1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

'Birther' case brought by Orly Taitz thrown out of court as frivolous

Discussion in 'Alley of Lingering Sighs' started by Ragusa, Sep 16, 2009.

1. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] Who, who has seen it, could forget Orly Taitz performance on Obama's birth certificate in the below MSNBC interview.

Taitz is an attorney, and represents Capt. Connie Rhodes, who refused deployment to Iraq on grounds that Obama is allegedly a foreign national and unfit to be president and not his commander in chief.

Well, the complaint was tossed out of court U.S. District Court Judge Clay Land. Land put Taitz on notice by stating that she could face sanctions if she ever files a similar "frivolous" lawsuit in his court. One doesn't read stuff like that from judges every day.
    Now what shall one say, reason suggests as much. Will it end the 'Birther Madness'? No. Taitz has gotten what she wanted - publicity. And the people gullible enough to believe in that nonsense anyway, or even sue, won't stop to do so only because of a court decision.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2015
  2. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    This CAPT Connie Rhodes needs a dishonorable discharge. I can think of at least four charges -- any of which could result in a DD and prison time.

Taitz is an idiot.

3. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Oh, this definitely isn't the end of it. Why? Because according to Taitz, "somebody should consider trying [the judge] for treason and aiding and abetting this massive fraud known as Barack Hussein Obama." Got that? Since the judge who threw it out is, evidently, a puppet of Obama, "the truth" will never get out.

It'll last forever, now.

4. Drew

Drew Arrogant, contemptible, and obnoxious Adored Veteran

Media:
    Absolutely.

5. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    Ties in to the other thread, but it needs to be said, and said unequivocally: the Birther nonsense is in large part racism. Why so? Consider: in the Northeast, 90% of those polled thought Obama was a natural born citizen. In the South, fewer than half of those polled thought the same, while 20% thought he was not a natural born citizen and 30% were unsure whether or not he was.

As for the Captain, he merits dishonorable discharge for sure, but no prison time.

6. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    As a former military officer I can tell you the officer corps takes a dim view of an officer missing a unit's movement to a war zone (which borders on desertion) and dereliction of duty. Add to that this officer is using a line of bull **** to show extreme disrespect to the commander in chief. Such acts are examples of extreme cowardice. If I could try him for treason I would. Prison time is very much in order -- and not at a pleasant Club Fed environment -- Fort Leavenworth (where the Marine guards ensure cowards are treated properly).

7. AMaster Gems: 26/31

Media:
    The thing is, I'm more or less on record being in favor of what I understand to be the military's approach to those who refuse to deploy to Iraq/Afghanist, which is: see ya. Don't let the door hit you. AIUI, they really only court martial deserters who, like, turn themselves in and they'd prefer not even to deal with them. Point being, I can't really then turn around and say 'but you're an even bigger jackass than most, so go to prison'.

Also, the fact that I'm of military age and not serving makes me reluctant to call anyone else a coward.

8. NOG (No Other Gods)

NOG (No Other Gods) Going to church doesn't make you a Christian

Media:
    Wow, that lady's a lawyer? I could tell from the first 5 seconds it wouldn't go well, though the interviewers weren't really listening, either. They were evidently looking for a fight with a loon.

AMaster, I'd just like to point out that political association varies largely from north to south as well. We all know the "Bible Belt" is the home of the Religious Right movement, and for good reason.

I don't know about the military officer. I don't know enough about the military to come to any opinion.

9. Ragusa

Media:
    It casts doubt on the Republican claim to be 'strong on the military' when their kooky attack dogs like Taitz carry the unrest they provoke in America's society into the armed forces. The Birther nonsense claims the CIC is illegitimate and that creates disciplinary problems and if it spreads probably problems with unit cohesion as well.

On a related note: In the end what the Birthers do is simple PR. They tell people they have a terrible problem (like an alleged usurper as president) that they have the solution for (to join them, the 9/12ers or other Republican surrogates, in protesting the usurper). Handy.
    From this interesting blog post: Deodorant Ads Help Us Learn About an Important Word: Incitement

10. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
  11. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    They covered this case on the Rachael Maddow show later in the day. At that point, they had acquired a copy of the judge's written statement dismissing the law suit. I found this quote from the judge's dismissal priceless: "Unlike in Alice in Wonderland saying something is so, does not make it so."

12. T2Bruno

Media:
    Nice joacqin -- I didn't notice that before.

13. coineineagh

coineineagh I wish for a horde to overrun my enemies Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

14. Ragusa

Media:
    Oh really?

[​IMG]

Needed to look that up. Good find :)

15. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Doh, I was just about to post that, but then I scrolled down... :shake:

Another one to add to my list of "Idiots who actually managed to get a PhD". The sheer number of utter cretins with a doctorate is just staggering. Not that there aren't plenty of idiots all around, but it seems that climbing the educational ladder doesn't do much to weed them out...

Blades of Vanatar likes this.
  16. Ragusa

Media:
    She's at it again!

Orly Taitz is like a car accident. Her kookery is so awful that one simply just cannot look away.

Orly certainly hasn't been idle the last days. In interviews after getting her case tossed, she had compared herself with Nelson Mandela, and called for the judge tossing her case to be tried for treason. That got her a formal complaint by a fellow member of the California bar. On Thursday she filed an emergency motion to said 'treasonous' judge on behalf of her client. She didn't address the court order in her new motion, justifying it with a lack of time - after seeking expedited proceedings herself :shake:

Judge Land was not pleased, and asked her in response why a $ 10.000 "sanction for misconduct" should not be imposed on her, giving her two weeks to respond. Key quotes:
    Especially hilarious is this part:
    Full court order here. Enjoy.

17. AMaster Gems: 26/31

Media:
    [​IMG]

Ziad and 8people like this.
  18. NOG (No Other Gods)

NOG (No Other Gods) Going to church doesn't make you a Christian

Media:
    ... WTF? Is that the Cthulu version or something?

19. AMaster Gems: 26/31

Media:
    en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R'lyeh

20. The Shaman Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

/munching popcorn

So, let me get this straight, that Capt. Connie Rhodes is actually paying money for that ? I don't know if she can face her peers after such an embarassment.

Edit: ouch. Apparently she isn't - paying this Dr. Taitz, I mean. Apparently a few days ago Cpt. Rhodes wrote a letter saying she already left for Iraq and she has not authorized Orly Taitz to continue the case (linky: http://www.scribd.com/doc/19905657/...wal-of-motion-to-stay-Govuscourtsgamd77605180 ). Yeah, looks like Ms Taitz has really gone overboard on that one. I actually think she's trying to gain publicity for herself, rather than any advancement for her cause.

I actually wonder how sincere Capt. Rhodes is about this, though; I think it's possible that someone higher up told her to stop this charade asap. I can't know for sure, but I imagine her superiors are not exactly happy about the entire affair, especially how Taitz continued about it. Still, this is just speculation. I definitely wouldn't want to be in her shoes now, either way.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2009
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.