1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Boo as an NPC Complete With Portraits

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Slappy, Jun 8, 2001.

1. Slappy Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Ok everyone, this is what Minsc and Boo fans have been waiting for. It is now possible to add Boo to your party officially as an NPC in his own right (not just carried by Minsc) complete with portraits. Credit for this goes to the guys who started these posts:
    http://www.sorcerers.net/community/threads/where-to-get-secret-npc-from-bonus-files.4205/
    http://www.sorcerers.net/community/threads/kivan-drizzt-or-boo-in-your-party.3319/

and Graz73 in particular. In fact much of his advice is repeated here. Hopefully in this way, this post is a self-contained guide to accessing Boo rather than having to jump around several posts.

OK so this is what you have to do (it looks more complicated than it is I just want to be thorough).

Step 1:
    Save your current game just in case anything goes wrong. Make sure your game is set up to accept cheat codes and allow access to the command console. Using the advice from Sorcerer's, you do this by entering "the Baldur's Gate II directory and finding the baldur.ini file. (Should be in the main Black Isle folder.) Double click on it, and the .ini file will open in Notepad. Scroll down in the file until you reach the heading Program Options, and underneath, you should find a list of commands with numbers following (i.e., BitsPerPixel=16, Acceleration=0, etc.). Begin a new line anywhere under the Program Options heading, and write the command line: Debug Mode=1. (If this doesn't work in your game, write Cheats=1 under [Game Options] instead.) For more info on cheats, have a look here:
    http://www.sorcerers.net/Games/BG2/cheats.php

Step 2:
    Based on Graz73's advice call up the console by pressing the Ctrl and Space bar keys (a typing area should open at the bottom of the screen). In here type - CLUAConsole:CreateCreature("Boo") This should create Boo on the screen (a small rodent with a circle around him). Move the cursor over him and press the CTRL and 'Q' keys to add him to your party. He's very powerful, and even has his own paper doll. To keep him effective, don't equip any weapons in any slots, and DO NOT LEVEL HIM UP! If you have a full party (5 NPCs plus you) you should use the reform party option to drop one of them and make space for Boo. The only problem at this point is that Boo has no portrait. Save the game and call it something like 'Boo'.

Step 3:
    Download the portraits of Boo that can be found here:
    http://www.purchase0.freeserve.co.uk/

Right click on each picture of Boo and select 'Save as' from the menu. Save the pictures (making sure they are BMP bitmaps) in the Portraits folder in your main Baldurs Gate 2 directory. If you haven't already got a Portraits folder, you will need to create one.

Step 4:
    Download ShadowKeeper and install it. The programme can be found here:
    http://www.sorcerers.net/Games/BG2/index_editors.php

Run Shadowkeeper and load your most recent saved game (the one we saved as 'Boo'). Click on the right arrow underneath the NPC portrait until Boo appears (you'll actually get a black empty silhouette). Click in the space at the top to rename the character Boo. Then click on the button underneath to 'Change Portrait'. A new screen opens with two boxes listing portraits available and two boxes showing previews. For the large portrait on the left select BooL. For the small portrait on the right select BooS. Save the edited game.

Step 5:
    Run Baldurs Gate 2 and open the edited save game. You will now have Boo in the party as an NPC complete with portraits. :) That should keep Minsc happy!

Of course I haven't extensively play tested this so keep regular save games. Also be prepared for some unintended fun. When I was testing it, I got Boo to start a fight to test his abilities. During this an innocent was killed and Minsc started warning me that Boo would not be happy with my behaviour. :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 23, 2017
  2. Dudette Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

does boo have a voice?

3. Slappy Gems: 19/31

Unfortunately it seems not. Maybe if we are lucky, one of the stange hex editing types will tell us how to get him to use the 'squeek' sound that you get when you click on him in Minsc's backback.

