1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Breaking News - Bush Commutes Libby Prison Sentence

Discussion in 'Alley of Lingering Sighs' started by Taluntain, Jul 3, 2007.

1. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    I'm not one who usually agrees with TGS, but I do in this case. In fact, I think he meant exactly what was stated later:

And that's what I really have a problem with. Scooter indeed lied under oath, but he was "following orders" so to speak. I'm sure that prior to the trial he was given assurances that regardless of what happened, he would be taken care of. I also agree Ragusa's assertion that this action paves the way for him to get a full pardon after the November 2008 elections. By commuting the prison sentence, it means that there will be no major impact on Scooter's life between now and then. Also, once he receives a full pardon - and I'm all but certain that will happen - he even gets back the quarter million bucks he paid.

2. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    No doubt, Bush really got Cheney off the hook with this one. And it's not surprising that it came only a few hours after it appeared likely that Libby was headed to the slammer. Much like the mafia boss, Cheney was the "big fish" that got away. Too bad.

3. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    Now isn't that a nice compensation, or a subtle way to bribe? And a cheap one for that: Ask compassionate and well meaning conservatives to donate for a loyal perjurer. Brilliant. They have finally managed to outsource bribery.

[ July 03, 2007, 17:48: Message edited by: Ragusa ]

4. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    I don't get it - how is that bribery? Libby pays a fine, and then gets the money back. Unless you are insinuating someone else is gonig to give him the money to pay the fine, and then when the money is returned he gets to keep it.

5. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

I'm about as conservative as one can get, so it's not common for me to come down on Bush like this, but this case is disgusting. Bush ought to be ashamed of himself for such blatant abuse of power and authority. I always thought that Ford should have been impeached for pardoning Nixon. Regular people fry on a regular basis, while the rich coast along with pathetic little slaps on the wrist. It really ticks me off

6. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    Mitt Romney chimmed in with his take on Bush and Libby:

That's quite an amazing statement for a guy who wants to be the next prez. And consider this also:

It's very strange how the Republican candidates almost always appear as pretzels, with very convluted logic, once they try to square what they really believe with their adamant defence of everything that Bush does. Perhaps Romney doesn't want to be prez - he's really just pretending....

7. Ragusa

Media:
    Aldeth,
    it is subtle bribery, or call it subtle blackmail on Libby's part, in the sense that Libby gets a pardon and does not write a tell-all book, or starts to suddenly testify. It has to be understood in that light that Libby's defense team started out quite aggressive, talking aloud about calling Cheney as a witness and the like, and all of a sudden shut up about it. Apparently the message got through and that was no longer neccesary because there was an alternative to that: Like a presidential pardon, after a commution?

In return Libby doesn't rat on anyone, loyally takes the fall, stays friends with his friends. One part of the bribe is the commution, and later the likely pardon. Libby gets away with perjury. That is quite unusual. In conservative America you don't get pardons. As a rule, you go to jail, just like death penalties are executed.

After a pardon Libby doesn't have to pay his fine. He also won't have to pay himself for his layers. The money comes from a legal defense fund, from friends for friends. Cute. And then after the pardon (because an acquittal is unlikely), Libby, after a waiting period, rejoins the merry family after a wellpaid, discrete stint at some (I'm creative) .... conservative lawfirm, JINSA, or the AEI? Because it is all private enterprise it isn't anybody's business if what he does justifies his salary. Libby will have soft landing.

8. khaavern Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

You also have to wonder what signal this pardon send to all those administration officials testifing before Congress on all sorts of matters (like the illegal wiretappings, the DOJ mess, etc.)

Basically, it seems to say "cover my back, and I'll make sure that you are taken care of"

9. martaug Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

cernak, scooter libby wasn't the one who outed her.
    it was richard armitage who told the reporter who she was and where she worked

libby was convicted of lying to investigators NOT of outing valerie plame

10. The Shaman Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Actually, does anyone know what is the punishment if you disclose the identity of a covert agent?

11. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
  12. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31

Adored Veteran

Media:
    To quote from Tal's link

Anybody who is outraged, upset, or surprised by this is naive. Pardoning people on your way out for favors is standing operating procedure. For some reason people seem to think that it is far worse because Bush is doing it. People have very short memories when it fits their political agenda.

13. Ragusa

Media:
    Simple question: Does that make it right for Libby?

'The others did it before me' is a piss poor excuse.

One hardly believes it, but Bush with this managed even to, gasp, forfeit support of the Washington Times.
    Good points.

14. jaded empath Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Veteran

Dangit, Snook - you beat me to the punch with that one!

I read this thinking "Yeah, but 'Bill the Shill' did just the same thing for his brother-in-law, didn't he?" (and I liked Clinton), and then I get down to here and find you've stolen my fire. :)

Aye, I find it unfair to summarily gainsay the Judicial branch of the government with commuting a sentence, and even though I'd be hard pressed to think of any head of state with this ability never using it to repay favours, that doesn't mean it's right...

(i.e. Clinton shouldn't have done it, Ford shouldn't have done it, etc. etc. right back through history; and Junior shouldn't do it, either. 'Should' and 'Shoudn't' do not carry much weight in the Way of the World™, however. :nolike: )

15. Ragusa

Media:
    Besides, the Clinton pardons didn't benefit folks who were doing his bidding in the administration. Clinton did pardon his brother-in-law, but did not cover up his administration's actions through a pardon.

Commuting and pardoning Libby is like Nixon commuting or pardoning the Watergate burglars. Jacob Hornerger on this:
    Because that would not have been sufficient an incentive for Libby to keep quiet and would have made cooperation with Fitzgerald preferrable? And there you have the reason for the harsh sentence. Libby needed inspiration.

16. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31

Adored Veteran

Media:
    In answer to Ragusa, no it doesn't make it right and it isn't a good excuse at all. However, the moral outrage outpouring from the liberal left is more than a little nauseating considering it was to be expected.

You have to admit, you would have been more surprised if it didn't happen than the fact that it did.

17. Ragusa

Media:
    What, the outrage, or the pardon?

18. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    The fact that our standards have been lowered to the point where we expect our President to ignore the rule of law makes me rather sad. That the present idiot is following in a long line of footsteps that did similar things does not fill me with joy.

If Libby's license to practice law is revoked (which would normally be a likely result from a felony conviction like this) then there might be some small element of punishment here, but if he is pardoned as expected then that might not even happen.

It's really a travesty, especially given how much the Republicans were trumpeting the perjury tune when trying to sack Clinton.

19. jaded empath Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Veteran

Maybe now the righty cons understand how the lefty libs felt during the last administration and its 'perjury witch hunt'?

Turnabout is fair play... :rolleyes:

20. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    Clearly, you weren't arguing in good faith after all.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.