1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Browser Wars

Discussion in 'Techno-Magic' started by Gnarfflinger, Mar 21, 2008.

1. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:

Finally, a voice of reason in this thread. And from Snook, no less! :p

2. Trellheim Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Media:
    Well, I have to admit. IE is a pretty good engine, I can't even imagine Baldur's Gate in a different WAITAMINUTE you're talking about Microsoft Internet Explorer! :mad:

Release your anger DotW! Strike him down with all of your hatred! (unfortunately as we all know your journey towards the dark side is already complete, but I hope we can combine forces on this one) :tie:

3. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    IE7 is a decent browser. I prefer Firefox most of the time, but for some uses IE is still better, so I use both interchangeably. If you do use IE, you really should be using 7+ only though.

4. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    A new chapter. Firefox 3 beta. Check the boasting for yourself, but beware it is still beta and not final.

5. Erod Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Veteran

Yay, browser wars! So silly and yet so funny...

Anyway, I have used Opera for many years now and will continue to do so. Why? It has everything that I need out of the box, with Firefox I would have to install several extensions. Why bother when they are all included in Opera? More importantly, Opera Software takes every security vulnerability seriously, no matter how significant or insignificant it may be.

6. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    You're all a bunch of weirdos.

I've used IE and MSN Explorer (which is based on IE) ever since I've first used a computer. Sure, it's not always looked pretty...but it works for me, and that's all I ask. If I had to choose a browser while installing Windows, then perhaps my choice would be different...but considering IE is ingrained in to Windows, I'm fine using it...and I'm not about to waste my time downloading and installing another browser that does the same thing IE does. :rolling:

7. Mesmero

Mesmero How'd an old elf get the blues?

Hehe, you've listed just enough reasons why I should never switch to Opera. I hate it when they put to many things into one package. Everything might work decently enough, but I still prefer several smaller programs, which perform only one task.

I use Firefox myself. When I switched to Firefox about 4-5 years ago, it had some features which I thought were cool, which IE didn't have. By now I've been so used to the way Firefox looks and feels that I'll probably never switch back, even though there probably isn't that much difference between them (but I do have the feeling that Firefox is a little bit faster than IE).

8. Cap'n CJ

Cap'n CJ Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    DotW, what's actually wrong with Firefox?
    And "IT'S F***ING S**T" doesn't count as an answer.

9. Disciple of The Watch

Disciple of The Watch Preparing The Coming of The New Order Veteran

Well, does "I ****ING HATE IT" suit you?

It burns me up that everybody flocks to the almighty Firefox :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: when Opera is a superior browser.

Oh, yeah, I forgot... Opera is different and doesen't include "Firefox functionality".

I'm done arguing on the topic. Keep using your crappy Firefox if you want and I'll stick with Opera.

I still hate Firefox, though.

10. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    I know how ya feel Disciple. I always feel the need to club people who like the programming language Python. Lisp and Javascript are so much better. ;)

11. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    To be honest, the Safari browser is better than the whole lot :p. 'The worlds fastest browser', apparently.

12. Cap'n CJ

Cap'n CJ Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    So, Disciple still doesn't give any actual reasons.

Could it be he doesn't have any? ;)

13. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I always amused by how burnt up he gets about what other people do that does not affect him in the slightest. It should make no difference to him what browser everyone else uses.

The Great Snook likes this.
  14. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    He might own shares of Opera.

15. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    I can see how that would get one to be worked up over something. I used to loathe Apple products with a passion...but ever since my company started making microchips for Apple, I encourage everyone to go out and buy every product Apple makes in hopes that my company stock goes up! :p :grin:

But back on the subject of browsers...If Google ever makes their own fully functioning browser with full integration with most of Google's apps, I think that just might be the browser that makes me drop MSN/IE for good. But until then, I'm satisfied using a program made by the dreaded, loathsome, evil, etc, etc, etc, Microsoft. :rolleyes: :rolling:

16. Arcless Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Veteran

I've no argument with any of the browsers, :p

At the moment I've both Firefox and MSIE open doing different things. I only run Me (don't laugh please) so am unable to run IE7. Therefore Firefox gives me a tab facility and as such is my normal preference. IE does some things I cannot get FF to do - view YouTube etc video's.

17. Disciple of The Watch

Disciple of The Watch Preparing The Coming of The New Order Veteran

Argh, dammit, Splunge, that was supposed to be a SECRET!

You want reasons why I hate Firefox? Fine. First, it's obscenely unstable. Crashing every 10 minutes or so is inacceptable. Second, there's no support for Torrent downloads, IRC and mail, meaning using a third-party program to handle this stuff independently while Opera handles ALL of that natively. Third, anyone who think Firefox is a secure browser is one big idiot. Opera's development team take security VERY seriously, no matter how small or big the problem is. Fourth, Opera's speed dial. Not essential, but definitively a nice perk. Fifth, Opera's minimalist user interface allows for maximal web page display. Sixth, the new versions of FF are getting more and more bloated, while Opera remains MUCH more lightweight, and when running Slack on an old P3 600 with 128 RAM, you need all the lightness you can get.

There. Satisfied? Now that you've got your concrete reasons, stop rattling my f***** cage - I said I'm done with this topic.

18. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Well, I'm not sure why anyone would use IE - the add-ons for Firefox are enough of an argument to jump ship, IMO. IE seems to be missing a lot of functionality that other browsers have.

Firefox vs Opera though - I think I'd need a far more compelling argument then '**** FIREFOX IT'S ****ING ****!!!111' before changing...

19. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I am with Kitrax here! Go go Internet Explorer! I dont know if it is ****, I dont know if it is good. I know I have it and that when I tried to install Firefox it installed allright but despite trying for an hour I could not export my bookmarks from IE to Firefox so I stuck with IE. It works, why change?

20. Cap'n CJ

Cap'n CJ Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    I like how he complained Firefox didn't have IRC, Torrents, etc., then he said it was too bloated with features :p

Also, my Firefox never crashes, dunno about anyone else though.

Edit: I've just checked up on this Speed Dial thing on Opera. Correct me if i'm wrong, but that's what everyone else calls bookmarks?

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.