PS, after playing around with this last night. I think it adviseable to also adjust the deafult script for Boo. Use the Customise option from the record screen, then select scripts, then choose a defensive script. With this in place Boo will use his awesome speed to take up a tactical position to cover the rear of your party whenever you are attacked. From this position he can provide the other NPCs with astute tactical advice and training tips during battle. Of course being a mighty giant miniature space hampster he could probably win all of the battles himself but he is not seflish and is willing to let you have some of the glory ;)

4. Spudsquisher Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

so what are boo's starting stats?

5. Slappy Gems: 19/31

Ok as requested here are Boo's stats (look away now if you want the surprise):

Level 1 (I don't know if he can level up and it was advised against by Graz73 so save first)

From Shadowkeeper:
    Strength 9 Inteligence 9
    Dexterity 25 Wisdom 9
    Constitution 3 Charisma 9

Hit Points 2 Base AC -1 (plus 6 dex bonus)
    THACO 1 Nos of attacks 4 (although I think he gets 5)

Saving Throws all 1
    Magic Resistance 100%
    ShadowKeeper shows his speed as normal but he is quicker than my Barbarian (a class that recieves a speed bonus) wearing the boots of speed. He also seems able to wear some items but I haven't really experimented much. I intend to have him in my next full run through (but I'll probably play through all of BG1 with a party of Slappies before then).

Looking at that, he could be quite good at dirupting wizards' spellcasting (biting them in unmentionable places) as long as he never gets targetted himself (the risk is too high). Good scout too especially using the defensive (run away) script.

[This message has been edited by Slappy (edited June 08, 2001).]

6. Graz73 Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Cool thread!

I only played with Boo in my party for a little while. It was fun, but I prefered having Kivan myself.

I don't know why you shouldn't level him up, or give him weapons. The text I found told me that. If I had him, I'd level him up just to see what happened...

I experimented with giving him a ioun stone in his head slot and that gave him a few more hit points. I'm not sure how much weight he can carry, but that seemed like a good strategy to me.

He might also be a good character to load with figurines and other weapons that don't "count" as weapons...

Did you notice what class Boo was? I don't think it listed one. He had a short sword proficiency, so maybe he's a fighter?

Tell me how it goes with Boo in the party.

Now will anyone take Drizzt with them? You know he would ROCK as a party member...

7. Avooch Dar Guest

You can get Drizzt and elminster in bg1 on a download from this site.
    Surely it would be quite easy to convert them to bg2?

8. Graz73 Gems: 4/31

Avooch Dar...

That's the point of what I was saying... You can already create a Drizzt party member in BG2 by typing...

CLUAConsole:CreateCreature("Drizzt")
    It also works for Kivan and Boo

9. shadow_thief Guest

tell me...u should program it for BG2 cuz i already beat BG 5 or 6 times...cant remember.

10. Slappy Gems: 19/31

Graz73 glad to see you in here. In case anyone missed it in the introduction it was Graz that posted all of the information in the earlier posts that made this possible. All I really did was make the portriats and put all of the various bits into one thread.

Anyway, to answer your questions, Shadowkeeper doesn't list the sword profeciency but I noticed it was there in the game. It also doesn't list a class or kit (the class is blank). His apperance is described as a 'rat' though. Not very flatering. He is also male and neutral good. His race is greyed out, which 'proves' he is a giant minature space hampster and that Bioware are trying to hush it up. ;)

In the game, there is no class listed and no kit description given (or biography). He has got 2 slots in the small sword profeciency (must be a very small sword :)). He can carry 50lbs and does get encumbered. He seems to be able to wear rings, braclets, armour etc subject to strength and other restriction (he can wear the strenght belts though :)) For some reason he can't wear a ring on his left paw (is that the one he holds on to Minsc with I wonder). He also seems to be able to take a range of weapons and use all his weapon and quick slots (4 weapon slots suggests he is a fighter, which is what Minsc is always saying).

The bad news is that he doesn't seem to have any experience points listed anywhere. Maybe that is why the piece you read said not to level him up. With no expereince showing, maybe he gets none and so can't increase in levels (seems likely for what is meant as a non party character). Still, perhaps this means more expereince for the rest of the party.

[This message has been edited by Slappy (edited June 09, 2001).]

