1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

BoM Arcade Tournaments Now Open!

Discussion in 'Sorcerous Sundries' started by Taluntain, Jul 20, 2008.

1. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I hit restart in the beginning a few times on every attempt and it made no difference. Since you've got the ability to restart within this game, I guess it's impossible to have a fair tournament since everyone can just restart until they get a better score. I only restart so I get a board that remotely looks finishable, not later on.

2. kmonster Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Veteran

Couldn't you retry as often as you wanted in the gold miner tournament too ?

3. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    I don't know, I never tried to do it. I think there should be a standing rule in tournaments that there are no retries, you get what you get and that's it.

4. Fly2tHeSkY

Fly2tHeSkY Southern Comfort Veteran

I feel like entering a tournament but I don't wanna create one... :o

5. kmonster Gems: 24/31

Veteran

I just created a pacman tournament. Since this game doesn't allow to reset or to retry endlessly and an attempt takes only about 10 minutes it will be fast and fun.

6. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    I joined that.

BTW, how do you make a try take 10 minutes? I have trouble staying alive for half that time. :p :o

7. kmonster Gems: 24/31

Veteran

Just wait 9 minutes before clicking "start game". So you only have to survive for 1 minute. :D

The "press direction key shortly and pacman will take this direction at the next corner" controls are a little bit unusual but once you get used to them you'll consider them far superior for this game compared to standard "only move while direction key is pressed" controls.
    It takes a little time to get used to them, but you should get the hold of it after a few games.

I usually wait at the energy pills until a ghost gets very close and always try to eat all 4 of them for many bonus points. Use the energy pills wisely, if all of them are used and the screen is still filled with normal pills to eat, you're in serious trouble. I usually try to eat the pills on the bottom at the beginning, since you can get trapped quite easily there later.

8. Fly2tHeSkY

THANK GOD kmonster is on the other side of the table in this tourney :D

9. Fly2tHeSkY

Still waiting for TWO more people in the Pac-Man tourney guys...

10. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    Hey, you've a 50% chance of running into me in the first round, and I suck at Pac-Man. :D

11. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] I suggest creating 4-player tournaments instead of 8-player, since it takes too long to get 8 players in most cases.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.