1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Building Drizzt

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Nrsandback, Jun 2, 2014.

1. Keneth Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    Except NwN's implementation of 3rd ed rules was just as flawed in many cases. I quite liked the IWD2's incomplete system, really. I was never a fan of 2nd ed rules, and it was a welcome change.

2. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    My recollection was that once 3.0 came out, the software companies that licensed through the D&D name were no longer permitted to roll out new 2e games. They could support existing games with 2e materials but were contractually bound to make all new games using the new rules (or an unreasonable facsimile thereof).

3. Keneth Gems: 29/31

Media:
    Yeh, TSR/Wizards have always been pretty anal about their licenses. Although, at the time BG2 and ToB came out, 3rd ed. was already released and has influenced several design decisions.

4. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    I was unaware of that, I thought it was just "The new 3E is out, everyone is going to the latest and greatest, we need to make this game use the new rules or nobody will buy it because 2E is 'so last season'".

That does somewhat explain why Ubisoft would order those changes to the game to make it semi-3E and yet so poorly implemented. I still can't fathom why they didn't allow the players to select skills and feats when the game's own manual implies it should be possible and only has an easily missed footnote that says the game selects them automatically.

Sorry, I didn't meant to hijack the thread.

5. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Anybody else want to venture if and how they built a Drizzt-clone character for a BG2 playthrough? :p

6. damedog Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Resourceful Veteran

A bit more on topic, I heard on the internets that if you play as an elf named drizzt and have a low reputation he will attack you when you meet him for sullying his good name. since im far too lazy to actually try this, does anyone know if it is true?

7. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31

Media:
    I don't know for sure as I've never tried it, but I checked the dialog files.
    If you look in C6DRIZZ1 with Infinity Explorer, it should trigger that very thing if you meet certain conditions:
    Code:
    OR(2)
    CharName("Drizzt",Player1)
    CharName("Drizzt Do'Urden",Player1)
    Race(Player1,ELF)
    ReputationLT(Player1,12)

8. Keneth Gems: 29/31

Media:
    Then you kill him and your reputation drops even more, even though you were only defending yourself. Infinity logic.

9. henkie

henkie Hammertime Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    But is the script enabled normally in the game? I wonder if there's accompanying dialogue to go with this specific script.

10. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31

Media:
    That was from the dialog file in C6DRIZZ1 in Infinity Explorer. The dialog tree goes
    Then this script is executed
    Code:
    Shout(89)
    Enemy()
    CreateCreatureObjectEffect("C6GUEN","SPANISUM",Myself)

Look it up yourself with Infinity Explorer. It's available here on SP and quite easy to use.
    Just install Infinity Explorer, select the Baldur's Gate II directory, and open the "Dialogs" tree. Find D6DRIZZ1 (hint, try typing D6D quickly once in the dialogs tree and it should take you right there) and look for yourself.

Finding appropriate dialogs can be tricky, but if you look at the CRE files for the character (and using Shadowkeeper is often the easiest way to locate a specific creature by name) one of the fields in Infinity Explorer will show you it's associated dialog files.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.