11. Graz73 Gems: 4/31

Slappy, I'm glad you like the extra NPCs too. It's so cool that they're in here, but many people don't seem to know about them or care or something...

Anyway, do this experiment...

Check someone else's experience number. then have the group kill something. Read how much experience the kill gives you. then check that same character's experience again and figure out if he got 1/5 or 1/6 of the points. If Boo really doesn't take the points for himself, that's so cool! If he does take the points, find out what happens when you level him up! Does he really level up and get more hit points, or does it crash the game??!

Were you able to get him a few more hit points with certain items? I also wonder if he has some sort of "invisible" ring that occupys that slot you couldn't fill... Maybe that's why he's magic resistant, or so fast?

12. Tyresian Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

I got boo before and i remember him having experience points. The reason you can't level him up is because he isn't a playable class. I tried leveling him up and when i did my game crashed. The same happens with several other NPCs that you can ctrl+q on.(including beholders and the like)

13. Memosarks Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

They aintant the only BG1 characters you can get, nor the only animals with paperdolls...

I've been doing some looking around with the infinity explorer, and I found a rather cool companion for Boo. It's called a Vorpal Squirrel and is very similar to Boo except a different alignment and more HP. Cool hey?

I also found that there are codes to get about five or six BG1 characters -

*Coran
    *Alora - The halfling thief whom is very happy for some reason (I can't remember her old soundset so I don't know if she really says this stuff.... if she did, it would be really weird too)
    *Branwen (You can get her from the Tute, but you can also get the original petrified one that you need a scroll or spell to free, that made me laugh...)
    *Xan from the tute
    *Kivan at levels 2, 4 or 6

AND

With one code, you can get Edwin, with his old portrait and sound set, but for some reason, different colours. But, he is suped up with cool items, level 18, all spells memorised and a couple of spell slots for level 9. Cool hey?

Can't remember the codes off the top of my head, but I think the original characters were blah blah CreateCreature(E30)
    with the codes somewhere between 30-39 or something. I'm sure experimenting will get it (Or you could get IE)

Anyways, bye-bye.

14. Graz73 Gems: 4/31

Sounds cool memosarks. I'll give it a try.

I'd like to see a complete list of possible hidden party members...

15. Extremist Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

[​IMG] Dear Graz and others, there are no HIDDEN party members. You can take any creature that exist in the game in the party. And more of them that don't appear in BG2 anywhere.

For creature list you don't need to sweat, just use Infinity Engine Explorer and scroll thru section Creatures.

Of course, this party issue is available if you cheat only.

[This message has been edited by Extremist (edited June 09, 2001).]

16. Graz73 Gems: 4/31

I didn't know that you could ctrl + q just about any character in the game. Though that's sorta interesting, I can see why you consider that cheating. Most characters are definately not intended to be party members.

A few are different though, Kivan and Alora for instance have portraits and say things just like any other party member... If I take some other random character into my party, most will lack the portraits and speaches that an intended NPC would have.

I know you're bored with this subject, Extremist, but now that I've played the game with all of the normal NPCs, I want to see what else is in there. If I want to talk about them ,just don't read my posts!

17. Extremist Gems: 31/31

[​IMG] /me summons Lokken

18. Lokken Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Veteran

[​IMG] Graz73, PLEASE! shut up about Kivan allready, now I read that name in your posts for I can't remember how many. And I do read your posts, for you might have something usefull to say (to me that is) but can't you just post a link to your previous posts about those BLOODY NPC's!
    Creating whatever it might be that is not currently available in BG2 must be considered cheating, no matter how big or small a cheat it is. No matter if it's an innocent cheat, it's still a cheat. And no, I frankly dont give a damn if you cheat or not, just stop pestering the boards with it, we got the point! A link will do fine.

Thank you!

phew, I actually thought I would lose myself there.

19. Graz73 Gems: 4/31

So let me get this straight...

Extremist and Lokken are the same guy?

20. Extremist Gems: 31/31

[​IMG] *giggle*
    *giggle*
    *giggle*
    *evil grin*
    MUWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

No.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.