1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

BGIII, what rules?

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate 3' started by Tiberius, Sep 17, 2004.

1. Poet-Sirrah Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

I dislike 3e because of the lack of weapons, lack of planescape, lack of xvarts, etc. etc. Skills are the PITS. I don't want to spend 30 minutes upgrading my character and choosing between skills that do nothing. The blackguard, for example, requires ranks in hide. WTF?? A lot of nice spells were nerfed, like faerie fire.

2. Urithrand

Urithrand Mind turning the light off? ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] I think everyone dislikes new rules to start with. You become a novice again just like everyone else, having to read the descriptions of what everything does. Eventually you get to grips with it and I quite like NWN now, even though I hated it to start with. 3.5E still annoys me cause the descriptions of everything are so vague :mad:

3. Marceror

Marceror Chaos Shall Be Sown In Their Footsteps Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Pfeh!! I thought Jan Jansen was an illusionist rather than a necromancer. I guess I was wrong.

4. Cap'n CJ

Cap'n CJ Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    I would like BGIII to use the 3.5E rules, because I play PnP on them.

My only experiences of the older rules come from BG and BG2.

5. midnytebluewolf Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I have played rpg"s for years and have seen 1st and second edition rules come and go now and cant stand 3rd edition. I love the BG series and will play it again and again until my copy disinegrates. I cant stand to play NWN the only reason I played it through until the end was because I spent the money on the game to begin with. I will buy BGIII if it comes out but im thinking it will not be anything like the other ones

6. Atreus Gems: 1/31

Veteran

Aye, will second that. Played NWN and expansion packs for about 4 months and then went back to BG. Cannot stand the game now. Might see if NWN2 is better. I played BG since I was 5 (!) and can't bear to see what they did to the best RPG setting for decades. 3rd edition in BG-type setting would just seem wierd to me.

7. Caldera Gems: 1/31

I'm guessing that you haven't played Icewind Dale 2 then. 3rd edition rules in the Infinity game engine. Worked really, really well (whether the story was great is another issue, my point is that 3rd edition worked well IMHO).

3rd edition allows for so much more flexibility and balance than 2nd and D&D games using this system run really well.

And there is no point wondering if BGIII will be 3.5. If it's ever made it will use current rules sets. There is no question about it. Personally I think it's a good thing. To me 2nd edition seems old, dated and past its use by date.

Oh an btw, NWN2 is good, but if you don't like 3rd edition rules and didn't like the first game, I can't imagine that you'll like it much.

8. BlckDeth Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Veteran

First of all, BG is dead. It is a legacy, and its glory days are long gone. To me, Baldur's Gate and all its predacessors were brillant works of art (ok fine, TotSC was merely "good", but still). The storyline has been concluded, and the trilogy came to a close years ago. After years of closure, how would all of you feel if you were to experience the same sort of letdown with BGIII that NWNII had to offer? I don't think my heart could take the hit, honesty. Let the series rest in peace, people! And to answer the question, I would honestly prefer the 3.5e rules for BGIII (must as I would hate to see such a game surface). For while 3.5e arguably created new balance issues, I personally feel that it solved more problems than it created. IWDII's 3e rules, while it was obviously not at the level BG/BGII was at in terms of plot, really helped to smooth things out IMO. AC was also made much simpler (and in a good way, too), and you no longer needed a calculator and a math major to figure out your f***ing chance to hit someone. Seriously, THAC0 and its ilk were a wee bit ridiculous. Saves were also much-improved, and were compressed into 3 broad categories, which was very useful when trying to find out whether or not you should be dead, especially in D&D. However, since using a computer tends to nullify most of the issues that I brought up, really the only reason that I would wish for BGIII to go 3e would be for the increased character customization--although IWDII didn't implement the skill factor very well, I really thought that it had the potential to supplement my character(s) more extensively. 2e was just a bit too "old school" for me, even if those were the glory days...sometimes it's time to move on.

9. Marceror

Marceror Chaos Shall Be Sown In Their Footsteps Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    At the rate BG3 development is going atm, it may end with D&D 4.0 rules, or higher!

10. Half-elven Duergar Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

If people think 3.5e is good, 3e better and 2e best (as most people in this thread pointed out), I figure 4e rules would suck. It'd be like playing Dungeon Siege where you had to place scrolls on your spell book to cast it and replace it with another scroll to cast another spell -sucks-.

Anyway, I enjoyed IWD2 just as I enjoyed BG and BG2, so I guess 2e or 3e would be great for BG3. Like all the others, I wish it would'nt be like NWN. I enjoyed NWN, SoU, HotU (somehow). But I also had issues with the game. If BG3 is a console port, then it'd be like NWN, hopefully not. There's just something about playing crpgs with chasecam that I don't like... *shivers*

[ November 24, 2006, 04:57: Message edited by: Half-elven Duergar ]

11. ChickenIsGood Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

I miss THAC0 :(

Really it wasn't any harder, all you had to do was subtract your target's AC from your THAC0 and it told you what to roll. The only difference is that now you add your hit bonus to your opponets AC. All they did was flip it around, but I got used to the 2nd edition style... and there are few things like saying THAC0 phonetically.

[ November 25, 2006, 00:58: Message edited by: ChickenIsGood ]

12. BlckDeth Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Veteran

THAC0=funny word lol. I know it wasn't really any harder to compute, but it was pretty unintuitive IMO...

13. ion Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

notice how supporters of 2e always talk more about how attached they are to the 2e rules instead of valid reasons why 2e is better than 3e

14. Old One

Old One The Old Warrior ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

@ Ion
    Not better, different. I like some features but can't stand the level up method of 3e. Unfortunately for the multi classing I like it's necessary not to have separate leveling up requirements for the classes.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.