1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Browser Wars

Discussion in 'Techno-Magic' started by Gnarfflinger, Mar 21, 2008.

1. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    See...now that's where I differ. I *never* use any of all that add-on crap. On IE, I've changed the default search option to Google, and that's the only "add-on" I ever use. At work, the computers have the Google toolbar, Yahoo toolbar, and some other toolbar that take up about an inch of screen real-estate. I *hate* toolbars!!! :nono: Aslo...I'm not the biggest fan of Tabs either...I always forget which page is on what tab under what window... Call me old school, but I'd rather have 20 seperate windows open with a taskbar that's 4 levels high than use tabs. :rolling:

2. Erod Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Veteran

You are wrong :-), the usage is somewhat similiar though.

3. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

My Firefox has never crashed. What sort of unstable system do you have to run to make Firefox crash?

But I'm with Kitrax on toolbars. They are as bad as signatures on web forums for being a waste of valuable screen space.

4. Disciple of The Watch

Disciple of The Watch Preparing The Coming of The New Order Veteran

I found Debian to be one of the worst unstable systems ever.

Nowadays, until I can patch my loose ends with BSD, I use Slackware and Opera. Crashes? Never heard about that.

5. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    :eek:
    I have to say, I have no idea what you have done to the poor thing. I've had a Debian install for over 2 and a half years now and never had any kind of problem. The only crashes I ever experienced were with a phylogenetics software I use, which is notoriously buggy (the user manual happily says "don't push this button or it will crash the program"). Nothing else was ever affected by these crashes, and the OS itself is the cleanest I've ever used.

Unless by "Debian" you mean "Ubuntu" (or derivative), at which point you really were asking for trouble :D

Toolbars are annoying, hence why I don't use them. The only one I've got is a small Google one which fits nicely next to the address bar, and so doesn't take any extra space. Yahoo's toolbar has got to be one of the most annoying - not to mention that for some reason it slows down page rendering on my browsers (it did this in both FF and IE)

6. Disciple of The Watch

Ubuntu? You've got to be kidding me. No, I was REALLY using Debian, Etch 4.0 to be precise - the DVD version.

I couldn't tell you why, but I never had so many problems in my entire life. Sometimes, Debian litteraly refused my internet connection, and regardless of how much tweaking, it just wouldn't work, and sometimes needed two or three reboots to FINALLY work.

X would also crash for no appearant reason. Or sometimes, while browsing the web, Debian would return to the login screen, just like that.

Then there was "Iceweasel" who would crash on me every like 5 minutes, and don't get me started on "Icedove" who would try to fetch my mails (when there was unread mail), then tell me there are no new messages on the server.

Debian has been a bunch of :rolleyes: :skeptic: :mad: and :confused: moments.

Besides, as soon as I can get FreeBSD to play nice with my crappy PPPoE connection, I'm switching camps and kissing Linux goodbye.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2008
  7. The Magister Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    Ok time for my say.

I use Firefox and it has never (NEVER) crashed on me. I've been using it for about 2 years. I started using it when IE crashed every 15 min (don't ask why. Microsoft piece of junk). I have never tried out Opera and can not comment.
    I hear that IE finally got tabs. It took them how many years?

8. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    FreeBSD is still a UNIX derivative, so you've not exactly "switched camp", just moved to a different tent in the same camp :)

9. Shaitan

Shaitan Always forgive your enemies; it annoys them so

I'm a Firefox too. Though my bank requires IE :(

10. Misery Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

not that it makes much difference since everyone has their own opinions about their browser of choice, but I agree with DotW on pretty much every count

my only gripes with Opera are with m2 being in need of an update, and the lack of a firebug-like set of dev tools, although the upcoming dragonfly project might do something to address this, but info is too sketchy at the moment to say so for sure

as far as IE 7 goes - if you really must continue to use it, consider trying www.ie7pro.com - a very nice little set or productivity enhancements that'll make your experience a little more pleasant :)

11. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    Goodbye, it was nice knowing you Ziad :mommy: :p

Linux and Unix are actually different camps, they both adhere to the POSIX and other standards so that applications on one system can be executed on the other, but Linux's source code is rewritten and does not contain any UNIX code.

12. Disciple of The Watch

Morgy, in FreeBSD you need to install a TBZ package to enable Linux binary compability - Linux apps natively will not run on BSD.

Linux/BSD are also sharply divided in the community.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2008
  13. Stu Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Nah, speed dial is way more awesome than that - Opera really created something great with it. Try the speed dial extension for firefox for a week and you'll see what the fuss is about.

Opera is definitely the best browser out of the box, but with a 1/2 a dozen extensions, an ultra-minimalist theme and a bit of tweaking I can ultimately get firefox to be something I feel more comfortable with.
    Some (very) minor gripes with Opera:
    - I cant get the tabs bar to sit *below* the address bar.
    -there's always a 1 pixel boarder on the left of screen
    -I cant find a cricket score widget that sits in the browsers status bar and doesnt create an entry into the windows taskbar
    -I cant find an integrated embedded-media-downloader (like download helper for firefox).

14. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    Can someone please explain why Speed Dial is better than just putting your favourite websites on a the bookmark bar. It just seems like an extra step to something I do already.

15. Disciple of The Watch

Easy. Everytime you open a new tab in Opera, you'll see all the websites you chose in speed dial, then it's one click and you're there.

16. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    Sounds like bookmarks to me....does it save a copy of the website in question on your hard drive for quicker loading or something? IIRC, that's how the old dial-up "speed accelerators” used to work. :rolling:

17. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Adored Veteran

Media:
    So, is anyone playing with the new version of Firefox? I've been considering leaving IE, but I'm still skittish to give up something that works well for me.

18. Stu Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Yep, using it atm - I'm very much missing the TabMixPlus extension though (it's incompatable :( )

edit: found a compatible version!!!! :D

19. Disciple of The Watch

I just upgraded to Opera 9.51. I'm digging it, especially the tweaked UI which looks sweeter than ever.

20. martaug Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

no opinion just an observation. i was linking to a government site & it popped up & told me i may not be able to access the site since i am using mozilla. This was funny as i have never used mozilla just IE. Had me going WT????

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.