1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Biggest butt kicking?

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate (Classic)' started by Brallrock, Nov 9, 2005.

1. Abdel - Bhaal Spawn Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

The first time I used Power Word reload was the Orgillians on my first trip down to Naskel. One blow and down my figther went. After that I walked around them just to get to Naskel.

Now that I am experienced I just send in Khaliad and let everyone else pelt them with missile weapons.

2. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

same, used to get schooled by gibberlings and wolves the first couple of times i played the game, until i figured out how to play it. Baldur's Gate was the first RPG I'd ever played after Diablo first came out :rolleyes:

But the biggest buttkicking i got was, when you click on a certain tombstone in Nashkell a few times, a mage appears and summons around 10 of these creatures that are immune to fire and they all have something like that sword from BG2, because every time They land a hit, a fireball explodes. Got my ass kicked even with all my characters maxed out at level 7

3. Western Paladin Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Veteran

Oh yeah! I forgot about them. I'm becoming reacquainted with them now that I'm playing Tutu. As long as I'm playing a class that can have Sleep memorized at the start of the game, I can get away in one piece. :lol:

4. Brallrock Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

Butt kicked again! My evil party (me F/M, Edwin, Monty) decided to step up to the evil plate and dispose of that do-gooder Drizzt (can't use Defender, but sure can sell his stuff for some good cash).

Well in his supreme arrogance Monty sais we could just up and kick his a$$, Edwin was pissed I was talking to him, so we just waded right in.

First hit........Monty died.

Second hit and I was quaffing potions.

Third hit.........I never bothered Edwin again!!!!

So much for the hasted straight-on approach, I never should have listened to Monty!

5. Cantlos Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

First time though with my evil fighter thief I tried backstabbing the guy in candlekeep who gives you the identify scroll, not Firebead. (can't remember the name and someone borrowed tha game)

Later I read the manual, and it states he was protected by 2 Gods. Man was I in a world of hurt.

6. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

@Cantlos:
    If you're talking about the guy in the inner grounds, it's Tethoril. And considering what he does for you later in the game, killing him would pretty much ruin the plot. Being protected by gods is just an excuse. ;)

7. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    First time through? Just about everything got me. My tendancy is to explore every map carefully. I did fine in Candlekeep. Behaved myself outside of trying to open every chest when no one was around. (I usually play a fighter/theif and dual Imoen to mage at earliest possible moment.) Out of Candlekeep I head for FAI but I like to explore each map throughly. Meet ogre-reload. Meet wolves-reload. You get the picture. Get to FAI and hurry up the stairs-reload. Tried that a couple of times before I discovered the secret is slow down, stay at bottom, let him come to you then the guards take care of him. The game progressed pretty much that way until I learned a little reserve.

However I think my biggest 'butt-kicking' was a later game. My own PC did me in. My PDN is taken from a character born in IWDII. Some assumed I played the character in BG. I thought that's a great idea. So we started on our adventure and things were going well until the Bhaalspawn powers started developing. Now the graphics didn't show it but I swear she sat down on the ground and said, "I ain't no Bhaalspawn and I ain't going anywhere. Just get me out of this game. I do not belong here!

I had to go back and start the game over with another character.

8. Cap'n CJ

Cap'n CJ Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    My biggest kicking would have to be the first time I ever played, against the guy on the steps of the FAI. He tore me to shreds :D

9. omnigodly Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Veteran

Spoiler(maybe)

Nashkel mines, (yes kinda quick eh?). The first kobold Commando you fight in that tight wall space. His fire Arrows kill me level 1-2 party, EVERY TIME. I don't get how come I'm unable to level up before that... but yes, he whipes the floor with me, (I resorted to Ctrl+y to continue).

10. JiggaJay Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

I have two biggest butt kickings, the first one was on my very first game and the guy who tries to kill you at Friendly Arm Inn totally owned me (sad, i know) the battle went like this:

Guy at Friendly Arm casts Fear
    PC Fear
    Imoen Fear
    Xzar Fear
    Montaron Fear

PC's party mills around while Guy at Friendly arm tears them to pieces with Magic missile.

My second other biggest butt kicking was when I first tried to kill Drizzt. No more words are needed.

11. Cantlos Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

@ Fel: Ah, Tethoril... That be his name. Tried it again later with a playable sarevok mod. Didn't help either...

Narsissus Harwilliger Neen (Slime Guy at nashkel mine exit) was also quite the troublesome one. Well, his slimes were. Did Ajantis in before he could move. The rest followed quite quickly.

12. omnigodly Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Veteran

@JiggaJay

I agree... The first battle @ Friendly Arms Inn. I remember the first time I played BG way back when, I only beat him because my strategy was - walk close enough he'll start following me, (move myself and imoen back to where there are at least 4 gaurds), then attack when the time is right!

I died at least 20-30 times to this man, because a single magic missile killed my PC!!!

13. Lynadin Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

I'm always having trouble with the welcoming party at the top of the Iron Throne :rolleyes:

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.