he was the guy from the electric company who had to check some things...

14. Dark Slayer Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

I go to an apartment almost every weekdays to do some stuff. Lots of the people who live there lose their belongings. One time my buddy (who lives there) got smashed in the face and got his cell phone stolen. Burglars even rob food from fridges and empties a whole house stealing almost EVERYTHING! The burglars in my country are pretty damn quick AND smart!

Hell, if a burglar tries to rob MY house, I'll just throw one of my razor-sharp Yu-Gi-Oh! TCG cards at him and he's history!

(I'm serious! I threw a card at a burglar who was in my hotel room's corridors when I was abroad and he was bleeding like hell. He couldn't stand the pain so he couldn't get his knife out of his pocket and he ran with all the other people's belongings (which was very few) and jumped out of the window! SPLAT!!!!)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.