1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Breaking News - Bush Commutes Libby Prison Sentence

Discussion in 'Alley of Lingering Sighs' started by Taluntain, Jul 3, 2007.

1. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

Certainly some of the knee jerk reactions that come out of these arguments are not to be taken too seriously but nevertheless the issue is one that I think is very serious. And it's not localized, either.

Here in Canada, Chretien (the Prime Minister for a good chunk of the 90s and early 00s) was as crooked as a dog's hind leg. He just got the Order of Canada. The previous Premier of my province was similarly in bed with business interests and did nothing but screw the populace, and he got away scot free. It's not right, I tell you!

2. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    I agree completely that the issue itself is very serious and that it is worthy of discussion. But what the dialogue itself becomes is another matter. I don't blame the politicians for the way things are, as much as I do the failure of many sides of the partisan lines to articulate the issues and then to begin to seriously inact some sort of change.

Instead we have people such as Ann Coulter calling John Edwards a "faggot." That's the typical level of political discourse we have at this point. The politicians are not going to change until people demand it.

In this instance we are attempting to discuss Bush's pardon of Libby. Rather than isolate the particular action and its consquences, the debate becomes something different. For sure, other references can be brought into the larger dialogue, but those points should elavate the discussion. Yet, instead it becomes a "liberal" vs "conservative" issue and "my side is right" and "your side is wrong." Thusly, nothing is accomplished except that the partisan lines become much more hardened and entrenched.

But I apologize to you, LDK, for not taking your point as seriously as I should have. It was not my intention to be offensive; you were only hearing the cynic in me after years of pointless political discourse, which basically seems to go nowhere.

I was listening to an interesting exchange among the talking heads on TV, attempting to figure out what could "unite" the Republican Party in 2008. One of them commented "Hillary Clinton." Isn't that sorry? What does it say for a political party to stand on its hatered of one idividual for it to make something of itself? It was not based on principle, not to do good for the folks back home, not a set of issues, not even ideology, only its irrational contempt for "Hillary." So yes, it is what it is. And thanks, for letting me rant a bit... :yot:

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.