1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Browser Wars

Discussion in 'Techno-Magic' started by Gnarfflinger, Mar 21, 2008.

1. Gnarfflinger

Gnarfflinger Wiseguy in Training

Firefox has frozen up on me for the first time in a few days. At least I still have IE to finish my stuff tonight...

2. Disciple of The Watch

Disciple of The Watch Preparing The Coming of The New Order Veteran

:bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang:

Firefox is a big POS!

3. Trellheim Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Media:
    What's with the Firefox hating? I'm not even going to think about arguing with DotW about anything related to electricity, but Firefox is like *the* ultimate browser. It performs all the required stuff and nothing else.
    IE, like we all know, is a piece of poop and they'd make that yuppie Opera feel cosier if it was attached to a spaceship.

4. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    I like Firefox. I use it with about seven add-ons and it performs flawless. The only complaint I have is that at times it hangs up when loading embedded PDF files (which I attribute not to Firefox but to the web pages in question). But that would be about it.

5. Disciple of The Watch

Firefox, the ultimate browser? For the love of Satan, give me a motherf****** break! Firefox is like Ubuntu - break free from M$, but go with the rest of the sheep. Safety in numbers, you see.

I used this big piece of stinking trash called Firefox for half an hour and I hated it so bad I removed it, never to be seen again.

I have been using Opera for so long I remember the era when it was not freeware. Opera has ALWAYS been a rock-solid browser which has NEVER let me down. Firefox might be the big deal in your book, but in mine, it's just a crappy browser - and a stupid trend.

6. Ofelix

Ofelix The world changes, we do not, what irony!

Media:
    So if I understand you corectly, you hate firefox solely because it's popular? If, somehow, Opera becomes "the thing" would you also hate it ?

7. Disciple of The Watch

I hate ****fox because it's garbage, popular garbage - just like the iTrash. Firefox ****ing sucks.

I've been using Opera for nearly 8 years, and it has grown in popularity ever since, so if your theory was correct, I would have stopped using Opera because of it's popularity a long time ago, and this isn't the case. If Opera becomes the next big thing, good, it's a quality browser who deserves it's place under the sun. I've used Opera for many years, and I will not stop using it if it ever becomes mainstream - I'm an Opera fan through and through.

And because of ****fox's cult sheep following, Opera will ALWAYS be overshadowed, and you know what? That's a good thing.

8. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Just because something's popular doesn't mean that it's garbage. I couldn't stand using Opera for more than half an hour because of its odd browser behaviour, lack of some standard IE/Firefox features and because 1 in 10 websites wouldn't render in it properly. Still, I wouldn't call it garbage since I know it has its hard-core fans. But to me, it's the last browser I'd want to use.

Opera's popularity has actually only slightly declined in the last 5 years. It still has a market share of less than 1.5%.

Anyway, this needs its own thread, so I'll make one.

9. Disciple of The Watch

Haha, yeah... excellent initiative, Tal.

And even if Firefox was still an underground browser, I would STILL call it garbage, because that's what it is!

Opera works flawlessly as browser, and as an added bonus, it handles email, torrents, IRC, and has a built-in download manager, which eliminates the need for an email client, a torrent client, and a download manager.

I even use Opera on my freaking phone because it stomps the built-in browser to death.

Bottom line, I'm done arguing on the topic. I've said my piece on the subject, and in case it wasn't loud or clear enough, I'll reiterate it: F Firefox.

10. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    Such aggression over an internet browser!

Firefox is easy to use and very secure. It's extremely customisable (is that a word?) and has a big modding community. Lots of people use it because it's got a reputation for being good. IE has tried to nick it's better features in it's latest versions but it's still rubbish.

Firefox is a good browser. I've tried Opera, but didn't like it because it didn't have functionality that I use in Firefox... either that or I couldn't work it out. Either way, I wasn't willing to put too much effort in when Firefox does what I want it to perfectly, and I can make it look how I want it to.

It's all about what you're used to. However, one thing isn't rubbish just because you're used to something else and prefer that.

11. Trellheim Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Media:
    Might just be the fact that I'm and idiot, but except for the torrents, doesn't Firefox do all of those things? :confused:
    Anyway, I like to use μTorrent for torrents, but that's my personal perversion.

12. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Someone's got their cranky pants on today...

13. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    I like firefox for a number of things.
    First of all, firebug. If you develop websites without it, you're insane.
    Second, the keywords, why should I follow 15 different links for a simple search or even type in the full URL of a link when I can just use a single word to get me to where I want to go.
    Third, minimum use of the mouse. I hate that thing and it makes my wrists hurt, now, if only they implemented emacs-like keyboard handling(with M-x for meta-commands and perhaps Lisp evaluation :D) and then I would be happy.

14. Stu Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

I tried Opera after DotW mentioned it in another thread, and I must say I was quite impressed - functions such as speed dial, the minimalist interface (which really maximized screen real estate), the status bar (which gave you information on page loading times and disappeared when not needed) and the RSS integration were really, really, really good. Voice activated commands were also cool for a bit, but didn't quite work for me :(.

I think I ended changing back to firefox simply because there were a whole lot of extensions that I really wanted and I was able to get many of operas features onto firefox using other extensions. I've now got a smaller UI on my copy of firefox than what opera does (through auto hide status bar and the miniFox theme), a more functional version speed dial and I've started using an RSS reader (Sage). I never really liked the idea of using the browser to manage large downloads and torrents in the 1st place, so this detail doesn't really bother me.

At the end of the day I think Opera comes out of the box as a very usable and feature rich browser and it generally takes a lot of time tweaking to get Firefox up to a similar level of functionality.

I'm just wondering is there a portable version of Opera and is there a way to un-close tabs?

15. Disciple of The Watch

Absolutely, you can download Opera through a mobile phone's browser then save it - this is what I've done on my SCP3100, and 6275i.

A heads up, though -- if you plan on using Opera on a CDMA phone, it might not work at all, because operators seem to like blocking third party applications.

IIRC, there is also a Symbian/Winblows Mobile port, but this version is not free.

16. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

This is Disciple's standard line on anything. If it's popular or made by the biggest company, then it is automatically evil. This applies to operating systems, MP3 players, musicians, and browsers.

Like my iPod and my Windows XP, my Firefox does everything I ask of it, at the right price, therefore I am satisfied.

17. Disciple of The Watch

And nagging on my neck is typical Harbs! I'm not beating THAT horse with you one more time - we've been through the topic TIME and TIME AGAIN.

18. Mollusken Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

I've been using Mozilla and later Firefox for about six years. I remember I tried Opera as well back then, but I ended up thinking Mozilla was better (can't remember why). Nowadays I believe that the huge amount of good extensions made for Firefox makes it better, but you'll have to be able to find and install the extensions you want though.

The only thing that bothers me is that I should be using Opera just because it's Norwegian :p.

19. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    "And in the left corner weighing....

20. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Adored Veteran

Media:
    I'll weigh in from the "right" corner :D

I think this entire issue is silly. But then again, I use IE since I don't see any reason to use a different browser. It works just fine for what I need it to do.

Long live Gates and Microsoft.

Splunge likes this.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.