1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Bloodthirsty solo Gnome (ToB)

Discussion in 'Creativity Surge' started by Namuras, Oct 1, 2001.

1. Namuras Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Yesterday I started a ToB solo quest with a Neutral Evil gnomish fighter/illusionist, mainly to see how far he could get without dying. His name is... Darth Gnomer.:D

I'm using the Darth Vader soundset and pictures.

His stats are:

Str: 18/88 -Beware! Thy kneecaps are mine!
    Dex: 16 -Ain't too bad.
    Con: 8 -Don't touch me! I'm fragile.
    Int: 19 -I can outsmart the gods themselves!
    Wis: 8 -Eh? You knock before you enter?
    Cha: 5 -Methinks this is why none will join me. *sob*

I didn't reroll, just changed the scores a little. For example, str started at 6 and dex at 11. Lets just say that I didn't want it that way.;)

His proficiencies are:
    *** Two weapon style
    ** Shortsword
    ** Dagger
    * Longsword

I believe he started with 41hp, but quickly summoned a Dust Mephit(I love the evil familiars!) and got 24 additional hp. He started with the spells the computer chose for him. I will not reload if he dies, since there's nobody around to raise him.

I won't give his story as much detail as for example that of Duharrel (he is missed:sosad:), I'll just write what happens. Also, I'll play this game and another simultaneously, and there's pretty much going on in school, so maybe I'll not update it very often.

Episode one: Saradush

Darth was sent to speak to the gods by Ellesime, the pointy-ear queen. He did so, and liked what he heard about the land in chaos and all.
    Suddenly he noticed that someone was coming, he cast Stoneskin and Mislead, and put on his full plate mail. When Illasera started threatening his illusionary image, he could barely hold back his wicked laughter. When the fight had barely begun before it was over, and Illasera never knew what struck her (two shortswords +2, if someone's interested).
    Darth was now being pulled to Hell once again, and met first a funny-looking creature, and then Sarevok. He agreed to his brother's demands, and had him swear an oath to follow him, but the nasty bugger escaped before he could kill him again. The challenge was easy.
    When he arrived at Saradush, he was immediately attacked by some soldiers, who quickly perished by the mephit's Prismatic Spray. Those who survived was quickly slaughtered.
    Melissan told Darth about Yaga-Shura and Gromnir, and he really liked this Gromnir's style! Should be fun to kill such a man.
    After Melissan had left, he saw a child lose his father, and walked up to it. The child said something of the children of Bhaal eating people, and suddenly Darth was hungry. He quickly gobbled the poor kid.
    As he explored the town, he stumbled upon a group of elves being attacked by Gromnir's men, and sat down to watch the fun. After having sold his stuff in a temple he joined some men in slaughtering some dwarves, and ended up having killed the men too.
    He returned the spellbook to Lazarus, after having seen Hectan explode in a flurry of blood and bone. He bought some scrolls and a golden stone, and headed back to the tavern to kill the elves and dwarves there, get some rest, drink and a pair of new shortswords.
    Next day he and his mephit easily cleared out Gromnir's barracks, again using Prismatic Spray and Mislead. Thinking that this was enough slaughter for today, he headed back to the Tankard Tree to get something to drink.

So, that's the first episode. Tell me what you think.

2. Alyr Arkhon Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Hmm, you will have a tough game I think... And you'll have to forget limited wish and wish with your wisdom. But very interesting. Maybe I will try to beat solo the whole serie with a F/M/T, if I have enough patience and time. One question :how can you have three stars in two weapon style?

[This message has been edited by Alyr Arkhon (edited October 01, 2001).]

3. sorvo Guest

I wondered about that too. My Paladin can get 3 stars in two weaon style also.

4. Tiger Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Fighters classes are allowed to put 3 proficiency points into two weapon style whether they are multiclass or not. This includes Paladins and Rangers.

However, I have noticed that a multiclass Ranger/Cleric can only have 2 proficiency points in two weapon style which I don't understand why.

5. Kailynne Johanne Gems: 10/31

First, thanks for the nod to Duharrel... Second, this sounds like a very interesting, but very bad dude that Duharrel might want to avoid. Even Korgan had a small bit of a good side - he didn't eat kids! 8-)

Looking forward to reading this.

