1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

BG Tutu after upgrade from Vista to Win7

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Jondar, Mar 17, 2010.

1. Jondar Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

[​IMG] Confusion rules at this moment!
    I spent alot of time after upgrading from XP to Vista to get all my legacy games (Baldur's Gate(s), Diablo II, Icewind Dale(s), etc.) working properly. Now I've upgraded to Win7 (about a month ago). Both Icewind Dales work fine. BG II works fine. Diablo II and all mods work fine. All saved games from Vista to Win7 for these games are fine. BG Tutu, I discovered, is another matter. I just fired up a saved game from Vista today and all was fine until I went to go south of Beregost. Crash to desktop. Over and over. It does not come up with any error message. I made the mistake of not creating a "real save" and at that point, only had Auto save and Quick save. I'm bad!
    This is what I've been able to figure out so far: Since BG II works OK, that is not the problem. BG I does not work and comes up with the following error:
    "An Assertion failed in D:bad:Dev\chitin\Chitin.cpp at line number 1376
    Programmer says: Error initializing key table, bad key file"
    Not sure what that means. I'm thinking the Vista to Win7 upgrade did something to it.
    My "not so quick" fix is to reinstall the entire Tutu setup. Will that work?
    If this works, will the saved games work? I'm thinking they will not.
    If the "Chitin.cpp" is corrupt, it's probably in the saved games. Am I wrong?

Last edited: Mar 17, 2010
  2. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Do a search for Beregost bug and you'll find what you are looking for. IIRC, it's a bug related to BG I.

3. Sir Rechet

Sir Rechet I speak maths and logic, not stupid Veteran

Or more specifically, to BG1Tutu/EasyTutu.

When entering Beregost, it's ALWAYS a good idea to make a save prior to entering. Auto-save won't work as it'll get overwritten again when you leave. The irritating part of the bug is that you won't notice your game is a goner *while* in Beregost, but you'll invariably crash to desktop when entering any area after it if you got bitten by the bug.

To double-check your game's integrity after your visit to Beregost, save your game (do NOT overwrite the one you made prior to entering it!!) and reload the save you just made. If that works, you're fine.

Personally, I just make two semi-permanent saves "Pre-Beregost" and "Post-Beregost", and reuse them every time I feel a need to pay a visit there.

4. Silverstar Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

This is a common and known bug, as others so kindly said. There might have been a fixer around somewhere. I always practice 'pre-gost' and 'after-gost' saves. Before entering Beregost, make a save named 'Pre-gost'. When you enter Beregost, make a save named 'Beregost'. Now, leave Beregost and enter another area. Save your game there and name it 'After-gost'. Now quit game.

Try loading 'After-gost' save game. If it loads without problems, the bug has not hit and now you can load back to 'Beregost' save, it will be uncorrupted for the time being, so do what you need to do at Beregost. If it fails, the bug has hit. Reload to Pre-gost save, delete Beregost and Aftergost saves, and try again.

If at some point you need to go back to Beregost, always practice this method.

http://www.shsforums.net/topic/24121-release-beregost-crash-fixer/ Try this forum, their fixer might work.

5. Jondar Gems: 3/31

Thanks to all for replying so quickly!

Yes. I am aware of the "Beregost Bug" as I have experienced it in the past on my XP system (I normally have 2 systems going. 1 - XP for work/internet and 1 - Vista/Win7 for gaming). But, at that time I had a multitude of saves to fall back on and managed to work around it. This time was the exception. Duh!!! :o
    It usually hit me when I returned to Beregost from the south (right to desktop). So, I started to take a different return path either from the east or the west. This worked pretty much all the time. (Don't know why this worked).
    I normally give Thunderhammer Smithy the Angkeg shell from the farm area north of the FAI. Thus, I must return to Beregost for the armor.
    @Siverstar - I'll check out the SHS Forums and try the...
    Arrrg!!! I just remembered, I forgot to apply the crash fixer which is on the XP system but not on the Vista/Win7 system (the XP system used to be my do all computer before putting together the new one). It took me the better part of 2 days after the upgrade to Vista on my gaming computer to get all the games on there up and running and I forgot. :bang:
    Now the only icon I can use is :o

Edit 5 minutes later: Well, I guess if that's the only thing I forgot in all those games, I must be doing OK.

---------- Added 3 hours, 10 minutes and 46 seconds later... ----------

The Beregost Crash Fixer worked.
    I had to download Java before I did anything. But, I'm back in. :)
    On to Nashkell and the mines.
    Thanks to all for jogging this old memory!!! :thanks:

6. Acrux Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Veteran

I LOVE the Beregost Crash Fixer. I remember the first time I used it, dubiously expecting a hassle-intensive experience. Nope - works like a charm first time, every time. It even works on quicksaves!

7. Jondar Gems: 3/31

Oops. Happened again. :(
    I guess I'm going to have to break down and do another full install. Now I'm wondering if I'm going to have problems with the IWDs, Diablo, etc.
    BG2 seems to play fine. But, I haven't gone that far into it since the Vista to Win7 upgrade. BG1 will not play at all. I think that's the main problem.
    I thought that I wouldn't have to re-install all the games for this upgrade. I knew that I had to after the XP to Vista upgrade.
    Oh well, not the end of the world. I'll get it right soon. ;)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.