1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Blizzard Starcraft / Brood War

Discussion in 'Warcraft & Starcraft' started by Elwithral Irenicus, Nov 8, 2005.

1. Elwithral Irenicus Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Does anyone know of this game? I'm guessing some of you will, seeing as though a lot of you have played Warcraft. Anyways, I play this online with some of my friends after school sometimes and I think its fun!

What y'all think? Any favorite missions/characters/units?

2. Faye

Faye Life is funny. Veteran

Media:
    LOVE this game. My favourite RTS yet, with a wonderful storyline and solid multiplayer due to superb balancing of wildly unique races.

Favourite characters would be Jim Raynor (Bruce Willis lookalike, witty and cool), Tassadar (selfless sacrifice, a true martyr) and the queen b***h Kerrigan (absolutely evil who looks too cool with those blades)

Favourite units would be none other than zerglings :D nothing beats the demolishing power of fully upgraded zerglings

3. Meatdog Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Not quite, the coolness factor would go to the Dark Templars. This is indeed a very good game, it might not have as much strategic value as other RTS (there was actually another RTS released at the same time as Starcraft, which I can't remember the name of, but that was much richer with regards to strategy), but few of them have reached that feeling of identity for their races, both graphically and unitlike, and of course, the marvelously written single player campaign, with, like probably most, Sarah Kerrigan as favorite character.

4. Incarnate Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

The fact that millions of people still play starcraft 7+ years after its release confirm the fact that it is the best strategy game ever , you only need to enter Bnet to realize that there is no limit to the number of strategies available in this game so gl and hf :)

5. LeFleur Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

brilliant game, very nice full motion videos too! I like the shot in which a couple of marines and ghosts go plant a bomb in a corrupted science vessel, so awesome! And the opening video of the expansion, yummie.

And great characters and units too, in fact they're all so cool I can't make a choice. But there's no denying marines are cool with their ''you want a piece of me, boy?'' Ah the memories, brilliant game...

6. Malovae Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

infested kerrigan is my fave character hands down!

fave unit is the Ghost. I know its not too powerful, but a 12 ghost squad is just too cool. For power I'd say the battlecruiser.... hmmm, its pretty obvious who mt faev side is :D

7. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Ages have passed since I last played but I've bought the game recently and am looking forward to playing it again. I wasn't bad with any of the races but I liked Terrans for errmm... being the human race and having familiar structures and units? And the Protoss for being neat and relatively powerful. Besides, what beats a good zealot rush early in the game? ;)

8. Uytuun Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Media:
    It's one of those games you all of sudden *crave* to play and find yourself installing for the umpteenth time before you realise it. A classic.

I've always liked the Protoss and the Terran best too, chev. :)

But I'm anti-rush. :shake:

9. Alavin

Alavin If I wanted your view, I'd read your entrails Veteran

I used to love it; it was the first game I bought. But now I've gone off strategy games. I find it boring now, and the action is too standard. The only RTS I like is Dawn of War.

10. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    A zergling rush several minutes earlier, leaving you pulling your hair out when your one zealot gets slaughtered :D

Always loved the Zerg. In raw strength they're probably the weakest side, but clever use of Queens and Defilers (especially Defilers!) can make them the deadliest.

Brood War's storyline is still the best I've seen in a strategy game. In fact until I played Brood War I had never thought a good story was something anyone would ever bother putting in a non-adventure, non-RPG game.

It's still the only RTS I regularly go back to. I had a bunch of friends back home who were also loved Starcraft, and we'd always get together for a LAN game. It was a great deal of fun.

11. Undertaker Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

Ah, Starcraft. I remeber those long nights on Battle.net with my friends :D I love Zerg and my fav. units are Hydralisks and Guardians.
    But why there is no Starcraft 2 yet :( The first game is so old now and Warcraft III wasn't that good (heroes suck in multiplayer game, they don't have permament death - this sucks so much)

12. Hugo Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

I love SC, I still play it quite often with a friend of mine who has 3 PCs LANned up in his place (yeah ancient PCs but hey, SC runs).

I prefer to Protoss, for their coolness AND their power. I consider them to be the most 'playable' race and I'll take on any zerg player, too.

Fave unit would be either the zealot or the dark templar for coolness... Although ghosts are pretty awesome too, they're just so damn weak. They should've been much more damaging, especially considering how frail they are.

Anyhow, great game. Best RTS I've ever played, IMO, and I've played a fair number.
    :borg:

13. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

One of the best strategy games I've ever played, but my CD broke and I still haven't gotten around to getting a replacement (now that I've got BG). If you like the Terrans, Brood War is a must for the Terran Medic. I personally prefer the Protoss; the chaos that a dozen or so Carriers can cause with 100+ interceptors flying around and making it next to impossible for your opponent to select any units that aren't in their hotkeyed groups is priceless. :evil:

14. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Ghosts... I remember my five ghost dropship raids next to the edge of the map. ;) I would stop on a platform before the enemy base, turn the cloak ability on and board the dropship, then unload cloaked dropships somewhere the enemy couldn't reach too easily, then order the five to launch a nuke at the same time. You only need two nukes to destroy all buildings within range (correct me if I'm wrong) and out of five ghosts, two should survive before the nukes fall.

15. NonSequitur Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Awesome game.

I was always a Zerg player at heart, just loved the whole racial concept, the units and my oh-so-nasty Infested Terrans. I think the Overmind was kind of stupid to do what it did, though. I didn't play much Brood War, but I did encounter the Torrasque... and it's fair to say it's a 'uge slobbering monster with few peers. In multiplayer, I usually preferred the Protoss and went nuts with Dark Templars (since most people didn't remember to build Detector units... fools!), although until BW came out, it was Zerg, Zerg, Zerg all the way, with Hydralisk as anti-air and Guardians blasting the ever-loving hell out of everything else.

The story arc was enjoyable, too, and you came to really like/hate some characters. The Raynor/Kerrigan/Mengsk interaction was especially good - even the romantic tensions between Jim and Sarah were well done and enhanced the story considerably. I was devastated by what happened at the end of the second-last Terran mission.

Heh, I thought the game was good enough just for the Terran unit quotes alone...

Vulture: "Awlright... bring it oon!"

Siege Tank: "I'm about to drop the hammer... and dispense some in-dee-scrimmin'-it justice!"

Science Vessel: "Who set all these lab monkeys free?"

Battlecruiser: "What do you mean, no shields? Well, grab on to something!"

Duke: "Y'all need some good ol'-fashioned DISCIPLINE, that's what you need!"

Raynor: "I can't believe you're actually gonna trust this snake!"
    Mengsk: "Don't worry, Jim - he's OUR snake now."

[ November 09, 2005, 04:44: Message edited by: NonSequitur ]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.