1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

BG2 Pet Peeves

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by hazefire, Aug 24, 2004.

1. hazefire Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

[​IMG] I don't know about the rest of you, but there are certain things I have to do whenever I play BG2. For example, the first quest I always do is the D'Arnise Keep, if I did something before that, I'd go crazy. Also, I always have Jaheira in my group and on the rare occasion I need to get Imoen out- I kill her before I throw her out so I don't get the guilt trip.

Maybe I'm just an obsessive compulsive freak, but does anyone else have certain preferences for how they play the game? I mean something consistent that you do every time without even thinking about it.

Oh, and I’m also new, and a huge minority because I’m 15 and a girl. Hi.

2. Djieff Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Now THAT's some weird logic - maybe you should try the NPC Shredder :p

To answer your question, if I don't do the circus tent quest immediately after getting out of Château Irenicus, I feel like something is seriously wrong. Ditto if I let Mencar & Co. live for more than a few minutes...

And welcome to the Boards! Say goodbye to the real world!

3. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    I always go to the Copper Coronet first and do the Slaver quest. I always finish off all the quests before leaving for Spellhold, unless by chance I'm planning on taking Imoen, in which case I do the Slaver Quest, get the 15,000 gp, and leave without ever doing another quest, and having just paltry starting equipment.

4. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Yay! More girls! (And no, I don't mean it that way. You perverts. :p ) Welcome to the Boards :)

Anyway, I get antsy if I don't go on a stealing spree right off to raise gold for some of my favorite items. (But I don't do the steal/sell routine with the same vendor.) Which means I usually have a rogue in my party, and I rarely play lawful.

5. Shrikant

Shrikant Swords! Not words! Veteran

I always finish the Sir Sarles quest in the good way and then go back and summon a gated creature on his ass.
    No reason that creep should be allowed to live :p

6. Dendri Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

The first thing I accomplish after leaving Irenicus dungeon is thoroughly trashing the romance with Jaheira. Next I finish the Ployer quest and start the involvement with them Harpers. That way Meronia comes our way and snatches Jaheira away. The sooner the better. Cant have her soak up that precious xp. :mad: Makes room for another NPC, too.

Oh, and I just have to get my hands on the Ring of Gaxx asap.

Then its time to head for Spellhold. :)

P.S.: I hope Beren wont hurt me...

7. hazefire Gems: 2/31

Aww! You guys are so nice for a gaming community, I can hardly belive this! I sense ulterior motives....

As for saying good-bye to the real world. Doesn't anyone that gets sucked into the dark, endless web we call BG2 say good-bye to the real world?

I always do the stealing-selling back thing for money too; I just can't go on with shoddy equipment for some reason.

8. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    The first time I played through the game I didn't know which weapons I'd end up using, so every time I got a new special (ie "named") item I'd stash it in my Stronghold for later. It became something of a habit: every time I go through the game I don't sell those items, but keep them instead, even though I *know* I won't be using them.

Like Aldeth, I finish every single quest (including all Stronghold quests if applicable) before going to Spellhold. However, if Imoen's included in my final party build, I rush to Spellhold as soon as I finish the Slavers quest (and get the money), postponing all quests (including Stronghold) until chapter 6.
    (Spellhold is tough with a low level party!)

9. Takara

Takara My goodness! I see turnips everywhere

Media:
    I'm the same as Djieff. First thing after I get out of the Irenicus hilton is the circus tent, and whooping Mencar pebblecrushers butt. I never take Aerie, and go straight on to the D'arnise hold quest. Since I'm normally a fighter, I want to get the stronghold ASAP, to maximise the chance that I'll get most events before I leave for spellhold. I find I HAVE to do every quest I can before going there. The only exception is Kangaxx, who I only take on after the underdark as he is too powerful.

10. Drumheller Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

I only take Imoen and use Dungeon-Be-Gone to skip Chateau Irenicus. Next I hit the Circus, go shopping, do Copper Coronet quests, Lilarcor, and Slavers. Then I pick up NPC's for my party, pay off Gaelan, and pick up RoP+2 and Amulet of Power from Aran.

I always beat Kangaxx before Spellhold, usually with MoD+2.

I make Copper Coronet my base of operations. That means I usually sell the magical items I find to Bernard or Joluv and stash the stuff I want to keep (but not carry) in the chest by Annoymen.