6. Namuras Gems: 13/31

When he was in Suldanessellar, Darth heard from the elves that shortly before his arrival, a big dude named Duharrel had been there trying to save them, but failed. Wimp, he thought.;)

Darth asked around at the tavern a little, and learned that one could possibly enter the castle through the sewers. He didn't like sewers, so he went to the garrison to ask for another way. There, he watched a man getting arrested and became curious, mainly because there seemed to be gold in it. He was given permission (not that he needed any) to investigate the case. He spoke to the jailer, didn't like him and killed him (after he had opened the cell, that is). The fool didn't even resist, Darth was a little disappointed by that. He spoke to Mateo, who told him to go speak to the Countess, and so he did. She told him of the merchant Kiser, and so Darth went on to his home. He confessed quickly, and told our gnome to go kill Errard, the wizard.
    Errard proved to be rather difficult to defeat, mainly because of all the soldiers who were protecting him, so Darth was forced to flee to the Tankard Tree, which was NOT a good move. The soldiers followed, and when they were attacked inside the tavern, all people 'turned red', and tried to flee. Darth could no longer use the tavern. Anyway, he went out again and bashed the wizard, thus reducing his reputation to two.
    He went back to Kiser's home to tell him of the deed, and he received a key to a key to a secret room in Kiser's basement. The cowardly merchant fled quickly when he was attacked, which made Darth really angry, so he rushed down the stairs and slaughtered the guards before they could react. In a closet by the secret door he sound some cool-looking ore, and thought that he might get a good price for it somewhere.
    Ardic was not pleased to hear the story behind his rescue, and went out to tell the captain of it. Darth did not get any reward from the Countess, who just said that he had doomed the city.
    Darth decided that this had to be enough for one day, and searched the town for somewhere to sleep. Eventually he stumbled upon a peasant and a couple of chickens occupying a good place, so he chased away the peasant and slew the chickens. He thought he would have them for breakfast the next day.
    After having rested and eaten, he climbed down into the sewers and was immedately beset by a large group of shades, who cornered him quickly. He was forced to turn into the Slayer to survive, thus reducing his rep to one. The shades fell quickly, as he was hasted and could attack ten times every round.
    This area was a little difficult for him, especially the orc archers and the mages were annoying. Mislead, Improved Haste, Tenser's Transformation, Protection from Magical Weapons, Domination, Potions of Invisibility and resting really works wonder, and these things were the reason Darth survived the sewers.
    He went up to town to purchase some new spells, but discovered that the prices had risen drastically during the few hours he had been gone. Inflation these days. He figured that it might be cheaper for him if he donated some money to the temple, and so he did. The prices were restored to normal almost instantly (his rep was now 5).
    Darth went back into the sewers and on to the castle basement. There were three doors to choose from, and he knocked one of them. Behind it were some mean fighters and a nasty mage. With a Prismatic Spray from the familiar and a Mislead, he easily slaughtered the fighters, but the mage nearly killed him. Ah well, in the end also she fell. Rest. Mislead. Potion of Storm giant strenght. He found some thieves and accidentally cast Improved Haste on one of them. No matter, they didn't see him anyway.
    He walked up some stairs and slew some vampires. He helped the ghost who appeared, and was indeed well rewarded.
    When he noticed that he was at the wrong place, Darth made his way back to the castle basment, opened another door, slew the orcs and orogs, and ascended the stairs to the castle.

I've noticed how effective it can be if you cast Mislead, and then Invisibility on the illusion. This combination is a lifesaver, since nobody will be able to do anything until a mage casts True Sight, or the duration runs out.

I may not have time to update this until Friday, so have patience. Until next time!

7. Big B Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

I can imagine all the soldiers leaving their posts on the wall to follow Darth in a wild goose chase in Saradush :grin: Yeah too bad about the inflation though ;)

8. Kailynne Johanne Gems: 10/31

Namuras - what did Duharrel do to you? Aw, man..... 8-)

9. Namuras Gems: 13/31

What Duharrel did to me? I wonder that as well. ;)

When Darth entered the first level of the castle, he stumbled upon some pretty tough guards. Although he slew them with ease, he thought that a little more caution, and maybe some help, would be in order. He recalled Sarevok's words about a 'fate spirit' in the pocket plane, so he went there and summoned Korgan, who he remembered he liked. However, Korgan didn't like him and refused to join (god speaking: I don't think he'll refuse, no matter how rude you are, but I pretended he did), and Darth doesn't take kindly to a 'no', so soon Korgan was no more than a bloody heap lying on the pocketplane floor. He tried to summon Edwin as well, and the same procedure was repeated. He gave up, and summoned Mazzy (who he teased a little before killing) for lunch before going back to Saradush to purchase some more scrolls.
    He thought that he needed to prepare some spells before facing Gromnir, so he walked over to his favourite resting place. He gave a piece of a chicken to his familiar, slapped it in the head a couple of times, and ate the rest of the chicken himself.
    Next morning Darth wished for a powerful magic item and recieved a full plate +2. He prepared some Contignencies and Spell Triggers, cast improved invisibility on the dust mephit, drank a potion of invisibility and went into the castle to see (read kill) Gromnir.
    Darth witnessed a scene where Melissan was thrown into jail by Gromnir, whom he really began to like. Somehow, even though Darth was invisible, Gromnir and his men sensed his presence. He couldn't be reasoned with, and 'turned red'. "A pity", thought Darth. The two mages immediately started casting some divination spell, and Darth used his Spell Trigger (Mislead, Improved Haste, Invisibility 10'radius). He managed to disrupt one of the mages, but the other succeeded in casting a True Sight, despite being hit several times. This changed the plans, and Darth used a Spell Sequencer (Greater Malison, Emotion, Emotion) before having to turn to the slayer again. A hasted Slayer is NOT good for the opponents' health. Melissan showed up immediately after the battle, told him to go kill Yaga Shura, and disappeared just as quickly again.
    Looting. Darth bit off one of Gromnir's fingers. Yeech. He cast a fireball on the corpse. Much better, but still needs salt. He stuffed the roasted body into one of his bags of holding.
    He sold the loot and bought some new scrolls before going outside Saradush via the pocket plane, where he was attacked by some of Yaga Shura's soldiers. Having exhausted most spells, he became the slayer again, and slaughtered the soldiers. Darth likes being the slayer. His rep was down on one again, and again Darth noticed that the inflation had been really high the past few minutes, when the merchant he had happened to save offered to sell him a scroll for 150000 gold.
    He therefore went back to Saradush and the temple of Waukeen, before sitting down in the grass outside the city amongst the newly killed bodies of soldiers, chewing on one of Mazzy's legs and generally enjoying life...

