1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Bob Salvatore's favorite word...

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by Mystra's Chosen, Mar 19, 2004.

1. Apeman Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

You know which words he also uses A LOT:

a, and, the, in :p

Who cares what words he uses the most, spelly got it right a few posts back, they are very good 'page turners'

2. Vermillion Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

[​IMG] I thought most of his books were good with the exception of Spine of the World where the parts about Wulfgar were drawn out and long winded and sent me to sleep.
    The point about the Companions of the Hall becoming boring rings true to me as I find Jaraxle and Entreri much more interesting. Mind you Jaraxle always has been n more interesting than Drizzt since he was introduced in the Dark Elf Trilogy.

3. Jack Funk Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Maybe he feels "elation" when he "stoically" "waggles" his Drizzt. :D

4. Nizidramanii'yt Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Veteran

Spellbound is right. I tend to stick to FR and from what I've heard Salvatore's books are better in general then others. I've read quite a few 'Drizzit' novels and I'm still reading them, since they're so good. Ok, I must admit that they're the first fantasy novels I've read...ever, except for LotR:RotK & Sword of Shannara, which I both found much less enthralling then Bob's books.

I don't give a damn whether he wins each fight or not. If you don't like the favorable odds, then try another book. Not everyone likes LotR you know. Same goes for RA Salvatore.

EDIT: on topic: maybe 'lavender'

5. Jesper898 Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

:lol:

I love his Drizzt books (saving up for his "Cleric Quintet" series, too) they're by far the best books I've ever read, even better than LOTR :D

6. Elendrile Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Can't say I agree with you Jesper on the LOTR opinion, but Salvatore did bring me back into reading fantasy again. I've only read the Icewindale and Dark Elf trilogies though. IWD was decent but about a quarter of a way through the first book of Dark Elf, reading at my usual sluggish pace, I just went "DAMN, this is good!", and finished up the series in a couple of days.

7. iLLusioN' Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

I didn't really like the LOTR, I don't know why. Salvatore is one of my favorite authors by far. I have liked all the books in his Drizzt series except for spine of the world.....parts of it were good, but he spent far too much time with the girl(don't remember the name) imo.

8. Fiatil Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

I really like Salvatore's books, I think I actually preferred The Cleric Quintet to the Drizzt books though, at least he is writing about Cadderly and Co. in his other books.

9. Foradasthar Gems: 21/31

Well consider that Salvatore must write 10 books a year at least. That figure could be way off the mark but if it is, it's lower than reality. Anyway, with an average of month spent per book, how deep can it be? Not that one should do that much work in a business like that anyway. Any good book requires an enormous amount of time to think on, collect the necessary background info on, and to actually write it and make a finished version of it.

The Dark Elf Trilogy remains undoubtedly the best trilogy I've read. The rest are what they are because they guy doesn't give himself time to focus more on them. Clearly he has talent though.

Compared to any of the several Dragonlance novels I've read, or Ed Greenwood's novels, or LoTR for example, Salvatore is clearly the best in bringing out emotions in the reader. His books might not be as informative and cultural and historical as many others, but as a form of fantasy literature entertainment, they're the best there is.

Surely even I'm tired of Drizzt by now, but I can't say I don't enjoy the moment when the "hunter" awakens and goes on a rampage. ;)

I say this though. If Salvatore ever decides to take good time and make a serious book instead, it'll be something worth remembering. No-one can get into the same wavelength with me as this guy does. The imagined visuals and battlesounds, or dramatic scenes I get from reading his work is awesome compared to the rather low level of immersion I feel with other books.

10. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    He has tried to write serious fantasy on his own, outside of any pre-set setting. The Demonwars saga and its sequel. The first few books were really good then it turned bad, real bad.

11. Foradasthar Gems: 21/31

Hmm. So much for that theory then. :)

Well can't say since I haven't read them. Could be that the Dark Elf Trilogy was just dumb luck. Hard to say. Whatever the case, Salvatore's works really fluctuate.

Anyway, as someone said he doesn't ever even kill off his characters, I'd like to point out something about that. The only problem I see there is that he continues making stories with the same characters all the time. This is smart when the characters have a big fanbase, obviously. Still, there's nothing wrong with making several different stories with different characters that almost never die. Although I haven't read Eddings one bit, I've heard quite a lot about him and he seems to be making excellent profit with this idea... As I understand it his novels aren't that sad or serious.

Still, it could be worse. The cheap deaths the Dragonlance characters go through are, in my opinion, completely ridiculous. Of course it's a nice, different way of telling a story of a world where heroes come and go. But I more like the style where the story is about some person. Gives better immersion and all.

12. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Actually, there is some character death in the demonwars saga. It is after that it started to go downhill. If you liked the Dark Elf trilogy I would still recommend the first demonwar saga though. It is rather nice and entertaining.

13. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    Bah, its definitely "skitter" since everyone keeps doing that! :p

14. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    I remember seeing "swirling scimitars" quite often too...But then again, how many different ways can you describe a dual wielding drow?

15. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

i think there's jsut waay too much introspection and "5 vs 500" battles. his best by far imo is homeland. the crystal shard is pretty good too, the rest i found kinda mediocre. exile wasnt too bad either.

16. MilanChe Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

@Belisarius

It's Whirling scimitars ;) , he uses that one a LOT.

"Huge barbarian", "600 punds of muscle" (when refering to Guen), "auburn locks", "lavander orbs"...

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.