11. Alavin

Alavin If I wanted your view, I'd read your entrails Veteran

After leaving Irenicus' Dungeon I sell any loot I have to Mira, the nearby merchant, then go to the Slums. Then I do the Stronghold quest, whichever that might be, and use this money to get to Spellhold as soon as possible. I leave most of the quests until chapter 6.

12. Paine Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Hi hazefire! Nice to see another fellow gamer chick around these parts! :)

First thing I do is the circus quest. Which is odd, because I can't stand Aerie. ^^; But, it just seems like it *fits* as the first quest to do after Chateau Irenicus (which, btw I have not actually done in a dog's age--thank the gods for Dungeon-Be-Gone!).

Count me as one of those people who finishes every last quest possible before Spellhold. Immy can wait. :evil: Though, I am thinking that my next time through the game, I am going to just grab my core NPCs and then high-tail it to Spellhold. Not out of any concern for Immy, oh no--it's because I want Solaufein ASAP without consoling him in. Yes, I'm a fangirl. Shut up. :p

I can't go anywhere without Haer'Dalis. Having a party without him is unthinkable to me. So what if he's not as good as some of the other NPCs? He's pretty and gets all the good lines. :p

13. Jhonka

Jhonka This is the face of Justice Veteran

After the magical Immortal Bard of Dungeon-Be-Gone does his thing, I always, ALWAYS hit the circus tent; like others, I feel kinda dirty if I don't do it right off. Even though I never take her along, leaving Aerie as an ogre seems wrong. :p I usually do just about every quest before heading to the Asylum, since I rarely have Imoen in my final party plans. If I do, she replaces Yoshimo when he goes.

Also, a huge Jhonka welcome to you, hazefire. :) I hope you stick around, the people here are great!

14. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

hehe. so how YOU doin'? ;)

15. NonSequitur Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

I'm one of those people who has a hard time not using Jaheira, Minsc and Imoen in any non-evil party. This makes life difficult at times, and I'm sure there's as many people who loathe these three as adore them, but I just can't bring myself to boot them out. They're like family after you play through BG1 with them, and it's hard to say goodbye after they help me out of Chateau Irenicus (I never, ever rest in the dungeon - it doesn't feel right).

Once free, it's straight to the circus, then to the Copper Coronet, then usually to the Umar Hills regardless of which class or how evil my character is. I tend to do a lot of the quests before hitting Spellhold - not sure why, just feel like I should be better prepared (and because I still fear and respect the illithids). If I have a pet peeve with BG2, it's that I never feel ready for Spellhold and the Underdark unless my character's items are good, the party is working well, and the romance is well advanced. Which means I'm usually level 14 by the time I go there.

Oh, and welcome to the boards, hazefire - I hope you enjoy it as much as the rest of us do.

16. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Let's stick to the topic here, shall we? New members can open a thread in SS if they want to chat, or you can PM them if you do (and they feel like it).

17. Benan Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

I always play as a good character. I include evil characters, but I'm always leaning towards good.

18. hazefire Gems: 2/31

Hmm, sorry about the off-topicness, I didn't want to make a huge deal about being new so I just slipped it in here.

I'm also a Solafuein fan girl, but I wouldn't be if it weren't for the fact Anomens so gross--which is another pet peeve, I never have Anomen and I always insult him wheater I'm good or evil.

19. Djieff Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

hazefire: I think Tal's comment was aimed at Enagonios, not at you (at least I hope so). New members saying "hello" in their first post happens all the time.

Benan's comment made me realize that even if I love playing an all-evil party, I can never seem to go "all the way" -- you know, murdering spree, a**hole answers all the time, etc. because I'm afraid I might "miss" something and be unable to complete a quest. Stupid, I know :p

[Yep, that's right.] -Tal

[ August 26, 2004, 19:38: Message edited by: Taluntain ]

20. Ruddiger Gems: 2/31

The first thing I always do is get stuck in Irenicus' dungeon and have to cheat to get out, because the golem "appears busy", then there's chapter 3, where Aran Linvail "appears busy", then I set my computer on fire and throw it out my window...

edit: thanks to everyone below for their advice

[ September 11, 2004, 18:14: Message edited by: Ruddiger ]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.