1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Books you didn't like or couldn't finish

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by Aldazar, Jan 7, 2004.

1. Apeman Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

Yeah and it was enjoyable too :)

Put one more up my list; Sword of Shannara trilogy, so far a LOTR wannaby and a bad one at that. First time when reading a book that I wished the main character having a very bad and painful accident from which we will never hear from him again.

2. BigStick Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Well, like many, I could not finish the Silmarillion. I've never enjoyed history and that's exactly what this is, a history text. The fact the it's an imaginary history of an imaginary land does nothing to make it more interesting to me.

There was another book that I began reading that was written by a long list of (mostly) famous authors. I couldn't make it past the very first section and ended up giving it away. I can't recall the name just now...maybe I can find it on Amazon...nope. Can't recall it. But it was bad!

3. Uytuun Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Media:
    It's not fantasy, but I really hated One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez.

I tried two times, but I lost interest almost immediately.

4. Dendri Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

A friend of mine gave me Terry Goodkinds first part of the Sword of Truth saga, "Wizards first Rule", as a birthday present. That was, like, 3 years ago and I still havent read it. I just dont get into the story, all my attempts for naught. :( The only use I have for it is dusting off.

5. Oaz Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Jane Eyre. Can't. Finish. Jane. Eyre. The pain. My head hurts.

*slaps Charlotte Bronte*

6. el timtor Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Veteran

OK, number me among those who couldn't get through Foundation and the Silmarillion. But that was in my teenage years, oh, 20+ years ago. I wonder if they would read differently now...

7. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

dude, that's like saying you didn't enjoy reading the bible (for kicks) back then but you "Just might" enjoy it now hehe. (yes, see my previous post, i also despise the silmarillion) Although I wouldn't mind if they did a movie on it, may make it more interesting hehe.

8. Dave the Magic Turtle Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Veteran

Media:
    I didn't finish the Silmarillion, I think its because by the time I finished reading a page I'd fogotten what the first line of the page said! :D

9. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

The Silmarillion was awesome. The book I couldn't finish was Wuthering Heights. What a nightmare.

10. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

i have now added romace of the three kingdoms to this list. there are just too many god damn names and nicknames...

11. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31

Well, the bible analogy works - The Silmarillion is worshipable :p

12. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

ill concede that, along with the fact that it is too formal in its writing, extremely boring and would likely kill you if you tried to finish it in one sitting ;)

13. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Dragonlance "The Dargonesti." After reading it once some years ago, I haven't managed to spark even smallest interest to read it again. It wasn't even a bad book and I still have it, but somehow I just cannot re-open it. :D

14. Demon Mayor Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I could not finish any Greenwood Elminster book I've ever tried to read (I think 3 of them... seemed like 10). I wanted to like these books, but they were godawful.

Also, add Dickens to this. I had to read Great Expecations in high school and wanted to set myself on fire about 6 chapters in. Thank Jebus for Cliff's Notes.

15. Carcaroth

Carcaroth I call on the priests, saints and dancin' girls ★ SPS Account Holder

Really struggled with Stephen Kings The Talisman, good sideline to the Dark Tower series, but there is only so much kiddie torturing and murder I can take it one sitting before I have to read something else.

16. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

I found the 1st book, Elminster: Making of a Mage awesome :eek: if you want awful, go for Elminster in hell :mad:

17. netdiver Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Foucault's Pendulum

It forever turned me off of Umberto Eco too. His writing style reminds me of the onset of diarrhea. Not sure when its going to start, can't say when it's going to finish and certainly painful throughout.

18. Aldazar Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Terry Brooks' "Sword Of Shannara". Only got a couple of chapters in and just couldn't even get remotely interested in it.

19. Yirimyah Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

The Grapes of Wrath. I know it's famous and everything (I did read it once) but it's so depressing and horrible that it is the only novel I own that I haven't read twice, and that's out of >800 books.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.