To be continued...

OK guys, since nobody has posted, I'll have to update through edit.

After having rested and again used his mislead/improved haste trick to slay two more of those giant-thingies and their gang, Darth made his way to the temple in the Forest of Mir. He saw that the place was infested with undead, so he swigged a Potion of Insight and wished to be protected from the undead. He marched boldly up to the ruins, only to be stopped by his foster father. Darth was not pleased with this, and told him to go back to being dead and that he never cared for him anyway. He was almost killed during that dialogue, and even more so during the encounter that followed. He realized that the only way he was going to survive this was to turn to the slayer.
    However, before he could even react, he was down on 9 hp and was forced to flee. He returned several hours later when he had rested and recovered, but the shadows were too fast. Before he could do anything, they had drained several levels and sucked every last piece of his soul away from his body.
    Needless to say, Faerun sighed with relief at his demise, as the nastiest bugger ever to walk the world now was gone...

Here ends the story of Darth Gnomer the Slightly Foolish Cannibal Gnome. None shall miss him.

I suspect that it was best this way, as the story hardly would become very much better. There's no opportunity to be evil to Melissan, and you don't really have the choice to be evil in more ways than Darth already was (though I certainly looked forward to imprisoning those Helmite fools on Watcher's Keep). Just killing off people and pretend that you eat them gets boring in the long run.

And since nobody posted, I assume that people was already bored. ;)

[This message has been edited by Namuras (edited October 08, 2001).]

10. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    You are probably right. But damn i started to like the fella. I thought i was pretty evil on my first run through ToB but you topped me. But i think there are more oppurtunises to be evil in ToB than in SoA.

11. Namuras Gems: 13/31

I think that the difference between being evil in SoA and being evil in ToB is that in SoA it affects the game more. If you have low enough reputation, guards will spawn and make your life miserable, whereas in ToB the only thing that'll happen is that the prices increase (a problem that can easily be solved by a thief ;)). The fact that there're a lot of hostile NPCs running around doesn't matter very much, as they can't harm you anyway. Even the guards stop caring after a while.

Since Darth encountered those shadows in the sewers I feared that the Master Wraith would be too much, especially since I didn't allow myself to 'see the future' for him. The fact that he got injured during the dialogue didn't really help him. I wonder what would happen if your protagonist hap less than 50 hp... :grin:
    Anyway, this was one of the funniest games I have played, and I almost regret that I didn't start in BG1... Come to think of it, I may still do that someday. Maybe he'll just be a normal gnome until he discovers what he really is... :)

12. Kailynne Johanne Gems: 10/31

I have to say that I enjoyed the story despite its gruesome aspect. I will mourn the loss of Dart Gnomer and hope that a similar story might be started - as you suggested - from BG1 and wokred through BG2-SOA... That could make for fairly interesting reading, though, I have a feeling that being "so evil" must be a learned experience rather than just being born a "cannibal".

(And is it really cannibalisitc to eat those of other races? Human eating human - yes. Human eating elf? or halfling? I am not so sure. Kinda like hyena eating dog - related but not the same species.)

13. Namuras Gems: 13/31

Yeah, I was thinking that it might be a learned experience, the bloodlust may grow during the adventures of BG1, and get its explanation at the end. He may even have had a better charisma then, as he wasn't *that* evil back then. Maybe he even travelled with a party for a while... Who knows?
    The only problem I see is finding a reason to hunt down Irenicus in SoA, but that's nothing I need to worry about for the moment.
    Well, if I decide to start that game, I'll post it in the BG1-forum.

As for the cannibal thing. Well, no, it's probably not cannibalistic for a gnome to eat non-gnomes. The idea to summon Jan for food never occured to Darth. Besides, he liked halflings better.;) But who knows what he did in SoA... :grin:

14. void Guest

I loved the bit about the two short swords +2 and Illasera also it's quite comical to uae darth vadar's voice pack. Great job overall!

Cheers, Void.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.