1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Boy These Quests Can Be....

Discussion in 'Pool of Radiance: Ruins of Myth Drannor' started by ToddMcF2002, Jan 4, 2006.

1. ToddMcF2002 Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

... Hard to solve! So the Wizard's Torc is "in the dungeons". LOL. That's helpful! I can't get by the Water Glyphs yet and I know I need the Word. I've already defeated the Cultists behind the Dragon Glyph - and I read a walkthrough that says there is a portal there? How did I miss that?

If you miss something in this game you can be pretty screwed - it will take DAYS literally to stumble on the thing you missed because you can travel everywhere and its so huge. Oh well. I feel defeated when I resort to a walkthrough but hey - I've accomplished quite alot in this game on my own so I don't feel too bad.

Still love the game. Now where is that portal.... Anyone know??? Water Glyph....

2. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    There is another room protected by the claw glyph near Nottle's cell. You'll find the portal there.

There are three water glyphs spread between the deep halls and halls of stone -- hopefully, you made notes of them on your map.

3. ToddMcF2002 Gems: 6/31

When I was playing it last year I marked things pretty liberally - but if you forget to do it and its important your in trouble. So.... I'm in trouble ;)

BTW - another point about this game:

I think POR2 has to be the most underrated game ever made. When you read reviews/comments you can tell most of them only played a few dungeon levels and then wrote the review. POR2 heats up quite a bit plot wise after you reach the surface through the House of Gem's tower. Thats at LEAST 30 hours into the game!

Yes Temple of Elemental Evil has better artwork and combat system / feat system. But... POR2 has alot more content and the surface art is just as good as TOEE. I do miss the flanking, ready vs. approach, colored combat pathing etc. But overall POR2 is very capable.

The one place I'll agree with the reviewers - the undead move agonizingly slow. Didnt they run in TOEE? ;)

4. Thrasher91604

Thrasher91604 For those who know ...

I too am enjoying it! About the slow undead, finally in the second cellar I had enough and downloaded the speed utility. What a HUGE difference it makes in this game's playability! Not only are the battles MUCH faster (no taking a cig break waiting for a zillion zombies to shuffle into position), but the long distances to travel are now a breeze. The sped up animations are a bit funny though.

My biggest gripe is the slowups and crashes on windows 2000. A couple of large undead battles slowed and froze. Running in win 98 compatibiliy mode at least kept it from freezing completely.

Also the NPC thief Tudo never appeared with Nottle in the first cellar, so that was a strange bug I hope doesn't kill the game.

I too love the hugeness, and thought ToEE was a bit small in comparison although the quests and NPC interactions were more interesting, and I liked the crafting and combat system better.

5. ToddMcF2002 Gems: 6/31

Yeah Tudo.... Lots of good info on that missing thief eh?

"Hey I've got some news for ya! I had a visitor named Tudo and I he's a thief and I didnt like his looks. I bet he'd like to adventure in Myth Drannor!"

Gotta love those dialog trees. How about something USEFUL about him like where he is??? LOL.

I've had no crashes on XP.

6. Thrasher91604

I know where he "supposed " to be, but nobody was home... Hmmm.... Well I already have a multi-classed thief anyway....

This game isn't so bad. In fact it's the only game I know of where you can develop 2 characters from 1st through a total of 32 character levels each without expansions using DnD rules (sort of). What a deal!

7. maalri Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Yes, the hugeness of POR was grand- wish ToEE was a little more like that--but they have modded it so you can get up to 20 total levels over there now, and have a decent expansion out now and an entire module coming out soon! Maybe someone should combine those two games!! LOL, now where's my Wish Scroll...

8. ToddMcF2002 Gems: 6/31

So where is Tudo then? Not even sure where he is supposed to be...

I know search the guide!

9. Thrasher91604

According to the Prima guide and the gamebanshee walkthrough at http://www.gamebanshee.com/poolofradianceromd/walkthrough.php he is "supposed" to be in the first cellar of the elven catacombs, but no dice for me ....

I have an idea on what broke this scripted encounter. You move into view of an NPC. You're not close enough to trigger the script / dialog. You back up (because after all shouldn't you be cautious and prepare some buffing spells, etc?) or maybe you were looking in the other direction and didn't see the NPC (can easily happen with the speed utility at max). You move back to where the NPC first appeared on the screen and he's vanished and you've permanently lost the scripted encounter. I've seen this happen with Omyrrs in Sullymarsh, so maybe that's what happened with Tudo. It's a bug in the game engine.

Yeah, but it's still fun, especially for the price of $10 including manual and Prima book on Ebay!

Thrasher

10. ToddMcF2002 Gems: 6/31

So I decided to remap the dungeons last night and I'm glad I did. Now I've got the Wizard's Torc and the Word of Water without using the walkthough. :cool:

I'm good to go! Still lovin this game. Time open up all those Glyph sealed doors!!!!

11. Thrasher91604

Congrats! Yes there is lots of stuff you need to keep track of and then come back to later progress through the levels.

While the flags on the maps can help a lot, there is no way to look at any particular map (you need to be in the dungeons to see the dungeons map and in an outside area to see an outside area map). Makes it nearly impossibe to keep track of all the things you need to follow up on without taking separate notes or do what you did and re-visit areas to refresh your memory or look at their maps.

Problem with the latter approach is that doors that were opened by keys may become locked if you leave an area and then return, so if you don't get it right the first time you may not be able to do it! :eek: I've had to replay whole segments because of this bug.

I'd rather use the walkthroughs as notes to remember what to finish before leaving areas, rather than replaying huge segments. Replaying because of game bugs is not fun.

Thrasher

12. ToddMcF2002 Gems: 6/31

Yeah now I have a list of needed keys and what levels they are on - so I don't have to sit there and read every little flag.

I had no idea the game would get this complicated - but its very rewarding when you accomplish a quest. I guess I got used to Temple of Elemental Evil where I needed very few notes comparitively.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.