1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

'Birther' case brought by Orly Taitz thrown out of court as frivolous

Discussion in 'Alley of Lingering Sighs' started by Ragusa, Sep 16, 2009.

1. The Shaman Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

So basically you doubt the information provided in the link Drew gave? What proof do you need - obviously the original can not be presented to everyone who may doubt, or put in a museum somewhere. It has been confirmed time and again that Obama's certificate is real.

Furthermore, I doubt even this is necessary. As far as I know the child of a US parent is considered a US citizen by default, and Obama's mother is American.

2. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    Yes, well of course. I guess I'm not sure why you keep asking this, since it has nothing to do with Obama. The case has been to court numerous times and the legal test for this case has been concluded (if you don't believe us, you can research the Obama court cases). But you may just be speaking generally on this issue and not of a specfic case or instance.

And yes, to all those who ask, it is true that if a child is born outside the US and has an American parent that child CAN claim citizenship. So it doesn't really matter where Obama was actually born.

3. NOG (No Other Gods)

NOG (No Other Gods) Going to church doesn't make you a Christian

Media:
    Actually, only if the US parent lived within US territory or was on active duty within the last 5 years. Obama's mother did, though, so no problem.

Crucis, there are officials that need to see the original documentation and certify it before any candidate is placed on a nomination list. This was done for Obama. The official process was fulfilled.

4. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    We all know that 'the process is corrupt' and thus cannot be trusted, so their arch sin is that they didn't bother to personally include crucis, which is the perhaps crucial flaw of the entire thing. I mean, they say everything is all right - but can we be sure? Of course not!

It's like with Glenn Beck, who has that phone on his desk, desperately waiting for the Whitehouse and probably Elvis to call him to explain to him the marvels of this world. But alas, the phone remains silent, and that can only be the harbinger of something very, very sinister. Like Tyranny. Or Hitler. I mean, they could just call and dispel the outlandish nonsense Beck spouts on his show, and that they don't suggests they can't, which implies Beck is right :eek:

Ziad likes this.
  5. NOG (No Other Gods)

Media:
    Or that he just forgot to plug it in. :p

Obama: "Have you tried calling Beck again? That guy's really getting on my nerves!"

Aid: "Yes, we just tried a few minutes ago, they're still saying the number isn't in service. ... Do you think he forgot to plug it in?"

Obama: "..." *facepalm*

6. Ragusa

Media:
    You don't understand, that it isn't plugged in is the very point of it standing on Beck's desk.

7. NOG (No Other Gods)

Media:
    ... it was a joke. Ok, maybe a bad one, I don't watch Beck.

8. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    Actually here's the law:

Here's the link for anyone who wants to know the real technical and legal fine points.

http://travel.state.gov/law/family_issues/birth/birth_593.html

9. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Crucis - not sure if you are really questioning Obama's documentation or something else. If the latter, I'm sorry, but I'm missing your point. If the former, I don't understand what you are saying. Obama was put on the ballot. He presented evidence suitable to allow that to happen to the required person/agency before it happened. Every challenge has been stricken as baseless. Thus, unless you really are holding out simply because you personally were not shown evidence to satisfy your needs (which I doubt is the case), I am seriously missing something here.

Look, we can complain about Obama for many things -- but not being a US citizen isn't one of them.

10. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I cannot believe this argument is still going on between intelligent people (Orly is a different matter -- she's an idiot and a nutcase rolled into one). Obama presented his birth certificate already and the State of Hawaii has verified his birth certificate -- what's at issue here?

11. Drew

Drew Arrogant, contemptible, and obnoxious Adored Veteran

Media:
    Gullibility.

12. Ragusa

Media:
    Orly Taitz conduct in court is catching up with her. As we who are following her extraordinary adventures know, a formal ethics complaint (downloads file) was filed against her with the California Bar Association. She is now soon having her disciplinary hearing. Anyway, Orly explains:
    That's from her web site, and I refuse to provide a direct link. So she is being given time until February 26 to respond to the charges made against her with the California Bar Association. Something must have made her aware that a (wo)man who is his own lawyer has a fool for his client as she has hired a professional attorney.

That would be progress. Also, as the proceedings are confidential, there is little risk she will use them as a platform for birtherisms. But then, there are her predictable interviews ...

13. NOG (No Other Gods)

Media:
    Ragusa, you pointed out that that quote was from here website. Do you consider it at least a semi-accurate assessment? I mean, did the judge really tell a lawyer they're not allowed to file any more motions (without disbarring them first)?

14. Ragusa

Media:
    NOG, mind you, that it is from her site suggests that it is not accurate. The reason why I didn't provide a link is that my computer reports her web site as an attacking web site.

I am largely unfamiliar with US law, but my gut feeling is that judges can do that, for the same reason they can impose fines on or order the arrest of people for contempt of court. Lest we forget, Taitz was throwing rubbish and outlandish accusations at the judge from the onset, giving press conferences in which she called judge Land a traitor and an idiot.

Only because she's a crazy lawyer that doesn't mean she gets a pass and is allowed to pester the judge with whatever silliness her overheated brain comes up with.

15. NOG (No Other Gods)

Media:
    And I'd understand if he held her in contempt for outlandish or ridiculous filings, but the quote made it sound like any filings. That sounds on par with 'I'll hold you in contempt if you appeal my ruling'. That's why I asked your assessment. It's one thing to put an aggressive spin on something that actually happened, but something else entirely to flat out change the ruling or claim they did something they didn't do.

16. Ragusa

Media:
    NOG,
    as long as she is member of the bar she can represent clients in court and may even succeed when her claims have merit. The judge didn't challenge that. The restriction imposed on her by Judge Land was for her unbelievable adventures during that particular case with that particular judge.

Probably, the $ 20.000 fine imposed by Judge Land is the least of her current problems (assuming she is able to pay). The California Bar Association might indeed also fine or suspend or expel her if or when they find her unfit to be a lawyer or for having seriously violated the Bar's code of ethics.

17. NOG (No Other Gods)

Media:
    Ok, so his actual restriction was just for his case? That would make a lot more sense.

18. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    I don't think Ragusa meant ALL filings, just any more regarding Obama's citizenship and place of birth. It has been proven ad naseum that Obama was born in the US (Hawaii specifically) to a mother who was a US citizen. She has brought numerous cases, and submitted forged documents as "evidence" that Obama is not a natural born US citizen. The judge is saying enough of such silliness.

19. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Adored Veteran

Media:
    :banana:

[​IMG]

20. Ragusa

Media:
    Snook, you are silly :D

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.